Should a wife submit to and obey her husband?

This is what the Bible says but religion or not, should she submit and obey?

Most Helpful Guy

• That would be nice. The husband shouldn't abuse it but, I think it would save a lot of marriages or even relationship if a man felt like the man in a relationship.

• Submission doesn't mean "weak". It means show respect for the man's role. It empowers him to be the best he can for his wife, and makes the woman feel safe. It also gives the man incentive to be a great man, because a woman won't marry him unless he's worthy of her respect.

I think this is a very healthy dynamic.

• You are pretty wise to be young. I can't believe a woman think the way you do in these time. I really believe you will make a good wife.
      Thanks for MHO!

What Guys Said 33

• let me guess, the old testament? Leviticus? Or deuteronomy?

It also say we're not supposed to mix different kinds of fabric.
    - leviticus 19.19

And that phsics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned. That means all scienists
    - levitius 20.27

and that we're not allowed to cut our hair or shave
    -leviticus 19.27

and that anyone cursing (at) their mother or father is to be killed
    -leviticus 20.9

and that anyone cursing or blaspheming god is to be stoned by society
    -leviticus 24.14-16

and anyone suggesting converting or leaving christianity is to be killed
    - Deuteronomy 13:6-10

and that christians are to kill everyone (including the animals) in towns worshiping different religions
    -Deuteronomy 13:12-15

and that you're to kill anyone with a different religion
    -Deuteronomy 17:2-7

and that we're not supposed to be fat
    -leviticus 3.17

you know what? just read more or less everything leviticus wrote!

And just for the hell of it, one last funny quote;
    "She lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." -Ezekiel 23.20
    Yep, that's actually a bible quote. Look it up if you don't believe me

• those wonderful people who take things they know nothing about out of context !!

• I didn't say you need any sort of education to read the bible I was just saying if you are going to interpret it for others you should know what the hell you are talking about and only an idiot would blindly follow the teaching of someone else without questioning their authority and credibility

• @idk87 ironic. How can i question something without seeking a different interpretation? Thus your statement forms a paradox.

This "monopoly" on the truth which you suggest, it is oe of the strong reasons the lutherean chruch exist. And i happen to be lutherean. so you know what, i don't care. I see NOTHING wrong with presenting MY interpretation of it.

hell, i never even interpreted anything. I just put forth statements made in the raw bible text, and specified where they are made. YOU interpreted my post.

• I believe that yes, a woman should respect and honor her husband. But the verses relating to how a woman should act are often misused by husbands who do none of the things they're supposed to be doing, and using it out of context as reason to keep her (and often the kids) down. What many refuse to learn or see, even when pointed out, is that there are plenty of verses on how a husband who is a follower of Jesus is supposed to treat his wife and children.

As we are referring to the wife / husband dynamic, here are a few verses. I think that in an idealized "Christian" home, that, yes, there should be a dynamic of a wife trusting her husband, going with him when he's trying to make the best decisions for the family. BUT - this also comes with the man leading the household, loving and protecting his family, and doing what is wise for them. I don't believe this also gives freedom from (loving) arguments & disagreements. She has a right to voice her opinion.

I see it constantly where people are just in general very disrespectful to their mates, so an idea of a wife respecting a decision (and a man respecting and loving his wife AND being a leader of sorts, that the concept is pretty foreign, and some would yell that it's sexist.

Of course, respecting, honoring and obeying have different contexts in different cultures, and generations.
    _______________________________

Colossians 3:19 ESV

Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
    _________________________________

1 Peter 3:7 ESV

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
    _________________________________

Ephesians 5:33 ESV

However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
    _________________________________

Genesis 2:24 ESV

Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Guys - don't be a mamas boy if mama is dead wrong on something.

________________________________

Philippians 2:4 ESV

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

______________________________________

Ephesians 5:21 ESV

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
    _______________________________

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

• " food for thought." Conclusion: the Bible is full of contradictions. Thanks, I knew that.

• I think those types of statements in the Bible must be understood in the context of the culture that existed when the Bible was written. Most Christians today do not expect a wife to be subservient. I consider myself to be a Christian and I want a wife who is an equal partner.

• All statements in the Bible must be understood in the context of the culture that existed when the Bible was written.

• @jacquesvol to each his own as they say !! I can debate on the topic you just mentioned but this post and place ain't the one to discuss such things i guess. Peace 😊

• @candyaurora @jacquesvol It is always nice to see people maintain civility and part in peace after a disagreement. Peace out!

• He hee heee, har har har har..(gasp) That's a good one, Juuey. Any other jokes in the Bible?

