How important is marriage to you?

How much importance do you place on marriage? How much do you value the concept of marraige? Do you want to get married someday (if you aren't already)?

Some people say that marriage is an outdated institution. Others feel that it holds a central place in their values and culture as well as religious importance. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an atheist and I believe marriage is not for all. Marriage takes a lot of compassion and aultruism and not all people are equipped to live a lifestyle like that. Personally I want to get married simply for the experience of learning to love someone nearly as much as I love myself through building a family. It makes me feel happy. If in addition to that I could find someone that made that experience easier to do I'd like that even more. I think when children grow up in a home that displays the compassion involved in romantic relationships they grow up with a boost towards the direction of living a happier life. So with that being said I don't think it's the marriage that matters but the parents attitude and behavior but I do think marriage can help that. I think marriage is a timeless institution but simply not for everyone. When it comes down to marriage's importance to my life however I think you'd be shocked with how low of a priority it is for me. It's a desire of mine but I also feel entirely comfortable with never experiencing it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always wanted to get married... but not now though. It isn't because i don't believe in marriage, It's due to an experience i had with an ex who i was in a long- term relationship with. He took everything i had. It devastated me. I had to rebuild my life again. The fear of losing everything i have struggled to get back is too daunting of a thought for me. I won't ever put myself in that vulnerable position again

When i hear of people getting married or see beaitiful brides my heart melts and i sigh, because deep down it is what i want and believe in, but i know it will never be.

What Guys Said 35

• Let's pencil in a "Quite"
    As always.
    Que Sera Sera.
    You can't force fate.

Forcing yourself to marry because "it's time" is just setting yourself up for a life of misery and pain.

There are things that can be planned.
    Love isn't one of them.

• "You can't force fate."
      Indeed!

I would point out however that fate favors the prepared.

• You can be prepared when it comes.

Besides, I don't think love is just some illusive spirit that comes and goes as it pleases and you have no say in the matter. You can go out and do what you can to find it.

• @Bluemax
      I don't know... love that you look for seems to be a bit... artificial.
      It's like... fishing in a man-made pond where the pond owner replenishes the fishes every month versus sailing out to the ocean with no particular plan in mind than just reaching the other end. We've got all the food we want but only fishes occasionally to past the time.

• If you love someone and live with them, then the actual marriage doesn't matter. It's just a title and a contract. Vows, rings, ceremonies, contracts, certificates, etc, don't mean anything unless both parties have good intentions towards each other. Marriage is a false sense of security for many out there. Most religious and ancient customs are outdated, so why is marriage still relevant in the 21st century? Liability for someone's well-being and financial situation regardless of faults or broken commitments is a huge risk. People cheat, they develop drug or alcohol addictions, depression or laziness could kick in etc. Usually the hard working, responsible spouse gets screwed over while the other spouse behaves like an asshole or a bitch and they get rewarded in today's modern court system. Why do I need a certificate from the state pertaining to my personal love life to make it legitimate in the first place? I vote for cohabiting with no legal marriage, I think that's the best of both worlds.

• I place a lot of importance on it and I highly value it.
    I absolutely want to get married some day. Just don't see it ever happening.

Public demonstrations of commitment will never be outdated. However, I'm sure they'll be used less and less as people, today, aren't as interested in commitment. They'd prefer the easy in, easy out approach. They want the relationship, but as soon as something goes bad, they want out immediately without strings attached.

• 1. For me marriage is all about being true to each other in the real sense
    2. Being true to each other doesn't mean monogamy in my dictionary
    3. Marriage is of the heart and mind not just inking the paper
    4. But not everyone thinks that way hence society instituted marriage as a legal bond
    5. Since it's that way then I'd sure like my child and wife to get benefits of my labor in which case marriage as we know it is VERY important to me :)

• "How much importance do you place on marriage?"
    I place a great deal of importance on it while placing a great deal of respect for those who chose not to get married.

