What do you think about polygamy?

Well here's my position: I believe that everyone should have the right to live with and have children with whoever they want, as for how or even if the marriages should be recognized legally is another issue. You have to understand that even though recently he FLDS has gotten a lot of coverage, they are a CULT, so of course there will be a lot of abuse of power involved. There are polygamists who have happy lives so I don't think it is just to conclude that polygamy=abuse, or outlaw it.

Most Helpful Girl

• There's kind of two levels to my opinion about ploygamy- how I feel about it existing in society and what I would personally choose. Personally- not really for me, I'm not even very good at liking 2 guys at the same time let alone actually managing to be involved with two at the same time. And, I don't really want to be with a guy who has a bunch of other girls on the go as well, it just bugs me. So bascially, I'm a monogamist in my life choices and plan to continue that way.

But, the way I personally feel doesn't hold true with society. Kind of like being heterosexual- I don't want to be with women, but I don't care if some men/women want to be same sex couples,why not? I agree with you about FLDS- I read some personal accounts of it that were absolutely horrific, but again, it's a cult rather than a lifestyle choice. They're ONE group of people within a whole subculture and it's a bit unfair to paint them all with the same brush. You're right, there ARE some ploygamists who live pretty happy, normal lives outside of their multiple partners. And, I don't see a reason to outlaw it (because it really never goes away), but we should introduce some regulations if we're going to allow it, to protect people from abuse. Your current spouse(s) should have to be a witness or sign an affidavit saying he/she gives permission for the marriage. Also, the same minimum marriage age should apply, and if the children are under 18 being permitted by their parents, it should be ensured there's no coercion or abuse there. If you did that, I would not have any problems with ploygamy as a lfiestyle choice although I would still object to FLDS...

• Good thoughts I defintiely agree, ona an interesting note I reada book by a police officer who is also an ex-polygamist who argues that decriminalizing polygamy would actually allow abuse to be more easily dealt with because families would not live in a secretive subculture.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm a monogamist. I don't believe in polygamy. It just allows guys to go and f*ck around and not be responsible or responsible enough. It also poses a sanitary and hiegenic concern to the women involved-it would be endangering my health if I knew my guy is a polygamist.

Furthermore, it is a lack of respect to all partners hence the term 'f*cking around, not caring enough about the kids, letting other guys or fellow polygamists also f*ck their wives. and most of these cults use underage girls . that is why I'm against this bullsh*t. I'm pretty black & white and 100% against child molestation/ 'polygamy'

• Some women and children are happy living in polygamy though, shouldnt hey have a right to engage in it if they wish?

• I'm all about monogamy...

• Well yea that's what I think is best but I think people should live anyway they want 2

What Guys Said 2

• Morally, I think people should have a right to choose a living arrangement that suits the individuals. The assumption here is that all individual have a "choice." In the case of polygamy, there is a likely chance that some of the wives may not have had the "choice."

Legally, I say no way. It's the same argument I would use against gay marriage. Under the law, a marriage contract is a legal contract between a man and a woman, not a man and many women. Changing the scope of the marriage contract would be legal nightmare with all kinds of unforeseen costs and burdens.

On moral grounds, I say live and let live. On legal grounds, I say come up with a separate contract for the individuals involved in the polygamous relationship but don't try to stick a polygamous arrangement under the traditional marriage contract.

Personally, for myself, I would never choose polygamy.

• i agree polygamy and Mormonism unrelated. personally I could only handle one girl, guys who have 3 4 gfs I just couldn't do it. not just morally but energy wise...i guess that means you're a pretty lucky girl if you end up with me. What I see it as is the relationship is less based on communication and more on household roles. It seems as everyone is being a wife as a job, not as a intimate relationship. To each there own, as long as you stay aware my wife.

• Is hould point out that the LDS Church does not patce polygamy, its only a few cults, and some polygamists are not invovled ina group and have happy families.