What are your views on a woman asking for a man's hand in marriage?

I would like to know your opinions on the subject.

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely. It signifies her life matters to her. The old way was for the guy to get his life in order while the woman is just suppose do on autoa, I all your be ready whenever asks.

If she proposes when she's ready they both Have to respect the the fact her life matters. If he's not interest he can say no but there no reason she should be waiting around like its after school and her dad coming to pick her up.

I also don't think her asking takes away from him knowing he wants to marry her. If anything a guy who can say yes to a woman proposing is more apt to actually care about her not just the idea of marriage and the grand gesture.

Anyhow of course whoever wants to ask should go ahead and do it. I find it silly this is still a debate. Over 50% of bread winners in families are women now.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would have no issue with it. I am not going to think less of a woman for asking.

What Girls Said 23

• It's definitely not the old fashioned or traditional way of doing things , but I think it's sweet..

The woman has taken a more modern and bold approach. She's going after what she wants and is willing to break any traditional roles in order to accomplish such.

• I wish it were more socially acceptable. The idea that only a man is rational enough to make those decisions is ridiculous. Traditional notions of courtship are no longer terribly useful.

• I think it's great. But, as with any proposal, it shouldn't be done if marriage isn't something that you've already seriously discussed as a couple. I don't think that a marriage proposal should ever come completely out of left field. It should be a surprise when/how it happens, but not that it DOES happen. Make sense?

• Yes! "Popping the question" is rude and impractical.

• I think it's a great idea! Why should the woman wait, why can't she ask? Now I have wondered this in the past too, and I have asked some guys. They say the reason they would prefer to ask is because the woman usually gets to decide on everything else, and this is their one thing they get to do. So I can certainly see that point of view.

• lol no, i've got a bunch of people on me about another question on a similar topic. not doing this again haha.

• I've asked my boyfriend and he said he wouldn't say yes if I were the one to ask him instead of him asking me :/

• If he was going to ask but you ask first he'd say no... You want to marry a dram queen?

• but that aside, itd be absurd if you proposed and he wanted to marry you, for him to reject on a self imposed formality... priorities you know ;)

• Yessss!!! Exactly! 👏👏 @azara

• I wouldn't personally do it. Men are much less eager and it takes them longer to make that commitment so I wouldn't want to ask him and have him say yes just to be nice.

• I don't see anything wrong with it... as long as she knows the guy would be ok with it...

• I think it's fair.
    If a guy is never going to step up - why not a woman?
    If he says 'no' the girl knows to move on.

• Nothing wring with that. Some people find it weird but who cares. Some people will always complain whatever you do.
    I personally wouldn't do it, not because I care about gender roles that much, but because getting married is not important to me. Sure I will say yes if my man asked me and wanted to get married. I'm just neutral.

• I don't think its a proper way to assess a man's level of interest in you. If you want a good marriage you need to find a man who is sufficiently interested in you.

• It's not a way to assess interest it's a way to get married or have him decline the offer.

• You guys don't want the truth. You want to be told politically correct lies.

• That is cool as fuck. Girls should be able to that too.

• I think I would rather the man ask me. I need to know he is in it for the long haul. I personally think the man should love the woman just a little bit more for the marriage to be happy and successful. However I am not against the woman asking. If that's what she would like to do its up to her :)

• So basically women should settle for a guy they are not crazy about lol

• Of course!
    Best marriages are those when the gal chooses anyway

• It's perfectly fine. I don't see anything wrong with it. If a woman can ask out a man, why can't she ask for his hand?

• If a woman wants to propose then go her. She should do what she wants. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's great

• Why shouldn't a woman propose? I personally am not into marriage proposals, I am more into talking and figuring out that it might be time to get married. But if someone HAS to propose, it's the same to me.

• ! I asked my husband to marry me. I meant it but I also knew he wouldn't take me seriously until he asked me.

• Unusual... I like it.

• I think there should be the discussion of the future. As modern as I am, I would want my man to put the ring on my finger not the other way 'round basically.

• Its cool if other people do it but not something I'm interested in doing in the least.

• I think it should be acceptable

• nope nope nope nope nope...

What Guys Said 28

• My good friends just got married; they had pictures at the wedding of her proposing to him. It worked quite well for them :)

• Um, OK. I think. It seems kind of backwards. Oh hell, I'd probably cry. But it still seems backwards. I'm supposed to be the one making her cry. Don't rob me of that!

• I see it as equal to a man proposing. If you really want something in life you should go for it whether you're a man or a woman before it's too late.

• certainly different but I'm fine with it.

• I don't see why not. If that is what she sees is the next rational step in the relationship, then go for it!

• Interesting but I feel like that ruins the 999 ways in which my proposal shall both troll and amaze the future wife.

That being said, I think (and many women are) should just be more forward about talking to guys they think are decent looking or their idea of sexy.

• That's very impressive, appealing and modern as well.

• Honestly, at this point it my life, I would love that

• its the 21st century for crying out loud! not the 1800s I would prefer a lady asks me because it means im worth something she wants me she wants a future with me and by asking me she is being real not playing games lying to me!

• I think it is great! Though I admit, I would be upset I did not get to do it myself...

• No problem here...

• Well it's very weird and I would prefer to do the proposing but why not.

• I much prefer the traditional way to be honest.

• It's cool bro

• I would say she is the coolest women ever...

• I would be very delighted if the woman I was going out with asked for my hand in marriage! That would be my best moment!

• No problems with it in general. I'd let her know I wasn't interested in a legal marriage from the start before that would happen.

• Lol sounds interesting to me:P

• I think its kinda cool.

• I love everything about it.

• I don't see why there would be anything wrong with that?

• I would totally be ok with it

• Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes if you want something you have to ask for it.

• Seems cool to me.

• I think she might try, but if he's an old-fashioned man, he might want to say he proposed.

• who ever makes that move does not matter

• i think it's kinda sweet.. it doesn't matter who proposes at the end your getting married.

• Sounds like a good idea, she knows what she wants and is going and getting it! Good.