What do you think about intercultural marriages?

PS: I'm talking about cultures and not religion or race.
Would you do it? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

For a long time I thought I would only marry someone from my culture but now I think that it can be very exciting and intersting to be with someone from another culture , but it has lots of obstacles (for example which culture would the kids belong to and is it confusing to be part of 2 different cultures?).

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not confusing at all to be part of two cultures, it's actually more fun! Those of us kids brought up on two (or more) have a far easier time involving ourselves in either one.

An advantage is that you get to experience something new, and usually people in multicultural relationships have a much more balanced view on life. You realise just because someone see's it differently doesn't necessarily make it wrong. A disadvantage is that the culture shock can be too great for most people. Your partner's culture might do things you are seriously against, and if you simply criticise instead of trying to understand it, the relationship simply won't work. It really takes an open mind (especially to marry).

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 29

• I think that they can work if both people don't act in an ethnocentric way. If you learn about the other culture and learn how to accept it, then it can really be an interesting marriage.

• There's some appeal to that, not gonna lie.

Now, a big part of that is because I live in southern California, and the values tend to be more materialistic here -- something I dislike pretty strongly. (I'm speaking generally here, of course)

Anyway, I'm sure that this is true of many countries, but one of the nice things about the U. S. is that we've got like 9874688188 different subcultures. I can cross state lines and be exposed to cultures that are shockingly different from the ones I'm accustomed to.

• I married a girl from the Philippines. I did it because I love her and her culture. It can make for great stories because of some of your differences and how you overcame them to succeed. We're married 14 years in a few weeks!!

• i think it's one of the best way for our world to progress to a more accepting world

• In any inter marriage there will be pros and cons - Sometimes a clash other times a blend - As for kids a lot depends where and how there is raised, there will be a dominant culture due to circumstances and decisions but the other culture should be maintained and represented in the childrens' lives.

• Intercultural are actually quite satisfying and there isn't much disadvantage. Kids can learn both, one, or their choice. Its really not an issue most of the times. It's only confusing when the parents (the couple) are making it confusing.

Interracial marriages are a little more complicated but religion and race should always be taken out of the picture. No one should be influenced to believe you cannot marry someone because the house of god would not allow it. That core thinking feels so wrong to pit people against each other

• I think intercultural relationships are a great thing actually, it provides obstacles to get across and things to learn from both parties. As for what culture your kids belong to well that's a bit easier then religion you can teach them about both, maybe they'll choose one over the other or maybe they'll go down their own path or they maybe a child of two cultures.

• It's not problem, but I'm from the USA were we have a mix mash of different cultures, religions, races, etc. People come here from all over the world and tend to leave behind strict cultural doctrines in favor of freedom to choose. There is a common assimilation to American culture, however you wish to loosely define that but we all have our own roots. I think that marrying someone from another culture so long as they aren't too attached to it can be interesting. If you have a live and let live attitude it can add to the relationship. If you feel you have a need to convert them to your culture and indoctrination the children to a specific culture rather than letting them acquire their own cultural freedom, then obviously you're setting yourself up for a battle.

• I don't see any advantage personally. I like my culture the way it is and I'd like to pass that on to my children and preserve it. I actually think all this mixing destroys diversity and turns everything into one big monoculture.

• I think it's a great idea, I like knowing other cultures, there's nothing wrong with it in my mind.

• I'm ok with it as long as she isn't extremely religious.

• Well first of all It shouldn't be complicated. If there is tolerance and respect in the relationship those cultural differences should be more likely appreciated and not an object of rejection or discrimination. The kids as a result of those types of relations don't have the obligation to decide to be attached to one culture over the other, at the end of the day those two cultures are part of the legacy they have.

• I think that often they're difficult because of religious or cultural differences, you really need to have long discussions about all possible tricky aspects...
    But I'm certainly not against them and I'm convinced they can work :D

• It is very troublesome they often have different beliefs and some of which may be unacceptable. Like my girlfriend and friends who are native American they always cancel plans and often reply with short replies or ignore me then expect me to jump for them when they need me

• I am up for it if you are willing to give a try..

www.jucoolimages.com/.../marry_me_11.gif

• Ya totally

• I don't care about cultures, religion or race
    A girlfriend who's awesome and loves me is sufficient for me
    Though it's hard to find
    And kids can choose whatever they want

• One of you will have to turn their back on their own culture and embrace the other one, That's the only way it will remotely work.
    Life is not a fairy tale, It's better going into things knowing that rather than learning it the hard way.

• Like all "Inter" type marriages, they fail more often. Different values is a key issue for these types of marriages.

• if there happy together who cares what anyone thinks.

• It can be confucing but probably more to you then the kds because they don 't know anything else

I think you are rigt it will be intresting

by the way maybe you can consider a dutch ;-)

• definitely open to do it

• Sounds fun for awhile but eventually you run into conflict if the cultures are too different.

