What kind of band for an engagement ring?

My girlfriend wears primarily silver-colored jewelry so I think she would want a white metal for an engagement ring too. What would you say is the best quality you can go with in terms of something that's going to be strong and continue to look nice over the years? What do you prefer?

What Girls Said 2

• I'd say white gold, I already know I want my engagement ring to be white gold and I'm not even in or close to being in any type of relationship right now. I just don't like yellow gold, I don't think it looks good on me and I just generally think it's ugly and I don't like the way diamonds or any stones look on it. Platinum is always nice too but I'm pretty sure that's crazy expensive and if white gold doesn't hold up you could always replace the ring later, not like 2 or 3 years later but like 20 or 30. My Dad replaced my Mom's engagement ring a few years ago.

• Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I'd ever want to have to replace it--if platinum can hold up for a lifetime and not need to be replaced, that seems like it might be a better investment to me.

• Personally I prefer white metals and silver myself. White gold is always nice, however I'm not sure how long it lasts. Platinum of course is extremely durable but it costs a fortune. (Unless of course you nick it out of your catalytic converter but I wouldn't know about such things...)

• Thanks for the info--i've heard platinum is durable too. Does that mean it will hold the diamond more securely too?

• I'll ask my dad as he's an ex silver smith.

What Guys Said 0