How much should a guy spend on an engagement ring?

what is reasonable to you. And do us girls buy engagement rings for them? sorry I don't know much about this, please help thanks :)

Most Helpful Girl

• It's totally true that diamonds are a girls best friend and obviously I would love an engagement ring that had such a big rock I needed a crane to lift my hand. Which girl wouldn't want that?

But I would prefer an engagement ring that actually had some meaning. It would be more special to me if the guy had actually worked to get me the best ring he could afford. I would treasure that ring more, no matter what the size, because it would remind me how much he loved me.

Nowadays an engagement ring is sometimes seen as a man's status like how much he earns etc. But that devalues what the ring actually symbolizes. It symbolizes your love for one another and the fact that you are his and he is yours.

The money he's spent doesn't matter. My ideal engagement ring would be one worn by other women in his family, like his grandmother's ring. That would be the most romantic gesture for me, but then again I'm a sucker for old fashioned romance and rituals.

• Wow old school didn't think that was wanted any more.

• I'm the same way, money doesn't matter to me. I have been with my boyfriend for a while and he was talking to his mother one day about engagement. She told me one day that we went for lunch because I wanted to talk to her about something and she said that when the time is right for us both, he will give me a ring worn from one of the women in his family. I thought it was extremely sweet. But trust me, money to a lot of girls isn't important. Tradition means a lot more.

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• It depends on the girl as to how much you should spend. A friend of mine would kill for a huge diamond on her hand. I would hate that. I prefer small stones and dislike gold. If I found out a guy spent a fortune on a ring, I would kill him...I prefer the money to be used elsewhere.

Basically, think of the girl and try to remember what type of jewerly does she wear. Does she wear silver or gold? Does she like simple designs or complex? Does she prefer colored stones? etc.