Atheists, would you marry a religious person?

I am religious and I would marry an atheist guy.

• yup
  • nope

Most Helpful Guy

• As a religious person, I would date and marry an atheist provided that she was politically right-winged. My problem with atheists isn't so much their atheism itself as much as it is that 90% of them are stereotypical liberal douches brainwashed by the American Left and political correctness. I imagine that a right-winged atheist would be awesome, since you get to avoid the pitfalls of both political affiliations.

• It is so good to see guys like you. Your parents must be proud of you.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 47

• There are two types of atheists: Atheists and Hatheists.
    Atheists just personally do not believe in any sort of higher power.
    Hatheists are the same but despise everyone and everything related to religion, and must always tell everyone they're an atheist or start a religious argument. They also have a high sense of superiority over others.

An atheist would probably be okay with dating someone religious as long as they didn't try to convert. A Hatheist would have broken up as soon as they found out.

• Yeah, that's fine, as long as we don't impose our beliefs/lack thereof on each other. It helps that I have no plans of having kids, that's where it can get dicey. But my girlfriend of 9 years is religious and I'm not, and it's no issue. She's actually Puerto Rican and her religion is essentially Santería, it's pretty out there compared to what I'm used to and standard Western religions. Like she had to go to Cuba for months to go through her initiation rituals, and she had to wear all white for like a full year. A lot of it is kind of secretive, and I know there's animal sacrifice involved, haha, which makes it sound totally fucking crazy, but it's really not, its roots are in Roman Catholicism and West African Yoruba. But it's more of a spirituality than a church-on-Sundays religion. She has a small shrine for her "Orishas" (basically patron saints) that she prays to or whatever on her own time, and the only thing I see of it is when we pass a cemetery, and she has to go silent and makes this hand gesture until we're past it, because her main Orisha is like the guardian of the dead or something. It's pretty far out shit, haha, but it's her own personal thing, it doesn't affect my life at all. I just know she has this crazy initiation dress that looks like it's for some Caribbean festival, and if she happens to die on me, I have to make sure she's buried in it. Good enough, haha. But yeah, we're for all intents and purposes married, it's just not an official thing, but it's a 9 year commitment. We've seen people get married and divorced TWICE over the duration of our relationship, so we laugh when people freak out that we aren't married😂😂😂

• The last girl I was talking to, was religious, while I'm atheist. When she told me I was like "... oh no... ok, maybe we can try, and see if we can deal with it." It wasn't possible. Though that wasn't the main reason why I told her we should stop talking, it was something that did have some effect on my decision. Sometimes when getting to know each other better, topics would come up, important topics like evolution, that we would disagree on. I can't date someone that doesn't believe in evolution, or that a god will solve their problems, instead of themselves.

I will never try to date another religious girl, cause in the long run, it's not gonna work.

• Only if they agree to not raise our kids religiously. I will have them choose when they're old enough - I will not indoctrinate them at a young age.

• Then what's the point of calling them "our" kids , if you wanna raise them like you want.

• Ikr. We'd prob argue all the time. Sigh.

• @shadiamond yea, that's how it probably would be.

• I am agnostic so I don't know if this is applicable to me but I would have no issues with a religious person so long as they respect my opinions (not that they shouldn't debate religion mind you but be respectful about it) same goes with atheist, its not the belief thats the problem its how they act and respond to others beliefs that is the issue.

• Depends how religious. I'd also have concerns about our children's education and upbringing. I have one policy - treat religion like a penis. Keep it away from me and my children. They can choose it if they want to when they grow up, but don't wave it in their face. What a lot of religious people don't realize is how much kids mimic and learn from parents and how even if the parent is not forcing their religion onto the kids, they might still influence them into the same religion. If the girl's not too religious and generally keeps it to herself, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

• There are no Atheists in foxholes. I just got home. PLEASE, no inquires from "so -called" heros or wanna be's.

• Depends how religious the girl is. If she's a fundamentalist then hell no but if she just belongs to the religion but doesn't take it too seriously then I would probably not have a problem. Most of the time it's religious people that have a problem with atheists anyway, check out this video ;).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hc1NPwXDKQ

• Yep; if she wasn't fanatical about it. If, for example, I had a flu and she tried to exorcise me, we might need to take a break.

• sure why not

• As long as she doesn't make it an issue later in the relationship it's fine. I've even gone to church just to see a girl that invited me. I was honest about my beliefs when she invited me, and she respected that but it was another way for us to meet up.

• Totally. I don't see a conceivable reason why not. Unless of course, the girl happens to be a bigot fundamentalist, but then again, I wouldn't date a bigot fundamentalist of any kind.
    All my crushes in the past have been religious, to say that I wouldn't date a religious person would be quite contradictory.

• Hopefully not.

• I guess it depends on the religion though, some religions are less bad than others.

• The thing is, you are right historically. But in modern times, the Catholics have been liberalized faster than the Protestants have, so in a strange twist, they have both gone full circle.

• @JRICHARDS1996 Interesting. Here, the Roman Catholics are still more devout.

Anyhow, I guess I can safely say that the less they follow their religion (or the less theistic they are in their world view, I guess), the better choice they are to date. Which is why islam is a NOPE

• I'm of the camp that religion and politics shouldn't have any relevance in any relationship. Keep those to yourself, base your opinions on people on who they are.
    So yeah, don't see why not.

• I would in some circumstances but I can never see it happening because the things that I value happen to be things that I've never seen a religious person be interested in so I don't think it could even work. I also am the type of person that wouldn't be able to let the religion conversation go until they hated me or said I was right because religion is one of those things that I can't understand.

• sure. i mean as long as she doesn´t force shit onto me and bothers me with her religious texts all the time, it should be fine.

