When's the right time to get?

Engaged to your SO? I've been with my boyfriend for nearly a year, and if he proposed I'll see it as commitment.

• A few weeks/months
  • A year
  • 2/3
  • 4/5
  • 6/7
  • Longer

Most Helpful Guy

• 3 years if your a strong couple

Most Helpful Girl

• for me it'd be at least 1 year. and i'd like to live with the person beforehand and truly get to know them, and how they act under certain pressures and deal with certain situations. i feel like people rush into relationships too often and don't actually know the person they're marrying. then they get divorced because they decide they aren't as good together as they thought. there really shouldn't be a rush..
    not all people who get together quickly don't work out, obviously. but i feel like that happens with lots of people that i know.
    for me i'd like to wait at least 2-3 years.

What Guys Said 2

• When ever you two feel you are ready for the commitment. There is really no amount of time that will make you ready.

• I always thought two years is the best time.

What Girls Said 6

• A while. At least a year. Have to know how they handle 365 days.

I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and we've only just like REALLY really started talking about marriage. We both kind of figured it'd happen when we started dating and we talked about it lightly but this past year we've really sat down and really discussed it. Not just the fluff stuff either. We talk about the serious stuff. It's not romantic and it's not light and airy. It's difficult and serious. It's challenging. We talk about the hard subjects and we get down deep in there.

Jumping into marriage is basically a death sentence for the marriage. Gotta take your time and really know the person you're marrying.

People are like books. You have to read the book cover to cover first and then decide to keep it forever. And then you read it again and again and learn tiny details every new read. You don't read a chapter or two and then decide to keep it forever. What happens if it goes to Hell in a hand basket in chapter 7? What then? You're already stuck with the book.

If you've read it all then you know how it is and sort of what to expect and the little quirks you find when you read it again only make it better.

• I don't think it matters too much. I've been with my partner for 4.5 years now and I'm not ready for the next step lol.

That being said, I wouldn't say no if he asked 😋

• 1 year is a short time for getting married give it another year or 2

• There is no time limit, just go with what feels right for you :) Some people know they want to be with each other forever when they've just met, for other people it takes years to work up to the next step

• When you feel like you're in a place to married to someone. There's no time frame on this

• Engagement shoot followed by a proposal within a year. If it's more than that is just making sure that you stay true to him and robs you of your precious time