Is getting married at 25 considered 'too young' nowadays?

I'm asking because a lot of people still believe that 25 is the magical age of marriage (mostly for women) and a lot of my friends who're 24-27 say they either want to be or should've been engaged or married by 25. Also, since I'll be 25 soon, my parents often joke about a winter wedding. But nowadays it seems like most people are getting married at 40 years old! Is 25 still a good age or do you feel that it's too young?

• I believe that it's a good age
  • I believe that it's still too young

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends more on the character and values of the people getting married, rather than the age. I think marriages fail more today for a variety of reasons, and that the age of getting married isn't really a major factor in the divorce rate. One, society has become more individualistic and diverse in opinion, than it was 40 or 50 years ago. We are also more self serving and entitled as a whole, and that goes for both men and women. In the older days, and in some parts of the world still, divorce is considered a huge dishonor. They still believe in making marriages work rather than throwing it all away to find someone new. Divorces today are viewed as no big deal, and for many people it's like ordering a pizza. Financial stresses, epidemic drug addiction, cheating, alcoholism, abuse, self-centeredness, and differing cultural/ religious/political and child rearing outlooks further contribute to the higher divorce rates that we see today.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont think you can define the "right" age its different for everyone. Were all ready for different things at different times in life. Its matching that time up. Thats the trickey part.

What Guys Said 26

• Depends. A lot people have no patience and rush into things just to have them. It is best to know this person fully and also be prepared in life first before getting married. If all you are worried about it getting married by a certain age, then you are risking marrying the wrong person before you are ready. Don't worry about how old you are. Worry about being with the right person and having your life in order, (done school and working in a career)!

• definitely not too young. the average now is between 27 and 29... getting married at 25 is definitely not too young in my opinion

• A lot of people see that as too young.
    I think that that is a dumb approach. By 25, it is entirely possible that you have someone in your life, and have had them for years, that you are in love with and devoted to. Why wait?

• Consider the woman would want to have kids. It's healthier to have the first one until she's 35, for biological reasons. If you're getting married to make a family with kids, it's better to have it before this age.

Also consider younger parents vs older parents: the first may have more strength to handle the kids needs; the latter, more stable finances since the begining (usually).

I'd take from 25-30 as the best age range to get married.

• @somethingoingon assuming that one wants to travel. Most see it as a waste of time and money. Me personally, I've been to 3 different countries so far and it was no more exciting than visiting family in a different state. I think it's more exciting to say that you've travelled as opposed to actually doing it.

• get my point. if you dont travel my point still stand. its generational wisdom brought down from gneerations. cmon now!

• No, 25 is not too young as such. Seems fine if both the partners are ok with that age.

• Well biologically we should be popping out kids at 19-24, so you may as well get married at 25.

• Women, not men. You guys can have children until old age just about. It's tough for a woman to give birth to a healthy child and fast at 37, but a man can until he's 80.

• Older men cause birth defects just like older women do. By the time a man is 50 the odds of some kind of birth defect are extremely high - as in the odds are more in favor of it than against it. Unlike eggs, men produce new sperm, but their machinery gets old and doesn't produce the same quality.

• @NearlyNapping but the truth of the matter is, men have much more timing biologically than we women do. It's a fact. Men can have healthy children with younger women.

• Depends where you are - In Ireland I would say average marriage age is around 30

• Well that's not too far off of 25, but I'll be 25 in less than a month so looks like I'll be older lol

• It all depends. My brother 18 and he's married to his girlfriend and has a son. I was almost engaged once too never marry anyone you don't truest or haven't know long. age does not matter how u feel about them does

• I personally think getting married before 30 is too early, if people want kids then they would presumably want to get married earlier but I think the earlier you marry the higher chance of the relationship failing.

• I agree. However, you as a man can have kids until you're 80 lol. That is why some men will marry younger women.

• Age is a just a number, but I lean towards too young not because of the age because most people at 25 nowadays don't even know who they are yet or found their identity yet. Knowing who you are and having the wisdom to find the person that suits who you are and where you want to take your life is much more important than age.

• I wouldn't really call 25 to young to marry. Hopefully, they have more experience with the world than say, 18 year-olds. I think people would at least be mature enough by that age, even if the ins-and-outs of marriage are not known.