• @martyfellow The Bible is full of it: daughters raping their father, men offering their girlfriend to rapists, forced abortion, killing of children, a prophet considered pacifist savior telling to buy swords. God ordering to kill and steal, people killed by God for dodging taxes etc, etc.

• Yes, if she wants to submit and obey her husband out of her own free will then she can do that. It's her personal choice.

• The bible says all kinds of fucked up shit. If half the stuff I read was true I would be a millionaire with a 10 foot penis by now judging by all the spam mail I get.

• Wash: You and Zoe have been in plenty of situations like this before, right?

Mal: Many a' time.

Wash: Many a' time, you and Zoe.

Mal: At least we know who it was took us-

Wash: Zoe and you. Together, in a tricky...[beat] Mal, she's my WIFE!

Mal: Huh?

Wash: What gives you the right to put her in a dangerous situation like this?

Mal: I didn't!

Wash: You did!

Mal: She ain't here, Wash!

Wash: No, but she would've been!

Mal: Okay...

Wash: I mean, I'm the one that she swore to love, honor, and obey!

Mal: Listen, if— [surprised] She swore to obey?

Wash: Well, no... not— [beat] But that's just my point! You, she obeys! She obeys you. There's obeying going on right under my nose!

Mal: Look, Zoe and I have a history— she trusts me.

Wash: What's that supposed to mean?

Mal: Don't mean a thing, but you're making out like she blindly follows my every word; that ain't true.

Wash: Sure it is.

Mal: Not so. There's plenty orders of mine that she didn't obey.

Wash: Name one!

Mal: She married YOU!

• Hell no! I love when a woman challenges me in the relationship. I love when there's compromise and I love when there's a deep bond of trust and communication.

• I think there's a verse in Corinthians something to the effect of both Man and Woman are equal in the Lord.
    Either way, I think Men and Women should be equal in a relationship. No one is better or less than the other, both are lucky to have each other.

• No, of course not. That statement in the bible is outdated nonsense. It's one of the things that while the Catholic belief evolves, should disappear. No discrimination based on gender. Also the prohibition for ladies to become priest should disappear. That rule as well does not belong in 2015!

• I believe that even the pope has said things to that effect.

• @jacquesvol the churches don't want to be empty either... but 98% of the priests and church visitors are 60+ so... if they don't change anything they can soon start selling churches :-(

• John XXIII tried to make it evolve but failed.

• Well most girls love being dominated and love to submit and be used by there man.
    They like to be degraded , disrespected and made to do some real submissive things all in enjoyment behind closed doors.

They just don't want or like to be disrespected in public. Any other times it's what they like.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think so.
    " bring me another beer bitch "
    " yes sir right away "
    Lmao.

• They both should submit to each other, rather than "having their voices" or one submitting and obeying another.

• If the man is trustworthy in a decision-making role, I say yes.

The issue is that most men these days, aren't deserving or trustworthy to be that primary decision maker and leader in the relationship dynamic!

• Be a team together. Two heads are better than one at making decisions. But don't overdo it or emasculate your husband.

• Yes, but the bible also says for a man to care for his wife and tend to her needs, its not a one way street like most people misunderstand, a woman should tend to the husband and as the husband is head of the house hold he should tend to his wife's needs and care for his children, so it goes both ways

• So as the husband should obey his wife that's in Islam anyway I don't know about ur relgion

• You only "submit" to God. As for husband, she should respect every REASONABLE and humane demand of her husband. But if she feels he is being unreasonable, she has every right to get out of the relationship.

BTW: I am not quoting the Bible. I don't follow the Bible.

• im christian and i dont believe that.
    women shouldn't be treated as slaves; no one should.

• Depends on wether she has married an idiot or not

• haha... yes, cos people need to "contribute" which is very Biblical... hahahaha.. most people don't follow the Bible consistently duuuh.,

• To be clear, it does say she should submit, but it does not say obey.

• I mean I'm not super religious or anything but yeah absolutely she should I mean that's her place, to do what she's told.

• The only place that a woman has is at the SIDE of her husband as HIS equal. IF he is a Godly man and (even if not Godly just a real man in general) she will have no problem being submissive to a strong head/husband. If he's a retarded, asshole, dickhead she's gonna rear right up and doubt him. Its foolish for you to say a womans place is to do what she's told. if you get a wife like that you will not as fufilled as being woman who is strong an opinionated who will help you become a better man by her wisdom and council.

• No, she shouldn't.

• No, a wife doesn't have to submit or obey to her husband as a husband doesn't have to submit to his wife.

• Nope, Its another reason I turned away from organized religion

• in a sub dom relationship they do

• i guess she better obey, or be made to obey

haha

• yes. man is the head of the family and woman the heart and pillar the keeps the head attached.

