Do bridesmaids have to pay for their dress?

My cousin is getting married and she's asked me to be a bridesmaid. This might seem like a silly question but I've never been in a wedding before so I was curious whether or not I would have to pay for my dress? The fitting is today so ideally I would like to have cash on me just in case. Advice?

I had to pay for the dress 😩

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if they do pay for their dress but I would volunteer to pay for it cause it might cost you $100 dollars but if she has 6 bridemaids it will cost her $600 dollars.

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, bridesmaids normally pay for their dresses and groomsmen pay for their tuxedo rentals.

• Ahh yes in most cases they do

• Yes they do because the brides family has to pay for the whole wedding

• lol my bad I got confused I thought you were talking about the bride alone for her own wedding dress not her best friend

• It just depends on if the brides family can afford it or nice

• Absolutely not. It should be part of the wedding cost.

• typically they do

• In north america, the custom is generally that bridesmaids pay their own. There are generally some other costs associated with it too.

What Girls Said 11

• I have been a brides maid at two weddings. One I was just a regular brides maid and the other I was the maid of honor. I had to pay for my maid of honor dress but didn't have to pay for my brides maid dress. I think it truly depends on the wife and husband and how their finances are at that given time.

• Yes, I've been a bridesmaid twice and I bought my dress both times.

• Yes, you do have to pay for your own dress. And any shoes she may want you to specifically wear, as well as accessories. Unless she plans on giving you the accessories as a bridesmaid gift.

• No. You don't pay anything for the dress. I mean your cousin decides how it looks amd everything so she is the one who'll be paying. Free dress for you yay. 😉

• No the bride supposed to / usually buys the dress for her bridesmaids or here the bride will buy her the same fabric and they could design their own kebaya.

• If they don't have a specific dress in mind, then yep.

• My best friend asked me to be her maid of honor and literally refuses to let me pay for my dress xD but some bridesmaids and maids of honor do have to pay for their dress. I guess it just depends on the bride and the cost of the wedding.

• Bridesmaids usually pay for the dress, unless the bride is either really friendly or really rich.

• The bride picks out the dress and the bridesmaid pays for it

• I've been a bridesmaid over 15 times I have always payed for my dress.

• Yah I have spent thousands on dresses. I only do it for close friends or family for that reason. My cousins dress was 450 seeiously...

• Generally, yes you do