• It's the hard obstacles that makes things worth it towards the end.

• It's cool and you can learn tons.

• HIGH RISK.

• At the end of the day, it will not work. History has proven that

• How did it? My country is actually the fruit of intermarriage between Amazighs and Arabs...

• That is close, culturally speaking. But lets say Tunisian and American, no way!

• Not really that close tbh, different traditions , food, culture and different languages...
      I have 2 uncles married to a French woman, one to a Japanese woman, a cousin married to a phillipina a cousin married to a French guy , an uncle to a Spanish lady... And they all have been married for over 10 years.

• Well it would be interesting, But stay away from the Jewish folks with Zionist mentality...
    They will treat you as an inferior lowlife for the rest of your life...

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 24

• I was almost marrying a Zoroastrian boy. My mother married a Christian man. Our main practice is endogamy but we are still okay with it, though it depends entirely on the culture.

Personally as a person who spent a part of her life between different cultures, I think it's too hard for most children, not good if the cultures are not similar, and it's unnecessary. My own daughter will be better off marrying a Jewish man or a Christian man.

I myself was a child in between two cultures. I chose Christianity as my religion when I was a child but I was grown up closer to my mother, culturally. In intercultural marriages cultures can get mixed if they are similar. The culture I have now is a mixed of Bavarian conservative culture and Jewish conservative culture. They are close, except the Jewish culture is superior in many aspects. That is why I prefer it.

On the whole, I'm not a fan of mixing too many cultures. 2 is not bad. 3 is more than enough, and if they are already close. Mixing too many cultures will cause a lack of culture instead of making a richer mixed culture. It's like voluntary deculturalization, like suicide.

Most of the people nowadays that are too open to intercultural marriages are mildly deculturalized. They don't have a culture and strong cultural standards of their own to care about. So they are open to embrace anything in the name of love.

• I'm all for it.
    My boyfriend is Chinese and after spending a lot of time with his family and meeting many of his aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., I don't see why not. I used to think it would be tough to (one day) marry into a culture other than my own but I've yet to see anything other than extreme hospitality and friendliness.

I don't see why it would be confusing for children to be raised in two different cultures, either. I mean, I was raised in a way in which I had a very Polish culture at home, then at school and with friends I was more culturally Canadian.
    I turned out just fine. :P

• I would be happy to be in one but I feel like lots of people don't want to break their bubble of what they're used to and what they expect and it can prevent people from dating me. I am always interested in learning new things though and find it stimulating when I'm not exactly the same as the person I'm dating.

• I'm married to someone of a different culture. The positives are new ways of looking at things, different food, music styles etc.
    But the cons are not having similar traditions and beliefs, lack of understanding, conflicting ways of life, communication problems.
    Honestly I don't recommend it.

• That's fine. It can be very interesting and if it's serious - - - adapting to each culture when in their parent's house or country is no big deal. It can be new and exciting, but also a learning process.

• I don't see a problem with them.
    Neither my family does, since nationality wise I'm very mixed. 😂 However, I think a lot of (since I don't know my ancestry 100%) cultures have been lost through generations.

• I would prefer them over taking the same shit

• I'm dating a dude from another country. It's really interesting learning about what he see's in his country, things they do, his language etc.

• it depends on the cultures. some might be similar, so it wouldn't be that much of a change... in my community, there is a lot of resistance against intercultural marriages, very much frowned upon. interreligious marriages are even worse.

• I think it can be interesting, specially since I like the "newness" feeling.

But in the long run, depending on what kind of guy he is , it may turn out good or bad.
    I am always saying I will marry someone from different culture but I realized I am more comfortable with my culture. If I don't see some parts of it, I feel homesick, and just so uncomfortable.

• sometimes i think it would be exciting and different, a nice escape from cultural pressure and all... but i honestly dont think it can work if you come from a traditional family unless they are happy with the person or unless you are ready to give up your relationship with your family.

• Other than constant arguing over how to raise your children and what's important in life and what's morally right or wrong and what style of food to have for dinner, nothing at all.

As the daughter of a proud Irishman and an even prouder Colombian, let's just say it wasn't The best of environments when they squared off, which was over everything.

• i wouldn't do it personally, it takes a lot of energy to overcome cultural differences but i see how it would be a fun ride to intimately know someone else culture and all.

• i already did
    i think it depends on the couple themselves
    they got to be open minded to that cultural changes in the other partner.

• It probably won't work well if there are vast differences.

• I like it and I think it makes you and the kids more adaptable, therefore smarter.

• Seems to be against nearly every religion to marry outside of their religion

• it can be confusing.
    i would be open to the idea.

• If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here :)

• As long as he is American I am fine with dating outside of my culture

• I'm a black female and my husband is white.

• Would love to.. but my mom might kill me before i get married😂

• Sure why not

1 private opinion(s)