Is it right for me to get engaged at 18?

I'll be turning 18 this year and my parents are gonna get me engaged to a guy who's 27. Im not into this, I've gone through many terrible things and I'm scared. I'm gonna suicide if this happens. That guy is a sex freak and he irritates me, I always feel disgusted when he talks or calls me. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• No body should ever force you into a marriage at all, period. You are 18 and old enough to make your own decisions. I know you are scared and i wish and pray you never have to go through something like this. I think you need to talk to your parents again and be honest and true with them, if they cannot hear their own daughters plea, then you need to go to some social worker or to the authorities and notify them somehow.

And please don't do anything to take your life. Just know you are worth it. He does not deserve a lady like you. Don't commit yourself to him and if you are forced into doing anything with him, please contact the authorities.

Most Helpful Girl

• Contact the authorities. Right away. It's just one call, or one single talk with a person that can save your entire life.
    Do it before it is too late. Because once you are carried away in this vicious thing it is going to be so diffcult to get out of it. You can do it and everything will be alright, it soon won't matter anymore if you deal with it correctly and talk to the right people. If your parents might be violent when they find out you are not going to do what they have planned for you, make sure you are in a safe place by the time they discover it.
    And please, don't take your life, you are so young, there are so many great things waiting for you. We all go through horrible things in life, I promise you, no matter how long it lasts, pain is always momentary.
    Good luck, and I'll pray for you.

What Guys Said 7

• Is there any chance you're from an Asian country?
    I know these arranged marriages are common; and to be quite honest I think it's so wrong. Love is something which occurs naturally. You can't force two people to love each other if there's no connection. I can imagine him without a picture, he sounds grim.

We have a right to choose who we want to marry, you should have that right too.

• Yuk. I don't understand these cultures. Run by the men so they can control the women.

You need to break free.

• Love has no absolute right or wrong.
    Besides that, are you from a area (country) where arranged marriages are a thing?

• Don't do it then.

• Run away no one can force you to get married

• So its a forced marriage tell your parents you don't like the guy and if they insist run away

• Is it right? Yeah. However, there are a lot of people at 18-24 who get married too fast. They have kids too fast. Then they get 30 and they haven't discovered themselves. They are limited. It's not to say that you can't live happy. You can. Some do. Though I see a trend of people who are 30 40 and they did the same thing. Married someone around 18 and lived with that person for years and years. Then they divorce and adventure.

• Damn I didn't read all the "fine print". Don't marry that guy.

What Girls Said 5

• You are legally an adult. You cannot be forced to do anything. It is illegal to be forced into marriage in most countries. If your parents will not listen to you, you may have to go to the authorities.

• Don't do anything you don't want to.

• do your parents know about all of the terrible things or how creepy the guy is?

• Is this going to be an arranged marriage?

• To me if you don't want to do then you shouldn't have to. ( Free Country... Well... Kind of)
    Plus you are 18 and a legal adult ( You can make your own decisions)
    I also believe ( my opinion... Well this is all my opinion) age difference should be no more than 5 years apart ( yours is I believe 10 years)
    but I am guessing you have a religion that has arranged marriages? and that why your parents arranged you to marry a 27 year old?