For those of you who are married, who paid for the wedding?

The bride's family? The groom's family? The bride and groom themselves?

Most Helpful Guy

• It was just me and my wife.
    My father would have been happy to pay for it and have all my relatives come, but the attendance would have been lopsided - everyone from my side of the family and almost no one from my wife's. So, instead, we decided to have a small wedding at my future sister-in-law's farmhouse in Iowa. It was right across the street from a school and it was summertime, so we borrowed tables and chairs from the school. My parents, sister, and her husband came. On my wife's side, most of her half-siblings came. My wife's children and parents (all 3 of them) did not attend.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because our wedding was on such a huge scale, both my parents, and my in-laws went 50/50 on the bill.

What Guys Said 6

• my wife and i paid for the majority. my wife's father (my father in-law) had set up 5k to contribute to all his children's wedding (all 8 of his children boy or girl) so he contributed that $5k... but my wife and i paid the majority of the bills for our wedding

• For both of my marriages, the bride and groom paid for the wedding.

• Usually parents of wife are paying home stuff, parents of future husband are paying ceremony and after. Its not rule of course. I can't confirme it because we payed all from our money. But we are from different continents.

• Me and my wife paid for half, her family and mine also chipped in. It cost about $8,000 altogether.

• The tradition in a lot of areas was that the groom pays for the wedding ceremony, and the bride's family pays for the reception. That has become less true over time as people marry later.

In my case, I paid for the ceremony costs (church rental, priest, organist, violinist) plus my wife's rings. My wife paid for my ring. The reception was covered by a mix of my parents, my wife's father and step mother, and wife's mother. Wife's mother put in a fixed amount, my father and hers split the rest.

Oh, and my grandfather paid for champagne for a toast.

• We did together.

What Girls Said 3

• We paid for most of it (rings, flowers, dress and bridal stuff were just me). Some relatives paid for buffet and car as wedding gifts.

• My husband paid for suits, honeymoon, rings and gifts.
    I paid for cake, cars, flower girl dress, shoes.
    My dad paid for reception.
    My mum paid for my dress and bridesmaids dresses.

• My mother in-law paid for the venue and we paid for the vendors and the dress