Does the quality (price) really matter?

If a couple picks out an engagement ring, and the girl loves it, does its price really matter?

My boyfriend and I went ring shopping. I was not given a budget or range from which to choose. I had my pick from every ring in the store. I fell in love with a ring. We then told our parents that we intended to get married.

They were happy for us. They were less impressed when we told them about the ring. They said that due to its price, it was probably poor quality and that we should buy a more expensive ring because the quality and clarity of the diamonds would be better. Note: They did not see the ring or pictures of it.

But does it really matter? We looked at rings ranging from $500 - $9,000. The ring I loved is $1,800. It's a 1 carat total weight diamond 3 stone ring. I think it's beautiful and sparkly. It's comfortable on my finger and it makes me feel the feels. It's not huge, but it's not small. And my fingers are, as the saleslady said, "Long and delicate" and it looked massive on me. It's as big of a ring that I could wear without it totally dominating my hand. We looked at a similar design that was $7,600 and I didn't like it as much.

Our parents don't want us to get ripped off with a poor quality ring which I understand, but does it REALLY matter what the actual quality is if the wearer likes it? Should we go back to shopping to get a more expensive one? Or is it not a big deal?

Bonus Question: Is it odd that when we told our parents, his parents immediately cut him a check for $1,500?

Most Helpful Guy

• It all is based on his salary. Some girls want a huge fancy ring and marry a guy who can't afford that but still make him get it. The rule has been for a guy to save three months of his yearly wages for the ring. To me, that is insane. I plan on going three paychecks because I want to spend the real money on the wedding and honeymoon. The ring is simply a symbol of what the marriage is, but if the girl is only focused on how expensive it is, she has her priories mixed up. Marriage isn't completely about money, so the ring shouldn't be completely about the money. With that said, the ring shouldn't be found in a crackerjack box either since this ring is meant to be for the girl of your dreams, the one you'll be with forever. There should be some investment in it. As long as you love the ring, then you should get it. It's something he helped you pick so you could have it to remember him and your bond to each other. And it isn't weird that his parents are giving him money for the ring. That means they want him to have a better option for you, because in the diamond world, 1,500 isn't very much. I would raise an eyebrow if they did 10,000 like my sister in law's did.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think as long as you're happy with the ring and you can afford it, nobody else's opinion matters. I also don't see why a ring that costs $1800 automatically needs to be a rip-off, surely it won't be worth as much as a ring that costs ten times as much, but that's why it costs less.

I never understood spending a fortune on these things anyway (like wedding dresses, too, don't get me started on those). I do like nice and luxurious things, but they don't HAVE to be expensive. If I see something that I like and it's cheaper than others, then it makes me happy because it means I can spend the money I saved on something else.

I do think it's a bit strange that they gave your boyfriend a cheque. I never heard of parents contributing to an engagement ring, to weddings yes, but wedding rings?

I think you shouldn't let them influence how you feel about this ring. You liked it a lot. If you care about their opinion, you could always take them to the shop so they can look at it and decide for themselves if it's worth $1800, but in the end, they should have no say.

• Oh I agree. I don't have expensive tastes. You can look JUST as good and feel just as nice in cheaper things.

• I don't get it either. I'm sure there are people who like to tell people how expensive their ring was, or even people who think there's a correlation between the quality of their relationship/marriage and the price of the ring, but in my opinion, it's irrelevant. I think you should pick the ring you like and not pay attention to what others say.

• Good deal. Thank you.

What Guys Said 2

• In the long run it does

• How so?

• I meant it doesn't lolz I mistyped ahaha... Whatever you like or basically the perfect fit for your finger is what really matters; it doesn't matter how much more or less it is compare to the other ones as long as it's the right fit for you and the right one that you like

• More expensive does not always mean better quality

What Girls Said 4

• as long as both parties are happy, the price does not matter at all... its what the ring symblifies, not the cost that is important :)

• 1,800 are enough it probably is still good Quality :)

• It doesn't matter. I just depends what YOU like. If you think it looks great, then that's what matters.

• I'm not materialistic, so I don't think the price really matters. I heard about how guys should spend a certain % of their pay on a ring... but I don't need something like that to prove he loves me. He should show it by his actions, not by what he buys me.