Marriage: would your SO’s family be a deal breaker?

When you marry someone you’re also kind of marrying into their family but if his/her family is crazy would you call it off?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm marrying the individual, ONE, I don't have problems with the family being around but I don't want their opinions, like "you should have more sex guys", like... we'll decide what to do, so shut up

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering how I was treated by my first girlfriend's family it would be a deal breaker. Family members that discriminate and are over protective suck and add stress. I rather not deal with that again.

What Girls Said 3

• I'd still marry him. I just wouldn't go around his family (aside from the wedding). But how crazy are you talking?

• at least crazy enough to make you think twice about going through with marriage. I'm only asking hypothetically.

• if the family was racist then even after marriage you would be under the threat of being killed if you messed something up or considered getting divorced or anything that would harm your husband. Not a good situation to be in unless you're completely sure that you love him and are willing to deal with the racism. Otherwise you could run as far away as possible, leave the country or something.

• Yea thats why Im saying I could deal if they were just loud drunk nonracist rednecks... But if they were full on racist, I couldnt deal

• Nah

My family is just as bad probably

• If they didn't accept me because of religion/race or anything else, then yes, it would be a deal breaker,

What Guys Said 4

• Well the question actually doesn't apply to me, because I never want to get married in my lifetime but I have another answer can I give my opinion in a hypothetical sense?

• sure you can, go ahead

• Well I'll answer this hypothetically, say if was faced with this situation then there is one thing I would look out for:

1. I have to be absolutely sure that she is the woman of my dreams and that she wants to be with me irrespective to how her family is, that is I won't care how my family is or what they think about my SO ( hypothetical) if I am sure that she is the woman of my dreams and she wants to be with me at all costs then I won't care about anything else, but then I'll expect the same thing from her as well, but if she doesn't do this or is not ready to do this then I would call it off.

However if she doesn't want to be with me because of her family or for any reasons related to her family then I'll call it off.

I am not sure if you understood, it's not that easy to explain.

• I don't know, depends on how crazy they are. If they were just a bunch of shitheads then I would not call off the wedding. I would definitely make sure to never let them near my kids when my wife and I have them.

If they were legit psychos, like they would be willing to harm me and/or my family if given the chance, I would not go through with the wedding.

• Yes, I would just move to another state and have at least 200 miles between us. I bet if there family is that dysfunctional they can't afford to follow us.

• What do you mean by "crazy"?