Platinum or White Gold Engagement Ring? What to do?

My girl's dream ring is like a $3500 designer ring in Platinum 18k. However, a fancy jewelery shop in my state has it for $1500 less if I choose to get it in 18k White Gold. My girl honestly doesn't expect a ring over $1000 but I want to get her her dream ring. However, if I get it in White Gold, it could lose its shine over time. Platinum, on the other hand, never loses its color. What to do?

Platinum or White Gold Engagement Ring? What to do?This isn't the ring, but see the color difference

• #TakeTheShortCut White Gold designer ring for $2000
  • #TheRealDeal Platinum designer ring for $3500
  • #AreYouInsane Get her what she expects: $1000 ring

Most Helpful Girl

• The cheaper version of her dream. The gold may fade out BUT it can just show the journey it's been through, kind of like proof of y'all journey through marriage.

Most Helpful Guy

• Choose the white gold. Platinum is a waste of money, and marketers simply make you think that it is superior. It is not.

Platinum is indeed a more expensive metal than gold. But ALL... and yes I mean ALL platinum jewelry is rhodium plated. Even the cheap jewelry you see at Claire's accessories for tweens are usually rhodium plated.

Platinum is actually a very dull metal, so it's ugly when used for jewelry. Rhodium on the other hand is VERY VERY SHINY and resistant to corrosion/oxidation, which is why they use it to plate jewelry. That means the underlying metal does not matter... whether it's gold or platinum. The ring could also be stainless steel plated in rhodium, and nobody could tell the difference visually.

However, the plating will eventually be rubbed off, and the ring will look dull unless you get it plated again. So there's a maintenance cost.

With a white gold ring, it will look less shiny than a rhodium plated ring, but one can only tell the difference if you hold a rhodium plated ring beside a white gold ring. Jewelers will have both rings side-by-side to to sell you on the shinier one, but toss the platinum ring away and just look at the white gold ring to see if it looks great.

What Girls Said 7

• Yup. Nothing says I love you more than an expensive rock! :)

I'll go with the white gold plated. :)

• See if you can find a jeweler who makes custom jewelry. He of she might be able to make it at a lower cost because you're not paying for the desinger name, and then there's the bonus of it being unique.

• I say get the one that never looses its shine.

• platinum ! it's about quality !

• I'm choosing platinum because I'm allergic to gold.

• This is something she will wear forever! Just make sure you get her a ring she can just add her wedding band to. I would say get her dream ring no short cuts has nothing to do with the price it's about her knowing you remembered exactly what she wanted.

I was proposed by someone with a ring that had to have been worth at least 15,000 circle and a material I'm allergic to and I said no because I knew he wasn't there one. He didn't even know what I liked or was allergic to I said it a million times.

My bow husband spent about 3,000 and it was he perfect ring it was even engraved and he caught every hint I ever said. Most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

• I prefer the look of the plated white gold (one on the left).

What Guys Said 6

• it may not be expensive as platinum ring but I do like this ring classicengagementring.com/Modern-Art-Deco-14K-Red-Gold-1-0-Ct-Black-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-R36N-14KREGBD
    My other choice would be a mokume gane metal ( Japanese style) www.mokume-trauringe.com/.../tricopt.jpg

• I think the fact that you are trying to make your fiance happy will make her happy. And it's just for right now. 20 years ago I would have been able to afford a $500 engagement ring. Now I might be able to purchase all three rings at once. So what it comes down to is what can you afford?

• You do realize that the only reason there's this fad with overly expensive rings is because of an aggressive marketing campaign back in the 30's? Why would you waste this much cash for a ring?

• What's within your budget? I'd say get the $2000 ring in white gold, but maybe that's still too expensive for you?

• $2000 isn't bad. But nothing over

• why not palladium^^

• If it's solid white gold, it won't really lose its shine any more than platinum.

My partner and i have platinum. My mother has white gold. White gold was developed as an alternative to platinum when platinum became illegal for jewelry use because it was all needed for military applications. That restriction has since been eased.

Is there a reason she wants platinum like to connect with what women in her family had, or just likes the look?

For the record my platinum band isn't all that shiny at this point. a decade and more of wear and tear gives it a soft vs. polished look.