How can a CHRISTIAN Woman marry a MUSLIM Man?

So my boyfriend last night asked me if i'd marry him, he's muslim and i'm christian. So I was thinking how can a couple marry if they're different religions? I didn't know what to say even though I knew I wanted to marry him it was just the question above that bothered me. HELP? I know muslim men can marry christian and jewish women as long as they're believers of the book, but how can we MARRY? Please help?

Most Helpful Guy

• dude i live with muslims in a place with muslim majority and iam christain , usually if a muslim marries a christian girl or vice versa it happens by force and leads to fights between the families, shootings and burning houses... etc

He might seem like a cool guy now and some are but when you actually do it and things become serious you will not like the results you will be pressured to convert even if they never force you, you're 20 and he's probably around your age, still naive and lovey dovey both of you have no idea whats going on you just know its "love " yeah i've seen it happen before it turns out to be a huge mistake, westerners can never get used to that kind of life they have their own rules and traditions that you will get sick of after a while.

My point is : you're both naive and you're not thinking with your brain , and you will probably regret it in the long run, it happened, happens and will keep happening.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a major misconception about Islam. A Muslim man is not allowed to marry just any Christian or Jewish women. The man must be a devout Muslim himself and his end goal is to help his Christian or Jewish wife become Muslim though he cannot force her. The woman must be chaste and willing to look for guidance herself and cannot teach his children Christian beliefs either. His children must be Muslim. Even though Islam allows these types of Christians and Jews to marry Muslim men it is still seen as abhorrent and extremely discouraged because of how it might turn out in the future for the both of them. There's too many differences in the religion which can affect compatibility, your families and your children in the future. There really is no compulsion in the religion.
    Before asking random people on here this question please check this link https://islamqa.info/en/20227 I suggest you search up other related questions about that on there. But from the question it looks like you both don't seem to be practicing (no offense) because a Muslim man is not allowed to have a girlfriend or sexual relations outside of marriage at all. You also seem very young to take a huge step like that.
    Before making a huge decision like that do your research about it. The honeymoon phase will pass but once reality starts it may not end well.
    Source: I've seen how these marriages have turned out very rare it was successful.

What Guys Said 16

• it's simple really, don't let your religion define every aspect of your life.

• Ask yourself: Do you really want to become a Muslim wife in a Muslim family? Because if you marry this guy you're going to be expected to convert.

• Ummm you two never thought his out until now. . . .

• He never mentioned it but i'm just wondering

• I don't know about Christian and Muslims but I had a friend that married and they had separate religions. They had a traditional wedding for both then they just got married court house and had a reception for mostly their less traditional family and their friends.

• If she's retarded, she can.

• Well if both of you weren't that religious then this shouldn't be a problem. If both of you are religious then you should've thought this through before dating so long.

If you're simply asking the question like it is. Then you guys can just get a court marriage with signing some papers, instead of rituals.

• Its only a problem if you make it a problem. In my country Muslims marry Christians, Christians marry Hindus and its no big deal. My sis married a Muslim guy and my brother marry a Hindu woman. Its all about respect and giving eachother space.

• which country are you from?

I assume, India...

• @HookingSwan come for Carnival , you'll have a blast

• I'd like to :)

• They are not equally yoked it would never work out

• Yes you can marry , hmm how? You get married in the mosque and church so the marriage will be right in both relgion then you go to a governmental place to write it down ( check that in your country it differs )

• It's allowable under Islamic law, but the children must be raised Muslim.

• May be i sound weird here but I think that the only criteria of marriage is "Fuck", and if you can do it, you are fulfilling the criteria! in otherwords, if you can reproduce, you are eligible..

• Oh, you can, as long as you stop being Christian and you start being Muslim instead.

• it is not how it works lol

muslim men can marry christian and jewish women, without them having to convert to islam

Id advise u to check ur facts 1st...

• @HookingSwan I am not trying to start a debate. I was just talking about the Islamic point of view from the Quran, Hadith and the Muslim scholars. I also speak from experience having friends and family in that type of marriage where the Christian women did eventually convert by their own choice. If you do your research in depth you will see it's not encouraged for a Muslim man to do this marriage and its upon a Muslim man to raise his family in Islam. How is it wrong for a muslim man to raise his children Muslim? never did I say he can force.

But don't get me wrong This may seem wrong to you but that is an Islamic view which differs from yours.
      In the end whatever you two do is your choice. If he's not practicing then it doesn't matter anyways. You guys just need to agree how to handle it in the future and if both your families agree to this marriage. Think and plan before taking a huge step. Lots of compromises will be made on both parts.

• @Desertraiiin

Ok, thanks for the advice

• Why were you seeing someone whose values you thought didn't match your own?

• It depends on how much the both of you are religious. If you are very religious then you simply can't, 'cause how the hell are you going to marry in the first place? Otherwise you can have a civil marriage and your religions won't bother that much ^^

• Have seen this too often and the serious advice is DON'T DO IT!!!

• You can have two wedding ceremonies or just one but how important is religion to you and to him?

• If you're honest about this question, please do not marry at all.

What Girls Said 11

• My grandma was Christian and my grandpa is Muslim. But what I dont understand is, do u mean the same ceremony or u mean about the beliefs and culture and all those things?

• Was your grandma expected to convert once she married your grandad?

• Not at all, my grandpa never forced her to do anything nor did he tell her to convert. Everything she did was from her own will not coz she was forced :)

• If you are Christian or Jewish , you can marry him without converting.
    Source: I'm Muslim.

• but it doesn't work the other way around, right?

• I have another question for you: How can you have a relationship with him in the first place?

• yeah she can, it's allowed in islam. might not be the best choice unless you plan on raising ur kids muslim..

• well, what people usually do in these cases is educate them about both religions and let the children decide when they are of age

• @HookingSwan sure, i haven't seen that happen with anyone i know but it could work

• My aunt was in the same situation. She still got married, he keeps his religion and she keeps hers too.

• A conversation you'd have to have before hand and get into writing is how you would raise your kids.

• I know a catholic married a muslim man. It seemed to work out fine.

• It's totally fine, you can marry him based on his religion, and the Islamic rituals and policy. My personal opinion, If you truly love each other, who cares about religion.

• You go to city hall and get a license? Or elope?

• I am muslim. This is Not a sin. A muslim man can Marry with Christian woman

• Muslim men are allowed to marry women of other religions as long as the children follow islam. It's not possible the other way though...