Do you want to marry one day?

So many people say they never want to marry these days. Do you or don't you? Give details why

• yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I have alway wanted to be married. My first marriage failed, but that did not change my attitude toward the institution. Nine years ago in June, I married for the second (and last) time. My wife is also here on GaG, her username is @GraySailorsBride .

I have contributed a few posts explaining the utility of being legally married. Here is a cut and paste excerpt from one such post:

Above and beyond all the emotional, financial, pshcological, sexual and companionship reasons to marry, being legally married means that:

- should my wife become sick, I can give medical directions on her behalf. She can do the same for me.
    - if she were to die, I would inherit our family home without paying an inheritance tax (she own the home prior to marrying me)
    - I have the right to receive her body and observe her burial requests
    - she is elegible to be on my employer's health insurance plan.
    - we pay federal income taxes at a lower effective rate
    - marriage gave me the authority to represent myself as the step-father of my wife's daughters She receive the same authority to represent herself as my child's step mom.
    - she is elegible to be the beneficiary of my life insurance
    - we may be jointly considered for credit application
    - we automatically inherit each others worldly possessions without the necessity of probate court

When I way in the military, there were many benefits that accrued ONLY to married people:

- basic allowance for housing (single men lived on board the ship)
    - family separation allowance (paid while deployed)
    - CHAMPUS (dependant health insurance)
    - access to the ombudsman program (best source of info on ships schedule)
    - access to base facilities including the exchange and the subsidized commissary
    - access to base housing
    - the right to be relocated to overseas duty stations with military member

It goes on and on this way. Marriage is woven into everything. The main intent is not so much that you change your status toward each other but rather you change your status before the state.

What Guys Said 38

• I chose B since #IMHO I'm not mentally stable enough for marriage. I mean if a girl tried to leave me after #vowing that "death would do us part" I'm going to make sure that a "death" does exactly that to us... not " allow her to leave me when see saw fit down the road just because things got tuff #NuhUh it don't work that way with me ^_^.

i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• So hey if __ wanted to get married COOL but imma tell her "if you try to leave me or take me for 50% of my shit imma WHACK yo ass with no hesitation. And I can give 2 fucks about a prison sentence cuz they'd never take me alive to begin with" LOL

• I literally only know one ADULT who doesn't want to get married.

Anyway, I voted "A" because I do want to get married eventually, but not for a long time.

At the absolute youngest, I would get married at 30 years old but that's still pushing it. I plan on getting married in my mid 30's or later. I want to try to get financially stable before I'm married and allow my sexual drive to decrease (if that will ever happen.)

At the moment, I couldn't imagine being married. The only benefit I could see is having sex on a daily basis.

• I would very much like to get married one day.

• I don't.

Marriage doesn't give you anything that you can't get in a relationship. All it does is make you blow money on a ceremony and make you agree the the higher earner will pay the lower earner if you split. Marriages doesn't garantee, love, loyalty or consistent sex. It gives you nothing.

Also I'd want a girl who hasn't slept around or had one night stands and those girls are pretty rare nkwadays. Actually relationships don't really interest me that much either. I dont really feel motivated to take a girl on dates for 2 month before she has sex with me when most girls are more than happy to hop into bed on the first date with guys who they grind with at clubs/parties or met on tinder.

Also considering that girls often develop feelings for their friends with benifits, there's really nothing girls give to the guys who take them on dates that they don't give to their fuck buddies.

• For me it's for many reasons but the most important out of them are :
    Firstly sharing things with people that I love is something I grow to love so much that even if I did a small thing and I shared it , it makes me feel great (and to be honest I have nothing more precious than my life to share)
    Secondly the idea of me dying alone is very scary I mean I don't know but I can't stop myself from thinking that dying in the arms of my wife (the one I love the most ) is kind of a relief and a good way to die (if this even makes any sense)

• The question isn't should someone get married or get a family. The real question is what's the difference between living together and marriage?

Is it the guy in the bath robe declaration you man and wife (or man and man? wife and wife?)? Or perhaps the piece of paper, stamp and all that legal stuff like name change and taxes the government issues?

Personally, I think a couple living together is in every way a marriage. What's left is the technicality of the government - which is sort of important for legal and tax reasons. It's not important enough to be all excited about though. People can skip the bath robe guy since a lot of people aren't very bath-robe friendly.

• Not really, I think you can get anything you want out of a relationship without signing a pact about it. Well, other than the wedding itself, but that's arrangeable without spending $2000 on rings and signing pacts.

https://youtu.be/4huaX0UAFGM?t=1m20s
    [1:20 - 1:28]
    [I'm kidding though on that one]

• I do. Pun intended.

Why? It's something I've always wanted, to share my life with someone and start a family with her. My parents have had a wonderful marriage with each other and I'd like to have what they've had.

• I never want to get married. Yes, I have my logical reasons for this one.

• Marriage is baked into society. We have to conform. We're taught from an early age we should want to do that. Of course I want to.

• I'm not sure. If you asked me that a year ago I would've said yes, but I went through some crap involving a divorce that made me question the validity of marriage. Sure, I wouldn't mind spending my life with someone. Who doesn't really? But I've become a bit jaded to the idea of marriage, I'm starting to think it's an outdated concept from a bygone era.

• I do but not in the USA and probably with a girl from another country

• Its really hard to say because there is always the fear it might not work out and soon the one u loved u hate. I would marry a girl if I really knew her and loved as much she loved me and we both know what kind of life we want together and also good financially.

