Marriage, an act of true love or an act out of fear to grow old alone?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marriage is a partnership between two people in love. It is a very unique thing that we do that is so much different than just going steady. The bond I felt when married was powerful and at the same time peaceful. You really, really get to know one member of the opposite sex very well. And in ways that will most likely surprise you! :)

• but the reason you got married in the first place is it because you think she's the one or just because you think it's time?

• We married because we both felt we found our soul mate.
      Getting married because you think it is time is a recipe for a major train wreck.

Most Helpful Girl

• In some societies or families, it's just what you do. It's neither an act of true love or an act out of fear to grow old alone.
    In other societies or families, where there's no pressure to marry for either, it should be for love and not for security reasons. The marriages that end in divorces are mostly the ones done out of love and not for security reasons. People who marry out of fear usually don't want a divorce even if the marriage turn out to suck ass.

What Guys Said 5

• Does marriage really signify true love anymore?

It's a legal committment... that can be broken at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. There's no special punishment for adultery either. So, what is legal marriage anymore in the USA but a financial assurance for the lower earner, mostly women?

• I really don't understand why women have to be financially assured by being married. I don't understand people who judge from wealth. I personally don't have the wealth thing on what's important actually.

• Well, let's rephrase.

What benefit and point is there to legal marriage in the USA anymore, besides providing financial assurance to the lower earner?

It's a contract that can be broken anytime, any reason. Adultery has little impact on division of assets or custody of children. Alimony also still is quite common.

• For me I will get married as an act of true love but also to start a family and settle down.

• In my country, it is an act to please society and/or save face.

• Neither, an act of duty, of compromise, of obligation.

• Option B. The only explanation for why a man would risk marriage.

What Girls Said 2