Is it true that in a marriage or relationship, the guy can either be right or happy?

• Yes
  • Yes most of the time
  • Yes about half the time
  • Yes some of the time
  • No
  • Depends on the argument

Most Helpful Girl

• That's good advice and it's not just for men. The idea is that if you are wedded to the idea that you're always right, you'll have a hard time maintaining a relationship. If, on the other hand, you're willing to give in even when you don't understand why your partner feels as she does, that will make it easier to have a happy relationship. One of my wedding vows was "I will value what is important to you simply because it is important to you" and that served me well.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are in any type of relationship where you are either "right or happy" you are a doormat. Plain and simple. You let people walk all over you when you don't deserve to be and your once equal relationship turns into a living Hell! Take it from someone who used to avoid any form of confrontation in relationships!

I'm not saying you need to be right ALL the time, or that when you think you are and you aren't you shouldn't apologize, or act like an asshole. But avoiding pointing out your wife/gf is wrong just to avoid a fight, that isn't a healthy relationship. Tell the truth. It may lead to a fight, it might not. If it does ALL or most of the time chances are there are underlying issues in the relationship that need to be addressed.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 3

• I used to think this, until I was married to someone who just wanted to pick fights and find fault with *everything* I did. At that point, I realized I could be neither right nor happy...

• Interesting differences in the way both genders voted. ;)
    Presumably, we'll either be wrong or miserable.

• Not true for me.