"How much do you value the concept of marraige?"
    I value it a great deal. Let me put it to you this way. I'd drain my bank account and sell our home and live much beneath my means if it meant having my wife alive.

"Do you want to get married someday (if you aren't already)?"
    Well, I can't see that happening now. However, before I was married, I very much wanted to get married. I very much wanted children (and I still do, even though I can't have them) and two parents are better than one. Aside from that, marriage was a chance to grow and become less self centered, which being single tends to make one become.

• Marriage is all that two people who are getting married make out of it
    if one see's red flags they need to talk to the other one about it right away
    I think marriage is special bond that two couples share with each other
    in some instances it can be better just to remain a couple in relationship
    and live in separate homes also i believe a relationship that a couple take
    slow and not move to fast could result in something very special

• Most of all lack of communication is a big issue in relationships/ marriages not being able to last
      or grow further within life

• right now, I honestly don't know. I assume the right girl can make me feel it.

I don't really hold any weight on marriage though, not currently.

• Well, one day I imagine I'll be so crazily and ridiculously in love with someone that the only logical thing to do is to make her my wife.

I guess what I'm saying is this: falling in love with someone is most important to me, and marriage is more the result of that action.

• I consider it as nothing more than declaring to the rest of the world what the two of you already know. If you want to make that declaration, that's wonderful and it should be your choice, and I support everyone's right to do so if they choose.

In the modern world, common-law is almost equivalent in legal terms.

• Marriage is just a bureaucratic pact for your devotion towards the other person. It is not necessary, but people can get it if they want. Also there's a bunch of tax-related things that I don't really know about afterwards, I'd probably have to ask an expert whether it is worth getting married.

• Let's say that I could share my life with a girl without marrying. It would depend on if we'd both like it.
    The religious aspect of it is totally irrelevant to me. But of course the symbolic value of marriage is large.
    In Belgium there is an official contract, similar to marriage, that states that people are living together. It's important for legal & tax reasons, for those people who prefer not to marry.

• Well I would like to marry at some point. But at the moment it doesn't seem like it will ever happen...

• Marriage isn't a priority. My wife is a priority.

• For me it's not completely important but I do admire the idea of it if I was with the right woman for it. But whichever way it goes, I would definitely like to have kids, though.

• Well i am not religious or something but i want to settle in my life with the person who feels the same and loves me... and have a stable and loving life... :-D
    so yes marriage is important

• I don't really value it. I mean, it can have it's certain benefits but the cons far outweigh the pros in my opinion (the worst of those cons being that 50% of a husband's assets have to be given to the wife in some cases of divorce). All over a bit of paper. I'd rather just have a make-shift wedding with lots of pizza, drugs and netflix. About as much value in my eyes.

• I think that it is very important honestly, partially for religious reasons, but love is important too.

• its the only true relationship i want to have with someone else. forget being with a girlfriend for like 4 years or more and not tying down.

• For me it is important

• When I was younger I always really wanted to be married but not so much anymore. I totally would if I found the right person but I would be fine never getting married but always staying with the same person. It seems like getting married puts press on each other and you kind of change who you are. It seems like so many Married couples find their other to be a different person than when they were first married them.

• I think it is something that women pressure men into doing because they constantly talk about being in relationships and then they initiate over 70% of all divorces

• Well it gives you a tax break...

Seriously though I have no real opinion on the matter at the moment.

• I think it's outdated based on religion which I do not practice. I mean I've found a woman I plan to spend my life with but I don't see the point of spending an assload of money on a wedding

• I definitely want to get married!

• Eh not all that important but if I meet the right girl then yes:)

• 0 it means nothing to me

• I'm Muslim and I would like to get married young. Hahaha
    But I don't know.
    First of all I need to have the enough things to have a perfect marriage and take care of her.

• I think marriage is very important. It's not something to be taken lightly at all.

• yes, it is an old notion... but, successful. look at the ''successful'' relationships of today.