• Supposedly in the eastern traditions

• That was in the olden days, The world has moved on, In those days, it was the norm

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 26

• a man shall leave his mother
    And a woman leave her home
    And they shall travel on to where the two shall be as one
    As it was in the begining
    It is now until the end
    Woman draws her life from man
    Then gives it back again

• Only if wives were meant to be slaves and not people, which i'm sure they are not

This question is stupid

• meaning that u have to look at things within a context and not just take random phrases out of the bible and ask if they are an absolute truth

• Calm yourself. I'd submit whether it was in the bible or not

• I admit I was a bit harsh in my tone. I guess I just have seen many questions about people taking things out of context because it serves a purpose for them.

I'm sorry however. I regreted it after I wrote it

• That's only part of that Bible verse. It's very commonly taken out of context, as you have here.

It's a two way street. If anyone wants to know more, Ill be happy to elaborate 📖

• Submit yourselves onto your husband is taken out of context? Lol not so much

• Not saying I disagree with you @Asker. Just saying there's more to it. And male chauvinists are famous for using only the part of the verse you reference, and not the rest.

• Thanks for the down vote. FTR... I DO agree with the ENTIRE verse. What I don't agree with, is people that just use half of it to push an agenda.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Your polygamist boyfriend is manipulating the Bible AND you.

• If she wants to. If she doesn't, then don't. Let each individual/couple decide for themselves I guess...

• According to Islam, yes the husband is supposed to be the head of the household (not dictator!) and he is supposed to be loving, caring and respectful towards his wife and children. So it is only fair that he is respected back and has a final say. But even in that he is supposed to consult and cooperate with his wife!
    "And those who have responded to their lord and established prayer and whose affair is [determined by] consultation among themselves, and from what We have provided them, they spend." Holy Quran 42:38.

• If that's what you want for your marriage, then all the power to you. That's now what I want for me, though.

• If that's what you believe, you're free to do so.

That's not what I believe and not what I want for my life.

• Only if that's what she wants.

• What century are you from?

• No. I'm fine being the one handling the bills and decisions and everything else. I'm a control freak that way though and I'm the one that controls the money and where it goes. He just brings it in and hands it over. That's the way it was when I was married. He was more than fine with letting me run the household.

• Keep in mind, in the Bible it ALSO says that the man should treat the woman as Christ treated the church. So, as the woman submits, the man (in agreement) should put her needs first...

That's the purpose of submission: cooperation and humility, not control and power.

• Lol if she enjoys living like a slave, then yes.

• well, if all his ideas are awesome, i'd have no problem agreeing with all of his ideas.

• I think all relationships are differing. I am not the submissive type most the time. So if a guy tries to boss me around I will not let him. My relationship is pretty equal. However in the bedroom we switch dominance.

• As a pastor's daughter I have to say yes

• I submit to my husband in the bedroom. Everything else is negotiable. We are equal partners in our marriage.

• Most definitely not.. Period.

• Two words : Fuck that

• im religious too but i think that is CRAZY. there is noo way im going to obey another human just because he's, well, a he. a man.

• Noo never and every guy who imposes or forces something to his women is a piece of shit like what do you think yourself? i do what i want whenever i want, god gave everything im not supposed to obey him for something he can do and im not a servant

• Yes she has to unless he treat her bad !

• As a theist who is loosely Christian and has read the entire Bible, as well as other religious texts from various faiths.

I believe more in the spirit of the Bible, as a collection of anecdotes, history and indirect interpretations of interpretations. A lot of the gender instructions come from Paul, who was not so much in favor of marriage at all when it could be avoided.
    I don't believe in the infallibility of Church personalities, though this is what we're "supposed" to believe. But there have been too many obvious examples that this is not true.

Anyway, I believe the basic spirit of the New Testament is to love one another, forgive, be fair and kind, be moderate and humble, seek enlightenment over riches or fame, share, perform your work without grumbling, have faith in God and the savior Jesus Christ (himself an icon of these virtues).

• Oops, my point is that by following the spirit of the Bible, a marriage or any other endeavor should be positive.

• The bible says all kinda stuff including killing non believers. Does it mean we should? Of course not

• Yes. It's just the way it should be. Let him feel like a man. That doesn't mean you have to listen to everything he says, but that does mean you should have a certain respect for your husband. Especially women who want to be stay at home moms while he is at work.

• you have to make sure you're not taking it out of context it means a wife should respect her husband but its not saying that he is controlling or anything like that she respects him he respects her they both love each other and he is the man in the relationship, he takes the lead but that doesn't mean he is a sexist

• Not if you don't want to, you have a say too.