Is it rude to get married before my older brother?

I want to ask my girlfriend to marry me this weekend because it's a long weekend and it's our anniversary. My family very old fashioned, that the oldest son should get married first, her family's the same way but with sisters and brothers.

( I don't know were this belongs so I just picked a category srry)

Most Helpful Guy

• You should discuss this with your brother and ask his advice. You are much more likely to get a good response if you include him in making the decision.

What Girls Said 4

• It's silly and old fashioned but if you want to follow it you can. You are shit out of luck if he never marries though!

• He's three years older than me and has never had a girlfriend for more a month

• in my opinion your happiness and life should not be forced to rely on something arbitrary like if/when your brother gets married. You are different people and will lead different lives. You getting married before or after should have a neither a positive or negative on your brother, and vice versa.

• No it isn't rude at all. What if your brother finds love in 5 years, or 0 years? Would you have to wait 10 years to get married?

• It depends.

My family is the same way.
    Oldest to youngest.

It's that way for a reason. So I get it.

My sister doesn't mind if I get married before her, so in that case it won't be rude.

If your bro does not mind as well, then it's not being rude.

Talk to him.

• My husbands family was like that but he didn't care and he proposed before both of his older brothers and one was already engaged but we got married first. Didn't go over well when we gave them the date but they got over it. His brother didn't set a date for a year later so we didn't want to wait.

What Guys Said 2

• No, I don't think it's rude but have you spoken to your brother about this? is he okay with this? or have you decided to go ahead with this irrespective to what he thinks?

• No, it's not rude at all. Sounds like a very odd tradition in my opinion.