• I say, what's the point of you being an atheist, if you are still close-minded to answer this question "no"

• Yea. But I couldn't respect anyone who would try to inaugurate a child into something they don't yet have the capacity to fully understand. To the conformity of moral realism.

• I think that's how some religious people feel when it comes to not raising kids religious lol.

• Sure, but my kids ain't having that religion mumbo jumbo shoved on them.

• Yeah that would not be a problem for me. Just as long as she keeps that to her self

• It depends on how religious she is. I prefer an atheist, though.

• There's just one major thing about that as an atheist. Do not try and convert me and I will not bother you about religion. It's s subject that will not be discussed. Then again I don't want to be married.

• That depends.

HOW RELIGIOUS are we talkin here?

• sure I would. it's no problem for me as long as it hasn't a huge impact on our daily life.

• as long as they are not constantly trying to convert me

• Sure... I may not share a religious woman's delusions of the divine, but I won't mind helping them find their ridiculous deity of choice, pun intended.

• no I wouldn't.

• No.

I would not change my beliefs for someone else, nor would I expect them to do the same for me, and I don't want my children raised religious, nor will I be married in a church or by a priest.

• I'm a Roman-Catholic, and I would never marry an atheist.

• When I was 9 I accepted Christ
    When I was 16 I became an atheist
    Now at 25 I'm Bach on team Jesus

So I'd date anyone

• What made you go from beeing a atheist to beeing a christian again?

• @Lynx122 I just figured my life sucks without God might as well try it again

I had some personal stuff going on and wanted gods help

• Well then you were never a atheist you just stopped practising for a while or something. A atheist, says there is no reason to believe in God since there is 0 evidence of God existing therefore the only thing that can change a atheists mind is if God were to reveal himself and prove he is allpowerful or if some real miracles started happening that could not be explained etc. If you just went back to beeing christian because your life was not going well then you never stopped putting faith above science so you were never a atheist.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 21

• I'm not an atheists. I'm just not particularly religious. When I started looking for a boyfriend a little over a year and a half ago. I was set on finding someone who was not religious. I found my current boyfriend, and we talked, and I learned that he wasn't a practicing Christian, didn't believe the bible, but thought maybe there was a God.

I learned over the last year and a half that he prayed to some God about our relationship and basically now believes there's a God in some form.

:) I take like 15% credit for turning my boyfriend to God in his times of need. Yay.

But seriously, I couldn't marry someone who was devout, because I'm not raising devout babies. It just isn't happening. I can handle what my boyfriend believes. I would marry him.

If I had said no to him for simply believing something is out there, that would have been a miss on my part because he's an angel, no pun intended :3 and science hasn't disproved a creator (s), but it's not advocating there is one.

• I wouldn't say Im an atheist I just don't follow any certain religion etc. But Yeah I would aslong as they don't force their beliefs on me and our future. I'd be willing to compromise on some things like if we ever had children and they wanted them baptized I suppose but I wouldn't be the one to go to church and I don't want my children to be brought up going to church all the time because to be it's meaningless.

• No because we would end up having a fight and it would back fire.
    -Are our kids going to church
    -Will our kids believe in God
    -will our kids go to a Christian private school or a regular evolution and "Origin og life" public school
    And so on.
    To save all that trouble And time I'll marry a Christian guy
    😜

• Maybe, as long as they didn't push that religion and me and we were both able to deal with the fact that our partner has different views.

• I would, if he doesn't pester me with religion. If he respects the fact that I don't believe in God and doesn't get all preachy, then I'll respect his belief and leave it at that.

• My experience with religious people is that they're always trying to convert you. I don't want that to be my whole life.

• I am religious but I never EVEN ask people if they believe in God or not.

• It's fine for atheists to tease religious people about religion but its not fine for religious people to ask anything to atheists (even though you don't ask anyone) @mishsheaven

• Honey, I'm agreeing with you. I'm not accusing you of anything. Relax.

• I prefer another atheist but I would absolutely marry a religious guy. It wouldn't keep me from it, but I definitely prefer someone who more closely shares me views. We can share views on other things though :)

• Depends how religious they were and if they tried to convert me to religion. They'd have to accept that there would be no way that I could believe in any God and I couldn't have them force my children into a religion. He could tell them about God and his beliefs when they're old enough to make a decision and not influenced by what their dad believes in

• I <3 this question.

• I couldn't do it. Since my views would be way to different than the religious person. So in the end both would hate talking about a lot of things with each other.

• I would not marry a religious person. Too much conflict right from the start.

• As long as he respects my views and doesn't push god nor the bible into me, then it's ok.

• depends...

• Yes just as long as they respect what I believe in and is a good person

• It depends on what religion and how far they take it. Im atheist, pro choice and have no issues at all with the gay community. I couldnt date someone who thinks everything is a "sin" and throws their beliefs down my throat.

• I'm not an atheist but I would not marry a religious guy because I'm not religious myself

• Depends on how religious they are. I dont want them to put up this accepting front and then i hear low key shade from them like i do from most religious people

• bence bu soru inançlı bir kişiye sorulmalı.

• Having Faith can be a beautiful thing esp. when you are going through stuff but I wouldn't consider that being religious when you say religious I think of someone who tries to live their life according to whatever teaching is in accordance with it and occasionally quotes it and tries to get you to embrace it too. They also have beliefs that they wouldn't necessarily have with out it and try to use it to justify those beliefs. I couldn't be with someone who doesn't question everything, at least not long term. I want to have in-depth conversations about life and all the possible meanings and possibilities, I don't want to pretend like I know the answers... where is the fun in that?

• I wouldn't marry an atheist

• no, because i wouldn't be able to take them seriously.. and it says a lot about a person if the willingly follows a religion that is misogynic