Mother in law comes over too much?

Out of the blue, my husbands mother has been coming over to the house a lot. Basically every other day or so, and it's really starting to bother me. On multiple occasions, as soon as he gets home from work, she's right there at my door. Lately she has even started to cook meals in our kitchen, but only for the two of them. It's like she ensures there is never enough for me. When I confronted my husband about this, he told me that he didn't grow up privileged like me, and that his mom is all he has. What does that have to do with anything? How do I get her out of my house?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not joking when I say watch the show Everybody Loves Raymond. The show literally is mostly about them trying to get Rays mother out of their house. Mostly what the others have said in setting proper boundaries, that is your house and need to communicate that very effectively with your husband that you don't want her dropping in almost every day. This isn't about her, this is about your husband having respect for your boundaries because it might not be your mother-in-law next time. It could be some annoying guy from work that your husband met and became super best buds with and you don't like him in the house. You need to really get the message though (not that you aren't unreasonable) but have her come over once a week. Visits from family members can be exhausting so I feel your pain. But don't get angry until you talk to him and he still refuses to take action to your needs. You need this and if he wants to be happy, he'll need it too.

What Guys Said 2

• Your husband has to be on board with what you do, people are telling you to tell her off but that might cause problems between you and your husband. Was he always close with his mom? Did something change in the past while for her to suddenly start coming over more? It's definitely messed up if she isn't including you in meals. If it were me I'd confront my mom immediately because she has tried to meddle in relationships in the past but it can't be a you vs them thing.

• You have to have a conversation with her woman to woman. Telling her that she has to respect your boundaries. She does not have free domain of your house.

What Girls Said 2

• Tell her the truth to stop coming by so much. That you are busy and that is not right that she cooks only for her self and son. That her son is a big boy now and you can take care of him.

• Just tell her that you want some space.