Do you think marriage should be a license that needs to be renewed every 5 years?

With the rise of marriges that end in divorce and the cost of having a divorce do you think a marriage should be a contract for x amount of years that can be renewed or be left to expire if the couple so chooses.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• That's basically the concept behind handfasting. A marriage for a year and a day, that you can just keep renewing every year. Or you can specify that it lasts 'until the love is gone', or 'until the end of our lives', or 'the end of eternity'. It's fairly flexible.

It's a more realistic approach in one sense, as it lets people have a deep, meaningful commitment, with a nice ceremony and stuff, with the understanding that sometimes people drift apart, and that's ok. And if they don't, then awesome, let's do it again.

Not for everyone, obviously, but could be very useful for younger couples, especially for those that marry before their prefrontal cortex has finished development (which doesn't happen until the late 20s), as personalities will still fluctuate and you aren't marrying the person that they will be 10 years later.

What Girls Said 2

• Nope.

• No. That seems pointless to me. Maybe offer that to people who aren't sure. But if they aren't sure, that says a lot about their relationship.

• If thats the case than half of the population was unsure on their wedding day. I think most were sure, its only years down the road that doubts come into play.

• well that's extremely sad. I would want someone who feels 100% sure about marrying me, and vice versa. Maybe that's why half the population ends up divorcing.

• I think most are 100% sure when they say death do us part. Of all my friends who married before 25 all are divorced now. They were sure. Life changes people.

What Guys Said 12

• no at all. i think that would only increase the number of divorces and people who might work on their marriage might instead just let it lapse if they're approaching 5 years and things are getting rocky

and for those who have no intention of getting a divorce why make them have to constantly renew.

a divorce should be costly so people consider whether or not divorce is truly the path they want to take

• fuck that shit, im perfectly content with having what I call a Life Partner that is basically the same shit as marriage, minus the benefits from tax, but whatever.

• No, I am really against that. Marriage should be a commitment for ever with penalties for people who break it. I find the cost of having a divorce is very very low for women, because they usually get the custody of every child, the family home and an important amount of money from their exhusbands. everybody who marries somebody needs to do everything that makes the partner happier in the relationship and I don't think that most women would perfect their relationship if they have a chance to leave it each 5 years. I think that every person who has kept their marriage should get a higher pension when they retire.

• Takes a bit of the magic out and makes it seem more corporate and like a contract, also makes the til death does us part thing weird it'd have to be til the contract expires.

• How many people have uttered "to death do us part" only to go through an expensive and nasty divorce.

• Almost half I think but It'd kind of take away the main point of problem if you make it more standard a legal contract. I don't even like the idea of a wedding and I don't ever want to get married because I just think it's a needless expense that is meaningles.

• We could. However, I think it would be pointless because people already don't seem to take marriage as seriously as they should. So, what's the point?

• Never. Why buy the cows when the milk is free? Not a single girl in this generation is marriageable. I've been in the business world. There are plenty of young 22-25 year old interns that fuck everyone. Marriage is dead and women killed it. Women aren't women anymore. They're disposable fucktoys. Watching a man get married is like watching a man buy a heavily used rental car and pretending to be happy about it.

• if anything everyone should have a common law marriage
    no license
    no certificate nothing its a big business too take peoples money
    same with drivers license

• Add it on
    More taxes will further prevent people from getting married

• Oh yeah, that's what I want to do is pay more taxes to be married...

• I don't think lawyers would like that idea...

• Sure, why not? It's not like people actually love their spouses now days. Or the person their dating for that fact. people just wanna fuck and move onto the next person when bored or cheat simply because they can. True love in the west is dead.

• Yes, I was having a similar thought the other day.