• i was married at 20 but that was over 20 years ago

• Yeah you should wait until 68 us humans can live for at least 300 years 25 is too young.

• I think it's too young honestly. I think 30s are the best age to get married.

• you get married when you can afford the responsibilities of marriage

• acceptable age to marry

• I believe it's a good age.

• its too young

• Honestly that's a first. I feel nowadays it's a tad bit on the young side.

• travel, make money, i will tell my kids if i have any to casualy date until 25 and dont give your hearts too much.

my regret was i committed to easily and missed out on experiencing shit load of girls when i was in my teen and adolescent ages

• 25 isn't considered your teens. You should've did that when you were in your teens if it meant so much to you lol.

• early 20s is adolescence and uve been dating sknce then to marry at 25. 25 ks young for marriagr

• To each it's own. I always wanted to be at least engaged by 25, but I'll be 25 in two weeks and I'm just starting a new relationship. I don't care, I'm going at my pace.

• there isn't a chance in hell im getting married any time soon. Not until my mid 30's, if then...

• Why is that?

• To each it's own. Biologically, you're a man. You don't have to worry about fertility issues and birthing babies at 40. It's probably ideal for a man to wait, sow his oats and marry at 35. It's not exactly ideal for everyone.

• there's a lot of options today for people who want kids at an older age, although i would argue that 35 is a perfectly fine age to have kids biologically. As a matter of fact, most babies born when the woman is in her mid to late 30's comes out perfectly fine

• That's around the she I want kids

• Nope

• That is a good age for women. But as a man I don't want marriage until I am 30.

• I hear this a lot. That's why in some cultures men marry younger women.

• What I've realised is that since the end of the naughtiest people have started getting married later in their 20's and having kids when they're 28-33 when it used to be people getting married early to mid twenties and having kids in their mid to late twenties. Just times changing I guess.

• I don't think it's too young. But age does matter in marriage because it links to maturity and how far you've made it in life already. Right now your still not fully developed.
    I will say 50% of marriages fail. Therefore the Younger you do the the more likely because of the experience. At 25 you will have the perception that u can do better whether consciously or subconsciously. After 30 people know they need to stay in the marriage because they can't level up. In other words don't take eachother for granted and think your the catch. Always think the other person is above you're league and you're relationship will survive.
    Like I said age matters but maturity more so. If I was an investor I would bet on you're marriage ending in divorce.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• I don't think 25 is too young to get married. I hope I'm married by that age. Of course, it also depends on the individual. Some people don't want to get married in their early 20's because they want to get well established in their careers first. Different people have different priorities and that's okay.

• I hope to be married before 25. I'm thinking 24 lol

But... half my high school class is married right now. They've been getting married since they were 17. So being 22 and unmarried by me is unusual lol

• 25 is probably the youngest I'd say is appropriate to get married. Ideal is late twenties early thirtiesm

• I agree with you. Anything before that is still in college. See most of my friends are still graduating between 23-26.

• Not just that but people change a lot in their early and even mid twenties. Core personality and values largely stay the same but when it comes to some of the big stuff, like what you want in life, most people go through some really big changes. People who rush into marriage at a young age tend to feel trapped when they hit their late twenties and end up getting divorced when they realize the life they have isn't the one they want.

• Nowadays at 25 you're still in college with no stable job, how to get married in circumstances like that? @.@

• That's true. I just got my BA when I turned 24. It's still taking me time to get settled into my career.

• No, I think 25 is a good age to be married. When I was younger, I always said that I wanted to be married by 25.

• I can't tell you what's a good age for you. I got married at the age of 21 and I never thought I would get married that young, but when it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Don't let someone you love dearly get away because you're concerned about being too young.

• When you know, you know. :)

• I'm getting married at 23 so I think it's fine

• It doesn't matter as long as y'all are both in love and can handle all the hardships that come with being married

• 25 is the perfect starting age in my opinion

• I believe that it's a good age. My cousin married her husband at 25. If you want to have children, better get married before 30.

• If you're with someone you can see spending the rest of your life with and would be a good parent if you want kids, it's a good age. If you aren't with that person - it's better to take a little time to find him or her rather than rush to marry the first person you think you could swing.