Are arranged marriages more likely to last?

Why? Why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Even the ones that don't last the people aren't very happy in it, they mostly stay together for the children and because of their own separate families and culture.

Just remember though just because people stay together in arranged marriages doesn't mean they are happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah because divorce is not really a opinion in most of these cultures that do it.

What Guys Said 22

• Arranged marriages are pretty common in my country, and they do last here,. compared to marriages where the couple fall in love first and then get married.

But I'm completely against this concept of arranged marriage, and would rather remain single than going for such a marriage.

• I don't know a lot about this subject, but I would guess that places with arranged marriages they have a harder time trying to get a divorce. Otherwise an arranged marriage wouldn't have any meaning behind it. If that is the case, then them having a lower divorce rate doesn't mean arranged marriages are happier.

• Arranged marriages are more likely to happen in traditional societies.
    The more a society disapproves of divorce, the longer failed marriages will *seem* to last. Will people be happier then? I don't think so.

• WHAT IS DIVORCE?
    WHEN A, couple separate, and end of marriage.
    According to science there was positive attraction which has turned into negative In system
    There is rule of science = Every system bends towards a point where it can find equilibrium...
    So every relationship is supposed to end when they loose love of each other and divorce comes when they hate each other.
    If a system has positive energy then only it's capable of carrying negative energy! Like if there are positive charges on surface or a body then there are negative charges inside body.
    DIVORCE happens only when couple repel each other..
    And since only love marriage have capacity to contain attractions or +ve / dell+ve energy of attraction, thus it has capacity to contain negative energy too.
    And Divorce only happens when there is negative energy or repulsion in a relationship.

When it comes to arranged marriage.
    This system of couple is already in equilibrium.
    They don't have spark, they don't have that crazy +ve energy between them.
    Since they have no positive energy they are not at all capable of containing enough negative charge or enough repulsion to achieve a state of DIVORCE.
    HENCE PROVED

• No it doesn't have any higher chance than non arranged marriages , even less in my view. Your expecting comparability based on someone else's choices of a partner rather than your own.

• Statistically yes. The reason is because in cultures where arranged marriages are popular, divorce is seen as a major loss of face for both families so for that and other circumstancial reasons associated with where these cultures exist as well as other aspects of the cultures, even couples who hate each others guts just stay together.

• Statistically yes they are

• I would think that the individuals involved would just be "living someone else's life" and not their own. I wouldn't see any happiness in this. I don't know what the statistics are as to the percentage that are successful in comparison.

• Studies have shown that yes, arranged marriages are more likely to last.

The theory is that along with arranged marriages, comes the support cast of arrangers who have a vested interest in keeping the marriage going. Therefore, when problems arise within the marriage, there's automatically a whole cast of support crew to help resolve problems.

• No, I don't believe in that logic. To me that's totally illogical. I have my reasons yes.

• Most likely, though maybe not for the best of reasons. They would probably last because there would be both a greater pressure to succeed and greater shame for divorce in most of the cultures were it is still practiced. That is not to say that our unrealistic Enlightenment concept of "soulmates" and trying to pursue love as a fleeting emotion is any better, evident by our massive divorce rate, but perhaps there is a healthy medium we can achieve through combining the pros of each.

• They are more likely to last, because in the end the reason you are getting married is simple to get married and have someone by your side. You don't have high expectations and you are content due to that.

When you marry someone because you love them, however, you tie your marriage to the love and affection you feel for that person. When or if that love decays over time, your marriage also gets weaker and weaker.

• Do you think it has anything to do with partner count for both people being low also?

• @TriniMed I don't know, I can't comment on that.

You can easily say that your marriage survives if you want it to survive, rather than you have strong feelings for your partner. But, if having high numbers of partners before you got married have anything to do with how much you'd want your marriage to survive is a question I don't know the answer to. I can't draw a direct line between them, so I'm inclined to think no.

• Because of family pressures lol

• I don't see why they would be

• I'd venture a guess that they are, but only because of cultural pressures.

• Hellz no he might have a two inch cock, she might be fugly, their may be no chemistry. You may dislike each other etx

• Historically they do. Whether they are HAPPY marriages or not I don't know.

• I don't probably but only cause of cultural reasons.

• Statistics says so but I don't belive in this shit actually

• Yeah, the wife will fear death if she steps out of line and the husband will like having someone he can fuck when he wants and who cooks and cleans for him and bears his children and brings them up. It's abhorrent but that's not the question.

• I don't know. I would think so with the right 2 people. If you have 2 people who truly want to make it work and learn and love together it will work. People who get married regularly already have dated. People who are arranged have to learn about each other. Like the fun of dating someone. Getting to know everything. Talking and seeing where it goes.

• yes because they are not products of lust

What Girls Said 14

• because its not marriage between only two people.. its between two families.. so a lot to think about..

• I think they are because some times the parents know what is best for the kids and are better jude of characters. I also think that the parents will be able to talk to both parties and straighten out things if there are problems with the marriage. Vwith that being said, I declined arrange marriage and now my parents say that I am on my own... I am trying my best to make it work but some times it's hard.

• It's hard to say. Because arranged marriages are practically unheard of in Western society, there's no basis for comparison. In cultures where arranged marriage is commonplace, there is generally more of a culture of trying everything to make the relationship work. There's also the understanding that passionate love may never be found in your marriage.

It's different. I'm not sure you could say arranged marriage or love marriage was more successful because they're difficult to compare directly.

• Some work, some dont. Id say it depends on the culture, how nice the parents are about it, and how open the kids are to doing it.

• Yes because it shows you trust your parents enough to choose your spouse for you which means you probably had a decent and conservative upbringing.

Also because you do not go into the marriage with a fantasy in your head that is unrealistic and not reflective of what a real relationship is about.

Do you know they say that the more people spend on a wedding the more likely they are to divorce?

• No, I don't think so. Unless it happens in a culture where divorce is nearly impossible, which is probably the case in most circumstances of an arranged marriage.

• Not something the gag population would know. My OPINION is that in places where arranged marriages are done, divorces are NOT done. So technically they would "last longer" but only because it's a forced relationship.

• Eh.. Maybe lol

• Fuck no. They're not based on love.

• They do last longer.. so many studies have proved this.. but its not because of love.. nor because they are happily married.. the most common reason is that the couples have to go through hell because of their families if they choose to get separated..

• Arranged marriages often last because the families are very close and try very hard to make it last. Also where arranged marriages take place, the cultures shun upon divorce. Example, in india, where divorce is almost like a taboo. Soooo yeah. Just because a marriage lasts doesn't make it a good marriage.

• 1) Stigma of divorce
    2) Staying together for the sake of the children
    3) Truly happy with each other
    4) Know it takes work to make a relationship last and aren't so fixated on me me me

• Yeah because in countries where arranged marriages are the norm, divorce is illegal.

• Yes they are - but most likely that is because there is a huge social stigma around divorce in countries or cultures where arrange marriages are more common.

• Yes, but only because cultures that still participate in arranged marriages typically don't do divorce, lol. The couple enters the marriage while not seeing divorce as even a possibility.