Girls, do I ask my girlfriend or her Dad for Marriage?

Let's say I wanted to propose to my girlfriend. Is it a good idea to ask for her father's permission to marry?
Or do I just ask her?

This is hypocritical.

8

Most Helpful Girl

• If you genuinely don't know the answer to this question, then you haven't done all yr homework for this class. Yr still missing the assignment called "Get to know the girl and her family."
    So, yeah, go do yr homework.
    (:

Srsly, there should be an obvious answer to this, one way or the other. It's not the same answer for every family.
    Also, this is pretty much the world's easiest test, anyway. If yr a man who actually deserves the title of man, then you really can't fuck this one up. Do it like you mean it, and it will be well received, no matter what "it" is.

__

Oh yeah, and.

DO NOT GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEE (S).

Don't. Don't even. Think about it. Don't even think about it.

That's all.

::hands mic to next woman::

What Girls Said 7

• I love that my husband asked my dad, but with that being said we are pretty southern and old fashioned. I think it's a very respectful and admirable thing to do. It's like looking a man in the eyes and having a good handshake. I like those kind of men.

• I think if you know their relationship and if they're close then yes ask him, what could really go wrong, he says no- and you'd probably still end up asking her.

• I think it depends on where you live and if the the family is into tradition.
    Either way, I think asking the father is always seen as something good. Sure, he might refused but if he says yes, he will always remember that you asked his permission and that could be a huge plus in his your favor

• Shouldn't hurt anything if you don't, but might make you look a little extra classy and respectful if you do. I think it depends on how well you know her dad, how comfortable you feel talking to him, and what kind of relationship each of you has with him.

• Depends on the girl. My sister and I are quite different. My Husband didn't ask my Dad and I wouldn't have wanted him to... we live in an era where we are no longer owned by our Fathers and can make decisions for ourselves. My Husband is of like mind. My sister however saw it as a flattering age old tradition that included our parenting in their courting and he was raised as to where that was still a thing. Depends on you guys really.

• If you are like my husband, you could ask her dad for his blessing, and then ask her for her hand. :) I hope this helps, and good luck!

• Ask them both, so you can get the chance to have double confirmation.