• As important as sex and my survival

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 21

• Marriage is good but I don't think people should marry until they are ready. I believe a person is ready for marriage when they reach a point in their life where they no longer feel that they need to get married. As for the quality of the marriage - I believe that is dependent entirely on who you marry and how much you can tolerate an imperfect person and stay loyal to them despite their flaws. I would LOVE to marry a religious men with humanitarian values and intellectual aspirations but I would also like to stay single so that I can make a difference in this world and not have children or husbands holding me down.

• Marriage is extremely important to me <3

• Look at the down votes from guys!
      I suspect you'd also get down votes from guys if you said, "Marriage is not for me. I don't need a man."

Hilarious.

• Ima up vote you just because...

• @Bluemax - what can I say? Guys on here aren't my biggest fans lol

• Marriage is very important to me. I definitely want to get married someday. However, I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea. Which I am completely okay with. I'm the type who does want to get married. But I respect that not everyone does.

• i would like to get married one day and i don't think its outdated at all...

• I would like to get married because I like the idea of committing to my partner for life and involving our flosest friends and family in that commitment. Getting married isn't just a legal commitment, it's binding your lives together and agreeing to share all your ups and downs as a team. You can't just walk away when it gets hard.

• It's extremely important to me.
    My parents have been married for over 33 years, they're really happy.
    So, yes, I do value the concept of marriage. If I met the right guy.. I would love to get married one day.

• I'm not honestly sure. Id like to get married one day, but if I could find someone to keep me company and make me happy for the rest of my days, that's really all I need. And that's more of a want than a need, anyhow. Even if I end up on my own, I still have friends, family, and my dogs. Either way, I'll be all right.

• I don't really care too much about it. I guess if it were with the right person, maybe he/she can make you reconsider it.
    The only difference is if it gets to that point, in my case it wouldn't be for religious purposes but because it's something both of you agree with and want to form a family together.

• Not very.

I've been the a girl who pictures herself walking down the aisle, doing hair/ makeup and finding the "perfect dress".

If I find a guy that I like who make me happy and vice versa, I couldn't care less if we don't get married. It's never even been a goal for me.

• I'm kinda meh about it. I don't feel like my life would be incomplete without it.
    If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I won't be upset either way.

• I don't value it at all. That's why I don't intend on getting married. A marriage is nothing without a strong committed relationship, but the same is not true the other way around. I think it's useful for some. It's just not for me.

• I hope in the future I will marry the man of my dreams...

So in my opinion marriage is the most precious thing!!! To be with your mate for the rest of your entire life... To wake up beside them and see them grow old and crusty... lol and see your children and grandchildren grown up (your offspring) and see that same person who you fell in love with 60-80-90 years ago and still feel as if you met eachother yesterday.

• None at all. I know it will literally never happen I am unsuccessful in dating so I am going to be single forever. I will focus on school & work.

• marriage is very important.

• Its instrumental to a child upbringing so yeah its pretty important

• I always dreamt of a nice wedding but now its not important anymore..

• It has always been my dream to get married some day :)

• I wanna get married and have a normal life but ik i never will. Im fine just falling in love

• Marriage is everything to me

• I was raised to believe that I was one day going to be married. So for me, marriage was one of my lifetime goals. I do value the concept of marriage and I look to my parents-who were married for 30 years-as an example. I'm currently engaged, in my late 20's and I feel like I'm ready to do this.

With all the divorce that happens nowadays, it's normal to assume marriage isn't relevant anymore. But I think we live in a "microwave society" where we're told if we don't like it, to move on. I think marriage is compromise, it's loyalty, it's loving, and respect, and communication. Marriage can be hard but it's also not giving up when things are tough.

• I want to get married but I'm not one of those women who are so desperate to get married that I'll settle for any guy just to say I got married. I'm also not going to plan to get married and plan to have kids because it does not make things happen faster. Marriage is a mutual agreement