If women want equality don't they realize taking the man's name is sort of symbolic of him "owning you" and being superior to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think using the guy's last name is more of a traditional thing at this point, although it's true that its origins are obviously sexist.

Women aren't oppressed anymore (in the US), and definitely aren't considered a man's property once she's married, so it seems silly to me to dwell on the controversy of how taking-the-guy's-last-name originated since things are so drastically different now.

Also some people will use both last names and hyphenate them together though, or they'll just pick whichever last name sounds the best. People have a choice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it is odd, I would rather either they kept their name, or we merged it.

What Girls Said 4

• It's more about unifying the family than being the husband's property. Can you imagine how complicated life would be if EVERYONE started hyphenating? Lol.

A friend of mine kept her maiden name and had their children hyphenate their names. That's fine if that's what she wants, but personally I'd much rather have one family name, haha. Equality is all about women having the choice.

I hate my last name, anyway. It reminds me of my father who was abusive.

• Does a man being the head of the household really make him superior to me? I thought women taking their husbands last names would be more unifying for the family as a whole.

• I believe in taking the last name for my kids. It's that simple has nothing to do with him owning me.

• Why anon?

• San Diego is gorgeous!

• What do you usually do there?

• thats why no one in my family takes the mans name.

What Guys Said 0