Why do people get married?

Yes the question is very easy. Why people get married? If a couple love each other, is it really necessary sign to a paper? what is the meaning of marriage?

Thanks a lot to your answers. I think I will not marry if my love propose to me:) really thanks to all of you

Most Helpful Girl

• marriage is about showing commitment to a person. In a marriage, you are demonstrating that you are not serving somebody else's interest and not your own. When you don't marry but cohabit together you are showing the whole world that your relationship is about you and what you can get out of the other person. When you get married you are telling the whole world - your relationship is about what you can offer the other person and not what they offer you. You have to serve the other person out of respect for them - not out of a desire to satisfy your needs through the other person.

• Totally doesn't make any sense. Your relationship is none of others' business.

What Girls Said 9

• There are some problems with NOT being married. If something happens to you or your significant other, the family has a lot of legal say in seizing assets from you. Even if you name a beneficiary or have a will, the family can contest. Another drawback is personal comfort for each other in cases like times of need. This is also the case if an accident happens and hospitals only allow "family" to see someone - and a boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't cut it, even if you say you're common law. If your other half is in legal trouble, you could be in a position to testify against them in court.

Marriage is a legal contract that does the couple a lot more good than you think. The cases I mentioned above make your spouse completely connected to you uncontestably. It also makes things much easier when it comes to loans, taxes, and anything other financially because you're connected together financially to be seen as a viable candidates if you ever need help, or things such as taxes can be cut as a married couple. As a single, even with a common law, this is always harder to obtain, and if people argue it's legally the same as common law - no it isn't, there are factors that are only allowable for common law to a point.

Above all else are the social virtues that people place on married couples as opposed to a boyfriend/girlfriend pairing. Your MH from @523206720 says it all when it comes to how society, your job, your friends, your family, and everyone else sees what sort of commitment you have made to someone. It's about as serious as applying to take a university course for a few years. It tells the world that you are making a commitment and that says something about your character whether you think so or not. Just the fact that people take the plunge means they are entering a legal contract to show commitment to something for the rest of their lives. This is why divorce always had the stigma of being seen as a failure to some. We could argue that marriage isn't such a virtue and divorce isn't such a failure - but that would be subjective, and especially when it comes to things like proving commitments to certain jobs you want that require an example of this, or just making things easy when you book a hotel. The ring on your finger and piece of paper you own is a lot more valuable than people want to admit. If you want to know the pros and cons, best to ask a lawyer what you're in for, but I know from experience being married has made things so much easier.

• You are a great person. Thanks a lot and I have a question to you. :)
      are you married?

• Great, I wish you happiness

• Thank you, I wish you happiness too, whatever you decide to do :)

• I don't know the actual benefits of getting married, but there are benefits of being married. I think it affects your taxes and bills and life insurance and all that stuff. That's why it's such a big deal for gay people to be able to get married, life insurance will go to the partner if one dies, stuff like that. I'm too lazy to google all the good that comes from it by it's not just a piece of paper

• My husband and I only got married because the state I live in does not have common law marriage. I own my business, home and land. If I were to die then my husband would be just a "boyfriend "and even if I left everything to him in a will it can be contested. I can't risk him not getting what he deserves. Otherwise I would have been happy to stay unmarried. For the last 20+years. And my taxes went down. But we never had a wedding or rings or a reception, dress or honeymoon none of the crap that just waste money. We went to the court house paid 25buck and that's all.

• I want to get married because I love the concept of it.
    Marriage to me is commitment.
    Once I have it, I can fall in love.

Lol, something like that.

• It's seen as a validation of love. In this society, most believe that it is the ultimate goal of every long-term couple. Furthermore, it offers benefits to the couple, such as hospital visitation rights. It binds them by law, so they can make decisions as a unit. Those benefits are also useful when having kids, so the father does not need to go through dozens of procedures to prove that he's the baby's father.

• For religious reasons or to prove their commitment.

The funny thing is most people who don't want to get married say: "the woman stops trying a few months into the marriage anyway! So I'm happier being unmarried and committed to her for the rest of my life."
    Then some people say: A legal contract doesn't make things official. You don't have to be married.

But then again, it does doesn't it?

• Reassurance, and financial security i think

• It is the ultimate test of commitment and trust.

• For some people, it's about showing commitment to each other. Some also do it for religious reasons. I believe there are also tax benefits and such, but I don't know since I'm single.

What Guys Said 16

• Because #IMHO they're fucking stupid (talking about men). Since #marriage was designed for women to have financial security way back when. But ya see that's just the thing though, in today's day in age women can make just as much money as men, right? So with that being said "WHY DO THEY NEED US FOR?".

Heck, if you've noticed women will leave "men" at any moment they deem necessary (divorce). Since they know that they have nothing to lose 95% of the time unlike us where our whole life could be ruined (men commit suicide more after being divorced if I'm right also)

I made a question about it/my thought on the whole matter www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1450834-why-should-would-a-man-want-to-get-married i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• That is the main reason why they have no reasons whatsoever throwing us away the moment that we become useless in their mind, to go find another man to take our spot #WithNoFuckGiven LOLOLOLOLOL

• tax breaks
    because you love the person

I do agree that you don't have to be married to express your feelings

• Cultural ideology regarding how it is some kind of validation. It is supposedly symbolism for your relationship, a pact, an agreement.

Then some people go and claim that if a guy doesn't marry them then they don't really love them, but they definitely aren't the ones paying for the rings and the paperwork! Pfft. It is a very expensive symbolism.

• I'm still wondering that after 16 years and now because of that paper it makes it harder to just leave it which I'm doing in a few months because of all the things she has done

• marriage means you're 100% committed to each other ad through thick and thin. this is what i define as ''exclusive''.

• I dont think that 100% because some married couples can divorse right?

• Unfortunately no:/

• he was talking to his daughter on a similar matter, this is what he said: But if a relationship doesn't work out, it's usually not because of the challenges. It's usually because the relationship wasn't strong enough to begin with.

• It both cultural and religious significance for many people.

• When taking into account the divorce laws that rip off men, there is no real reason to get married. It's unfair and should be abolished. Two consenting partners can co-habit any as long as they want and have children.

• It's a ritual, we have been following to feed the insecurity of people that their loved ones will not leave them for anyone else.

• Legal rights and protection

• Marriage is a legal framework for the protection of the family, particularly its children. It is effectively a breeding licence.

• why does the wind blow

• because their dumb.

• Because they're dumb :)

• I truly believe, that marriage should only be for religious reasons or tax benegits. Men get raped in divorce court way too much.

• Well, way back is was a legal document that made sense.
    Now it's just a post-it saying "Take half my shit and leave, any time you see fit".

Nobody sane with morals would sign a marriage certificate.

• I think reassurance mainly.