Are fewer women taking their husband's last name?

Is it for individuality or "a slap in the face" to their man? Are you robbing a man of something inside of him if you don't take his last name?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, yeah. A lot of women now are making their own name for themselves and it's more convenient to keep that name, and a lot of people just don't wanna change such a basic part of themselves.

What Guys Said 28

• Many women are in professional careers when they marry so they keep it for that reason. Especially if their career involves having clients who deal with them and might need to find them after time and need that same name to find, such as doctors and counselors.

• Perhaps, and it would be because of the independence, chivalry is dead thing. Just like how women tend to open doors for their male friends more now, because they wanna show they're "capable".
    Like, we FUCKING KNOW you're capable, we just wanna be a gentleman!

• I don't know what world you live in but women tend to shut the door in men faces than leave it open for them.

• @redeyemindtricks Well about those corporate campuses, that could be true, but I have no idea, 'cause we don't have things like that in the Netherlands...

• @Rick1998 @redeyemindtricks wow you guys are so fucking nitpicky about examples.
      For instance, if there are two sets of doors to go through, I'll open the first one, and my female friends will run to open the second one so they can... be equal? Seriously it doesn't seem "casual" or normal at all it seems forced.

• I think you see it more due to women having more careers. It could hurt them to change their name, so many keep it. I don't think it is as such a feminist thing as some people make it out to be, and more practice.

I have pretty much accepted that my future wife will likely keep her last name because I like hard working ladies. I could care less about her, but the kids get my name- no hyphen.

• Yes, there's less women taking their husband's last name, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with a slap in the face.

• I would take it as a slap in the face. absolutely.

• I'd assume this is the case. I remember an article that was about men taking their wives last name more often. I know it's extremely rare, maybe even illegal in some countries but in my country (Finland) for some reason this has become a bit more common.

• Yes, and that is a great trend that should definitely continue. You're also "robbing" a woman of "something inside of [her]" when you don't take her last name.

• For me if a woman refuses to take her husbands last name that shows her lack of commitment and I would call it off. Then maybe she might want our kids to have her name or hyphened it on and on. My wife was considering keeping her last name right up to the big wedding she had planned and I told her basically if he didn't take my name I walk. Its about commitment.

• A last name doesn't prove commitment.

• I disagree.

• @kisnome you are allowed to lol

• I haven't noticed much difference in that. I think most are still probably taking the husband's name.

• A lot of women are keeping their name, especially if they are a professional and their license is in that name.

• i would take it as a slap in the face. id even call off the wedding.

• She'd be taking my last name or she wouldn't be getting married. No time for modern day idiots trying to revolutionise the world it was fine before.

• If you don't take my name we aren't getting married. Firstly I don't even beljve in marriage so if we are. going to do this were doing this the right way.

I'm a traditional type guy. I love the Cinderella story I believe in the Cinderella story

• It's a social custom and it's not taking rights away or belittling despite what feminists may say,

• They shouldn't have to take their husband's name...

• It's not in our culture to do so , this is actually hated to do so

• It's their freedom and right if they do not want to take their husband's last name.

• I don't care what she does with her name.

• I'd like to ask an honest question... Why oh why would my wife insist to take my last name?

• I would probably prefer if the two of us had 2 surnames.

• some women are not interested in a man's name. but in taking half of his stuff.

• Good question.

• BECAUSE THEY LISTENED!

• I hate feminism, period!

• bitches lol

• definite slap in the face... Not taking my name would be a deal breaker for me.

• Why's that?

• Why should she lose her identity just because she's married?

• Tradition. Woman takes the man's name, so any male heirs continue the family line.

• I don't think that it's the case. Whatever it is but it's definitely not "a slap in the face". Also, why does the last name even matter? Changing last name shows what? Nothing!
    If you want to change it... then change it and if you don't want to then... don't! Simple as that.

Also, not changing last name would save you from little paperwork :P

• Thanks to feminism. Women want to be the dominant leader in the relationship and don't like the idea of being supportive figure in household. Many women think that taking a husbands last name is degrading, similar to being a house wife.

What Girls Said 18

• I don't think so, I took my husbands last name because I was proud to. I've been a part of his family nearly as long as I have bee my own. We met when we were 5 and 6 years old, we've been inseparable since, I love his parents just like my own and likewise with him. For me it was never a carrying on of my maiden name, I have two brothers who will do that. It is about me and him being a couple with our own identity, which one aspect just happens to be his, now our last name. I never even gave a hyphenated last name a thought, guess I'm too traditional. On the flip side, I don't think he would have given it a second thought if I retained my maiden name, it's so common now.

• I hope so, I mean what's the big deal about the man's last name anyway? Like why do men think their last name is more important/valuable?
    Why can't they just take the woman's last name?
    There's nothing more irrelevant than a freaking name tbh.
    Honestly if my future partner has a last name that sounds shitty in general or shitty with my first & middle name I will never ever take their name, I don't care if they go cry about it to their momma I won't. Men gotta deal with the fact that it's not all about them anymore.

• I haven't taken my husband's yet since my parents don't know.
    However if I had gotten married later in life, after I became established as a therapist I would have kept my name due to the reputation attached to it. If I'm already known as an awesome therapist why would I change my name and risk people not realizing that I'm the same person. It could cause a loss of potential clients because they'd be like who the f is blah blah but if I keep my same name then they would have the consistency of Doctor so and so being awesome

• I don't know which question your poll is supposed to answer. But why should a woman take her husband's last Name anyway? So she can be one of his possession? Get rid of HER individuality and identity that she grew up with and just become a part of her husband's? What a stupid "rule". Who ever made that rule up, is so old-fashioned and is no longer current today and that's what many women are Starting to realise now

• I didn't notice this. I would take it as a slap in the face if he tried to make me take his last name... I can hyphenate, but never erase my name.

• I think its just tradition to take the man's last name. Even though I love my last name, I still would want to take my future husband's more becasue its just want I want to do and I want to keep that tradition alive in my family. However, times are slowly changing and more women in todays age are keeping their last name. It doesn't mean its a slap in the face for the man, its just a preference.

• i dont think its a big deal. its not a slap in the face. if i get married, i have no problem taking his last name if i like it. but i love my last name so if his isn't as good, i'll either have 2 last names now or keep my own.

• It isn't even a thing in my culture to begin with, so No...

• media.giphy.com/media/26AHvB9CWQ1YzHY1W/giphy.gif

It's considered weird not to take your husbands name here.

• fuck marriage

• I have noticed that but when I get married next year I'm going to be honored to have his last name.

• why won t he take my last name?

• Yea. I don't plan on taking my husband's last name. The only compromise I will accept is if we decide to choose a different last name and both of us change our last name to that one.

• i don't think there's more, a ton of cultures just don't do that... nor have they ever done that

• I dont know. . But I wouldn't take my husband's name

• I think at least half of us took/will take our husbands last name.

• Lol who cares

• I don't know anyone who has done this, but I don't see why it matters so much either way. A name is the least of a couple's worries.