• yeah maybe... but it's not that important to me as long as I have the right partner.
    and if I do it probably only civil marriage, not in the church

• I just don't see a reason to get married. So, no marriage for me.

• Maybe someday but not in the near future by any means.

• I really don't know i like the idea

• yeah, why not. it just shows the other person that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. i also have been to a few weddings and i always find them so fun

• As a Guy I do want to get married someday. I want to find someone that I can hold on to, and have kids with. I want to have someone to grow old with me, and I want someone to continue with me into the Heavens for better, or even for the worse. :).

• Remember the fact that I am Christian so my Partner has to agree with that along with marrying in a Church too so yeah there is my two cents to your question. <3.

• Yes I do, my legacy must live on.

• I am saving sex for marriage so HELL YEAH I wanna marry 😂

• I like the tax benefits and it would make buying a house easier with my crappy credit. So I guess I would just marry a woman at the end of the fiscal year and divorce her once the house was paid for.

• it's not for me

• I wouldn't say no, but I'm not sure I'd say yes.

• I would rather not. I'm giving more than I am getting.

• Marriage says who the man an the woman is. so yea, want to make that clear...

• Someday. Not serious atm.

• Absolutely. I'm the marrying type, but I have yet to find anybody worth putting my ring on. :-(

• Maybe or maybe not. There is no particular reason for either.

• I hope I don't actually its one of my goals not to

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 29

• Yes, I definitely want to get married one day. Why?
    Because I know for sure that I don't want to live my life alone. I don't see the point of setting goals for myself if I'd have no one to celebrate with once I reach them. At least no constant. I know that I've been a people person from the start, I thrive and am happiest when surrounded by people I love and who love me back. I actually got into a conversation about this with my boyfriend. He said he doesn't see why bother marrying when you can still be together for life, just no legal attachment.

I disagree. If you're planning on taking the commitment seriously, plus avoiding a lot of the hassles that would come along financially, in regards to potential future children, why not? Make it as official as possible that you're his, and he's yours. That you're really in it together.

• Yeah, I wanna marry one day, but only under the condition that I'll be 100% sure that I'm marrying my soulmate, the one, the love of my life, whatever you wanna call it... I want that because I see it as sort of sealing the deal completely and I also want the whole family to have the same surname, plus, weddings are cute ❤

• Yes, I'd like to get married one day. Logically, I know that marriage is just a piece of paper and some more rights that I'll get just by being with him for a long time anyway, and it's really just a waste of money to have a wedding, but I still love the idea of it.

• Marriage is a goal.

One of these days that one boyfriend I keep going on about and I will get married. :)

• I dont' even know anymore... sometimes yes... sometimes no
    so many men cheat in marriage that I'm beginning to think it's worthless and meaningless to marry someone you love... i'm not saying girls don't cheat, but from the people i know it's 99.99999 % of men who have done it to their wives and they think it's not a 'bad' thing. it's awful.

I suppose if I want kids, i would rather be married than not... but i really don't know.
    so when i plan to have kids i'll probably think of marriage before having them...

• yeah i'd like to get married one day. I don't know i just would like to get married! i think it'd be really nice and lovely and intimate. it's a new level for any relationship and i'd love to experience it. i think it's a way to get even closer to your lover.

• Yes, I do want to marry someday and have children. It is more for security and knowing that if anything were to happen to either of us, we would be able to be there for each other in the hospital and make decisions if need be without hassle. Makes things much smoother.

• I'm undecided. Maybe not.

I won't say never, though. Maybe if I can sort through all of my things, it's a possibility.

• My boyfriend will talk about marrying me all the time, and I want to marry him so, yes I do lol

• No because i love myself to much...

• 6 days until I know if I'm getting married on the spot, or if we will do an open engagement (telling family, friends etc) and waiting for a predetermined date to tie the knot! :)

• Yes, I do hope to. I just want to be secure and know that I'm the only one for them.

• because it's commitment, that you'll be together even when you get old, or life's tough. it's saying you'll be by their side no matter what, and that's a comfort.

• Wowowow haha Look at all dem guys afraid of marriage xD
    Yes I would love to.

• Yeah definitely. If I were dating a guy and after two years, he hadn't popped the question, I'd consider whether or not it was worth my time anymore

• I don't know, I've never been huge on marriage. I'm not gonna cross it off the list completely though

• Yeah, one day☺️ I'm just not one of those girls who have their whole wedding planned already along with their perfect expectations..

• Nah.

I don't want to.

Maybe I will change my mind again.

• Yeah it sounds nice.

• if I find the right person yes, because I would like to share my life with him, I wouldn't like to spend the rest of my life alone or having casual relationships.

• Yes I do, but at this time I'm not quite sure if I want children.

• I do but realistically I can't see it happening

• Yes, one day I would like to be married.

• One day at a time, one day at a time lol I'm just trying to figure out my schooling right now!

• I suppose. I don't much care either way, I won't be too upset if I don't end up getting married.

• of course I would like to get married. How else would I get the 6 kids im planning to have? :D

• Of course! I want to be a wife

• I think marriage sounds nice but I don't want to marry just to marry. I'm not one of those people that is desperate that I'm willing to have a shitty relationship just to say that I'm a wife. If I never get married it's not the end of the world

• I found someone that I want to live.