What's your opinion on saving the phrase " I love you" for marriage?

• Good idea!
  • Bad idea!
  • Other
What I meant is that you don't ever say that you love someone in a romantic way until marriage.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will never understand cutting so much happiness out of your life until you've paid for a piece of paper. Sex, companionship, and now even telling someone how much they mean to you. Trying to force real emotions and desires through an artificial construct is so foolish I struggle to put it into words.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see why, if you love someone, why waiting for some ceremony to say it? First, no sex before marriage, now no "I love you" before marriage. What's next? Don't look me in the eyes before marriage?

What Guys Said 11

• I already think it's crazy to not live with each other before marriage, and definitely not to fuck before marriage. I mean, if you have some religious reason or something, whatever, but I'll be damned if whether or not we're sexually and domestically compatible is going to be an unknown going into a marriage, that's setting yourself up for disaster. "I'm just going to buy this car without test driving it..."

• That's unnecessary, it should be said before marriage, love would be an advisable requirement for marriage, so there's no point in telling the person that after marriage.

• That's a remarkably silly idea. Now we not only bind sexual behavior to bureaucracy, but general devotion as well.

That sounds like a perfect way to make a relationship miserable from the start!

• It's a choice like any other I mean personally for me I'll say it before marriage but not until I have genuine feelings of love for her.

• I think that idea is crazy. A guy and a girl should be in love before they get married.

• I'm sure there are cooler, more creative things you could say. I'm not anywhere near getting married but I've been thinking about more fun scenarios than just kneeling down at a restaurant. If my girlfriend is a lord of the rings fan maybe I could ask her "what do i have in my pocket?" That's a riddle asked by Bilbo to Gollum, the correct answer is "a ring" after that I would kneel down and say something nice. So yeah, just saying "I love you" is pretty lame in my opinion.

• Shit I thought you meant proposing by saying "I love you", now my opinion makes no sense. Well I feel like you should say "I love you" long before marriage.

• Do you feel the same way about saving virginity for marriage?

• Saving virginity for marriage is an idea that was very popular many years ago because women were traded for goods and money so virgins were "purer" and worth more stuff. Some retards still want their wives to be virgins and will not be happy if someone else had sex with them first. (For some reason GaG has many of these, many of them from arabic countries)

You should have sex with your partner once you feel comfortable around him and you're sure you really like him. Saving it for marriage is outdated, you will find lots of pleasure in sex and there's nothing wrong about that. Just don't throw away your virginity on your second date with some guy and also make sure to use the appropriate contraceptive methods.

• I've never heard of saving this until marriage. Why would you? Ridiculous in my opinion.

• Over-rated.. People should at least come up with Something original in an important day like that.

• well i wouldn't marry someone i didn't love..

• As in you never tell anyone else that you love them in a romantic way. Only the person you are marrying. No one else beforehand.

• surely that requires either knowing the future or keeping the fact that i love my fiancee a secret from her, which i feel would limit the chances of the relationship developing to that point..
      but i guess i see what you're trying say, that the word love should have more sanctity and not just to be thrown around, but i think thats the point of marriage today now that it's not about ownership or divine judgment. it acts as the level of love and commitment above saying "i love you".
      that's what i think anyway..

• Just as idiotic and stupid as not having sex before marriage

• What about people that want a life partner with no marriage?

• What about them?

• If they went by what you said they'd never hear "I love you"

• This is just a different take on the whole waiting til marriage to lose your virginity thing. Either way it doesn't really affect those who aren't looking to marry.

What Girls Said 9

• I'm not going to marry someone on an "I like you a lot."

• Yeah, I'm not going to dedicate the rest of my life to someone who can't even say they love me.

• look, it's a choice. i haven't heard of this often, but just like sex, people can choose to do it before or after marriage. the choice should be understood and respected. it's that simple.

• Eh, you get married if you know you love that person... At least that's how I think it should be.

So before getting married, you have to say it, I don't think it's a good idea to say it only after getting married, what's the purpose?

• It's stupid. When I say I love you, it's something spontaneous. It can happen any day, at any time. He could be just sitting around with you, laughing at something you're saying and you're like, damn I love you. It's not something you control, and not saying it is like sopping yourself from expressing something beautiful and true. Why wait until freaking marriage?

• I'd say'' You really fuck with me, don't you?'' lol

• Why would you do that? If your asking them to marry you or saying yes you obviously love them

• No sex, no making out or saying "I love you" before marriage.

• People who wait until marriage for everything are miserable. How can you marry someone that you don't love?