How much to spend on an engagement ring?

And before anyone says it's the thought that counts... That's not a number. Of course it's the thought that counts, that's why you're getting engaged ;)
how much do you think/ or would you spend on an engagement ring.
If you've bought/ recieved one how much did it cost?
Convention and the Internet say men need to spend 2 to 3 months salary on a ring to show they have spent time thinking and saving up for this purchase to present their beloved something they labored for. Not just something they bought cheap the day before at a store closing sale.
I bought myself a ring (long story, horrible guy, I was young and we never married)
it was about 500£ or 1000$ at the time
currently I'm engaged and we wear silicone rings for working out that cost about 20$ each :P
but if we are going by the 3 months my guy should spend about 15,000$ which just seems crazy to me. Not when we have other things we need to buy for our life together
it's been in the news lately- women with small rings fighting back saying they don't mean less because they are smaller.
So thus the question :)

• Under 1000$
  • 1000$-3000$
  • 3000$-6000$
  • 6000$-10000$
  • 10000-more
  • Whatever you can afford

Most Helpful Guy

• I spent about $5700... i think. maybe $6k

it certainly is about a dollar figure but it's just about what you can afford, are willing to spend and your own personal feelings.

me personally i make a good living and so what i spent was definitely not out of range of what i can afford. additionally I know the person who made my ring so i got an incredible discount and he built me a beautiful ring

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally am not a fan at all of this tradition to drop a ton of $$$ on a rock. There's so many better things to spend that money on.. I told my guy that I'd be totally cool with him getting an Amaro gem, which is still super nice, it's just not a real diamond. WHICH by the way, the high price for diamonds is ONLY cause by restricting supply on the manufacturing side. Diamonds aren't rare whatsoever in nature. Sorry, rant. But basically I'd much rather spend the money on a nice honeymoon/vacation/dinner. So the low low thousands is the most I'd be okay with my guy spending on a ring.

What Guys Said 8

• It's whatever you can afford.

Generally around 15-20% of your yearly salary. That's about the threshold most people can save up for a year without lowering their quality of life (aka totally disposable income).

I'm looking around for something between 5-10k. I'll pay the higher end if the ring is spectacular.

• I would suggest looking for vintage or antique :) you can get twice the carat and craftsmanship for less than new.
      Some people are superstitious but I figure someone else gave this ring with love, how could it be bad? :P
      For 8-10 you could get about 2 carats of something eye clean in plat on eBay :)

• Yeah, I've been looking at vintage, you're right you do get better value.

Might even push it out there and get her a necklace instead, to me seems more wearable than a ring. We do formal functions quite often and I think she'd feel like a queen wearing a nice necklace to go with her dresses.

• That would be lovely!!! And just a simple band would be really cool for her I think

• i honestly dont see the point in an expensive engagement ring. A couple of months later you will get a wedding ring. It really is just a promise, its an idea. I would spend a lot on a wedding ring but i dont see the point of engagements rings so i would go pretty cheap with them.

• I have actually heard that before, getting an engagement band and then a big wedding rock :)

• I honestly don't believe in rings or any of that nonsense. Love isn't about a ring or a number... or at least it shouldn't be. I wouldn't care about or need a ring to be with someone but I know most girls aren't of the same opinion. So I guess the best answer is whatever someone could afford.

• What is it with women and wanting these insanely expensive engagement rings

Like damn, you're just gonna replace it soon with the wedding ring anyways

• I voted C, but I guess I'll do B after seeing results xD

• whatever you can afford. dude has a good woman.

• I spent almost $2000 on a ring that met my girlfriend's criteria (1/2 carat diamond). She originally said that a $550 birthstone ring (with meaning behind the stone) was great, then suddenly wanted a diamond.

We broke up three months later. Not solely for that, but that was one of the straws that broke the camel's back. I felt that it was ridiculous to pay that much for a worthless piece of rock (diamonds are kept artificially rare by the diamond companies) just so she could show her bling to everyone.

• It's all a fraud. It really is. Diamonds are actually incredibly common mineral. They are only ridiculously high priced because De Beers has a monopoly on it so they say that they are rare and jack up the price.(They have diamond supplies that will last them forever) Honestly if prices were based off how limited a mineral was diamonds would be one of the cheapest things you could buy.

• I'm saying this because most engagement rings have a diamond on them.

• Yeah my birthstone is diamond but I always kinda felt it was boring. I want an emerald

What Girls Said 9

• burnabrain.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...otivational.jpg
    some women want to wear the price of a car on their finger

• Nahhh that's just crazy to me, I prefer antique jewelry anyway :P

• My husband spent almost $2000 dollars on the engagement ring and band.

• Whatever you can afford. Perferably below budget. its the thought. Thats wut counts

• 3 months salary. not sure if people still do that.

• It depends on how money you have to spend. Find something you like first and then look at the price. But I'd also say nothing less than $1000

• go and choose together

• I'm thinking about cutting off a little piece of conduit and calling it good.

• the more i can

• Buy the very best of whatever you can afford. After all, you have to wear that ring for the rest of your life, you want to like it.