Would you let your parents decide who you marry?

This question is inspired by a new tv show I found my mom watching one day where these older people were getting set up by their parents to be married.

so would you let your parents choose who you marry if you couldn't find anyone yourself? Why or why not?

• yes
  • No
  • Other/answers

Most Helpful Guy

• No, never. Nobody takes my decisions, it's my life and only I can take decisions regarding my life. Right or wrong whatever it maybe , I always take my decisions and face the consequences.

So what if they are my parents? They don't decide how I should lead my life, hence I will never let them decide whom I should marry and what kind of marriage I should have.

However to tell you that it will never happen, meaning I have decided to remain single till death, and I have made that clear to my parents also. I have told them my decision. I don't need their approval, I don't care if they accept my decision or not. It's fine if they disown me, it's fine if they stop talking to me. I just don't care, but not matter what my decision is final. Such is my thinking.

Please don't misunderstand me, this is not my arrogance, this is my thought process, and my thought process is very clear, it's also my self-realization.

I hope you understood all that I have written, please don't assume anything, if you didn't understand anything just ask me, okay.

Most Helpful Girl

• What TV show is it?
    And no. Who I spend my life with is not their decision.

• It's a show called Married by Mom and Dad, it started this December I believe.

• Im gonna watch it. Seems interesting even tough I'd never let it happen.
      I remember married at first sight too haha. These shows are funny.

• It was an interesting show from what little I saw of it lol

What Guys Said 20

• I don't want my parents deciding who I marry. I feel it is my choice. How about you asker? Would you let your parents decide who you marry?

• absolutely not. if i had let my mom decide who i was going to marry based on the girls she always suggested i date in high school i'd be miserable now

• Not at all. I'd be the one marrying and living with the woman, not them. This would certainly have to be my choice and my choice only.

• LOL no, my life is my life in that regard.

They probably have no clue about the person they'd be giving me to anyways, and no, I would not stand by that. I'm surprised there are places where people are totally okay with that.

• Not ever gonna happen

• No: they hated my wife.

• No way, their opinion is usually not compatible with mine :P

• I wouldn't trust my parents to decide which t shirt to buy how will I let them decide who to marry 😂😂😂

• Yeah, definitely beats being forever alone. Plus, my parents know who i am and what my traits are, so they would be better at choosing someone i can live with in harmony. Not to mention the would make an objective choice, so blind-love won't be a problem. It's actually a great ides if you want your marriage to last.

• Not a chance! I marry whoever I want!

• eh no, never. it's none of their business and I'll won't marry someone I'm not interested in

• ... FUCK no...

• Not a fucking chance. My mom made me take this ugly chick out in 3rd grade (our parents were friends) and since then I've pretty much ignored anything she has to say about my love life. :P

• Arranged marriages should be a thing with daughters only, they ain't gonna make any good decisions on their own. Let's be honest here :|
    Plus a dude could get some good cattle for all his years of hardshipS... Or a herd of yak!

JK :p

• I was going to choke you till I reread your comment. lol hahaha

• Hell to the NO.

• I know better, so No.

• I would appreciate their input, but I won't let them decide for me.

• Hell to the no.

• I trust them enough to let them have veto power.

• I married the girl my parents picked. I'm happy.

• by the way... All those who are so strong against it, ask them how many of them even believe in marriage.

What Girls Said 19

• HEEEEEELLLLLL NO.
    I don't see any good reason why the hell I would let them make such a huge decision for me. That's not how love works.

• I've watched that show to, and no absolutely not. Because my mum has a total different taste than me and I don't even think she knows what I like haha.

• Nope! Personality compatibility is way too important to me, and I can't be sure my parents will pick well.
    I would be willing to consider whoever they picked, would go out with him and see if we get along well together. But no way would I just blindly fall into whatever marriage my parents set up. xD

• Possibly. So far my mother has good taste and seems to know what I like

• My dad won't do it anyway.. I can find a partner myself.

• No. While I value and respect their opinion, at the end of the day, I'm the one that has to marry him.

• No one knows what I want as much as I do. Besides, match making irks me.

• fuck no!!!

• No way, I make my own decisions... I would never let them decide that.

• I do not want to get married, and of i did want to. There is no way in hell that they would be choosing my husband

• Hell no! Because thats gonna be the person Im gonna share my life with, so I wanna be madly in love and no one has the right to make desicions for me. My life, my choices. I want my freedom

• They'd choose the worst person. They have no concept. They can't even get along with each other.

• I think marriage is to much of a personal thing to let someone else choose for you

• Hahahaha god no. My mom would love for me to marry rich so no thanks

• Sort of
    My parents picks a guy after they find out he is a good man.

Then they ask me if I like him or not.

If I do, we set up a date to talk to the guy.

Etc.

After some more stuffs, they ask me if it's a yes from me

• Marriage should be a union between two souls that love and respect one another

• Hell no
    ..
    ..

• In some cultures they do that but absolutely not.

• I wouldn't allow it to ever happen.