Do You Want to Be Married? If You're Not, What Would it Take to Get a Ring on that Finger?

I'm starting to get the impression that marriage is fading out of style with both sexes, especially with the younger generation. Is this true? For the guys, what would it take for you to pop the question? For the ladies, how would you get a man to put a ring on it? And for the people already linked up, what did it take for him (or her, if you're progressive like that) to pop the question?

• I Want to be Married Someday
  • I Never Want to be Married
  • I'm Already Married
I hate to spoil the results for those that haven't completed it yet; but does anyone else find it alarming that a majority of men do not want to get married while a majority of women do? Why is this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say I'll show him that i'm his bestfriend and somone he can tell all his secrets And dreams with i will also show him how i can be a lady towards his family members and friends... show him love and respect

Most Helpful Guy

• It would take me for starters, woman who did not view casual sex as a good thing (greater number of partners the greater the probability of divorce and infidelity, statisticly speaking) then we would have to change all the laws on marriage since a woman can at any time file for divorce with out justification (no fault divorce is the most common, 80% of which are filed by women, 20% of divorces are filed due to infidelity, 12% of which are due to the wifes infidelity) they would then have to change the laws on alimony and childsupport (80%, higher in some states, are payed by the husband), they would have to change there policy of giving women full/nearly full custody over children. They would have to respect the prenuptial agreement (It gets overuled to often) and treat marriage as a legally/socially binding contract where the person who causes the damage is held accountable for the dissolutionment of the marriage, currently infidelity (at least when its the woman) is not part of the ruling when determining alimony/childsupport/custody. So until that happens I am going to very much not want to be married, not that I would not want to in its original sense, but now, in our society it is to politicised and too risky for a man to partake in.

What Girls Said 8

• i can't wait to get married <3
    what would it take? lol... well, in the smallest of nutshells, just time, love and loyalty.

• I would have liked to have gone through life married. I don't think I can mean those vows a second time. I married a wonderful man, old enough to know myself, and after dating him for years, and still we crashed and burned, and I lost faith in marriage. My boyfriend, on the other hand, imagines himself remarrying. His wife left him for another man and he lost faith in HER but still believes in the institution. I still love the idea of growing old with my best friend, though.

• If I do get married I want it to be to the man I can trust and love above all others. I want him to be the one I can see growing old with and sitting on our front porch on our swing drinking ice tea when we are 70 while we watch our grandchildren play in the yard.

• Yes ofcourse. I wouldn't do anything to get him to pop the Q. I mean all I'm gonna do is ofcourse be faithful, patient, listen well, supportive, respectful (to him and his family cuz family is important to me), like the obvious stuff that I'm supposed to be I guess.

But yeah definitely wanna get married.

• I'd like to get married one day but only if I meet a guy I could actually see myself spending the rest of my life with.

• But what would you do to make it very likely that he would pop the question?

• Oh I haven't planned that far ahead lol. He can do it whenever he feels comfortable. There's no need to rush things.

• Yea I plan on getting married, I accidentally chose B

• I wish marriage was taken a little more serious these days, some just think it doesn't have to be forever and fall back on divorce, others don't want to get married because of the possible idea of divorce. I believe marriage is forever and divorce should not be granted. If its a abusive marriage then okay but divorce shouldn't be the answer for marriage problems.

• It took him loving me for me, not the dolled up trophy girlfriend but me without make up and seeing me at my worst and still being there for me. He's kind, sincere, honest and we both share similar morals in life.

A lot of guys dated me just because I was considered "pretty" in the social sense, and have a nice body. So to me I wanted a guy who looked past that and loved me for my brain, and inner self.

I'm very blessed to have met the man I married. 😍

What Guys Said 9

• For a guy, marriage is betting half your net worth that your relationship with last forever and ever and ever and ever...

There is nothing marriage can offer me that I can not get on my own so there is no justification for the high level of risk involved in such a contract.

• Voted A. I most certainly want to be married at some point. But I have been single for over 5 years now, so I don't know if and when I'll ever get married.

• I'll never get married.

I don't trust women enough to sign a contract like that, and I don't like how much control the gov't has over relationships. If a woman needs me to be her property to feel comfortable in a relationship with me, then that speaks volumes about her.

Nothing will ever get me to marry a woman. I'm not religious, and I'm not a simp, so literally nothing would motivate me to tie the knot (attached to the anchor).

It's not that alarming that men don't want to get married. Look at the nature of the contract and how much women actually invest vs men invest in all forms of relationships. It's not hard to see why men aren't willing to sign their lives away.

• It is one of the only 3 reasons I court to begin with, in other words it is something I want to do very much.

• Im only 19 so i might change my mind in the future but marriage seems so boring. Life is too short to spend all that time with one person. I like the idea of hopping from one girl to another. But like i said, maybe there is a girl as crazy as me who makes me change my mind.

• Where is the "Vote C: Been there and done that" option?

• That was supposed to be a Vote D option. But anyway, I would get married again if I was sure she was the right person, but I would have to be damned sure.

• Yassss! @joahz10nt when is the HAWT date of our Wedding Dress baby 💍

• I had 27 girlfriends before I met my wife, 25 of them wanted to marry me but I didn't think they brought enough to the table to make marriage appealing versus giving up the advantages of being free. My wife is an ex professional ballerina with a physics degree who makes 150K as a software engineer, has the sweetest disposition and is just one of the best people I ever met and never gives me grief about a thing in this world, not even when I deserve it. She is friend, lover and partner.

So I'm glad I held out, I got lucky.

• I was married, and being married was something that I had always wanted. Now I no longer want to be married. All it does is make the other person think they have you trapped so they don't have to put work into the relationship. At best there is no real partnership since we just take care of ourselves. At worst we lose our independence and do everything the other persons way.

In order for me to consider marriage I would need two things. A woman that likes how gender roles create a balance to the relationship. Then I would need the laws to be changed so they don't screw over whichever one was the provider.

I don't mind reversing those roles. In fact I would prefer the role of homemaker. The problem is you can't have two people in equal charge over the same roles. In the end you always end up with both people fighting over power, while pushing responsibly on the other person. The different roles is an easier and more fair way to balance power and responsibility in the relationship.

Even though I would prefer the role of homemaker, I really doubt I would find a woman willing to be the provider. So I would need to know the courts weren't going to be unfair to me if I ended up as the provider.