Should couples share bank accounts?

I over heard two collegues dissucssing several friends they have that have separate bank accounts even though they're married and how weird they thought it was. Me and my husband keep our finances fairly separate and will even pay each other back for most items, neither one asks for it but we usualy keep it even. Is it that unusual?

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion, each of you should have your own bank account, but you should also have a joint account. Every month, you each move money into the joint account to pay for joint expenses (housing, utilities, insurance, etc.) and if one person does the bill-paying, they should communicate with the other about the state of the bills on a regular basis. Communication is critical.

But, this assures that you each have your own account and credit history, so that, in the event that one person dies or you get divorced, no one is starting from zero. It also allows you to each have money that is "yours" - that you can spend without having to justify or explain to the other.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's unusual. My parents do much the same thing. They have a small joint account that they both pay into for bills, etc. Otherwise, they keep their money separate. That isn't to say that they don't help each other out, but it's a pretty equal endeavour. Or, as much as it can be as my mother makes less than half what my dad makes.

What Guys Said 9

• I grew up in a really traditional home so that seems really weird for me personally, for married couples to not use a joint account

• I personally like having separate bank accounts, and I would prefer to keep it that way. We lend each other money if something like that is required.

• I believe in dividing the bills in a fair way. Every couple is free to make their own choices, but for me I prefer separate accounts. If both partners are not legit, loyal, honest, and respectful to each other, joint accounts end up being a disaster for one of the spouses. I've seen good women and men, get cleaned out by their shiesty ass spouses, who they felt "loved" them beyond measure. People hide drug addictions, affairs, plans to divorce the marriage, etc. If a woman really respects you, her not having access to your hard earned money won't be an issue in the marriage. It also proves her respect and trust for you.

• I would never have a joint primary checking account with a spouse. A secondary one, maybe.

• NO...

• I certainly wouldn't, I'd agree with you. Not sure how many people agree.

• na fuck that id like my money with me

• I would keep it separate...

• We have separate accounts and a joint account. Bills are paid off the joint account, where most of our money is pooled from each of our checks.

What Girls Said 10

• I dont think they should or shouldn't. It's a choice, and either choice is fine. My parents share theirs and they love it, so it depends on the couple.

• My parents shared joint bank accounts. I guess it depends on what works best for the couple. So really, there's no "right "or "wrong " If it works for you both then that's fine :)

• I would have a shared account. Honestly because it'd be easier for bills and keeping track of finances.

I've always excelled and enjoyed accounting and budgeting. So if he didn't want to, I'd be more than happy to keep track of everything.

Of course, he'd have access to the budgets and bills at any time he wanted to see how we were doing.

• it depends on the couple; my man and i have separate accounts, but we've used each others' debit cards many times. we share expenses equally and trust each other.

before him, though, i never shared my finances with anyone. it's just common sense.

• The way my parents did it is how I would like to do it with my husband. My mom had her own checking account. My dad had his own too. Then they had a joint account that was only for bills and food but yet they still had their own separate accounts.

• Yeah sure I wouldn't mind it

• no i grew up with both parents that shared accounts.

• My parents have a joint account. And that's the way I hope it'll be with my husband.

• I'm married and my husband and I have a joint account and our separate checking/savings accounts. The joint account is used for emergencies.

• No because men gamble women spend money at shopping