Do you think prenups are a good way to determine a person's commitment towards marriage?

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Guy

• It can be. For example any woman that has ever claimed that a prenup is insulting and unromantic is basically a gold digger looking to make a profit on her way out. Funny how rich women, never think prenups are insulting or unromantic. lol Any sensible person will protect themselves.

It is like wanting to get medical insurance. it doesn't mean you are planning on getting sick or neglecting your health, but you want some insurance in case things do go bad. If someone has a problem with you protecting yourself, then they clearly don't have your best interests at heart.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I think it's more indicative of their willingness to protect their assets. I want a prenup if and when I ever get married. That doesn't mean that I'm envisioning my divorce. Actually, I want to be able to ensure that my partner will never try to force me to use my money by claiming that it belongs to him after our marriage.

I was left a sizable trust fund that I intend to use as a retirement and contingency fund for myself. I don't want to be forced to dip into this every single time that he wants a new sports car.

What Guys Said 15

• i don't think it determines a level of commitment.

people usually look at it one of two ways

prenup means they don't trust their partner enough to take them for all they have

prenup means they don't care about getting one because the assets don't matter to them, only the partner does

so it's all within your own perspective of how you want to look at it

• Yes it would weed out those that are in it for the relationship v/s gold diggers

• Prenups are a good way to not get more fucked if things get fucked.

• I've heard they can be thrown out/overruled by a judge quite easily so I'm not sure if they really offer that much protection.

• Even two happily in love people should take precautions. You can never know what will happen.

• Yes, but it cuts both ways: if someone asks for it, then he's got at least one tiny shred of doubt, but if the other doesn't agree, then that means the other person does too...

• I just think that they're a bad idea.

• Yep. Cause why not?
    People say true love ultimately triumphs over the impossible.
    Now... Why would anyone who believed in true love not sign a piece of paper.
    Oh yeah, because it shows 'a lack of trust'. The irony.

• No, but it's useful for when shit hits the fan

• No, but in some cases it might help a man protect his assets. Even then a woman can lie in divorce court and get the judge to overrule the prenup. More so if there are childs due to "Best Interests" policies.

• Yes, because you don't know if the woman will divorce you and take all you own.

• The idea that you romantically get married without one (you know, like i did) is stupid and not how the world works.

You have a prenuptial agreement. If you don't sign a custom one, you have the laws of marriage & divorce where you live. It's all spelled out there, roughly, what will happen in a divorce.

There -is no- such thing as a 'no legal divorce' clause. You get married, you might get divorced. So then it's a matter of whether you use the standard rules, or you specify custom rules.

The standard rules assume that the lower income earner is forced to be one and should be compensated for sacrificing, as opposed to recognizing that in many cases the lower earner is riding off the high earner's income and that perhaps they don't deserve that to continue if they leave the marriage.

• We love Prenups! We love Prenups!

• How would you be able to determine commitment with a prenup?

• No I don't think so. Whether you're a male or a female I think it's a good idea, especially if you've built up some kind of fortune or business it would be wise to toted what you earned. W the way the divorce rate is I'd definitely get one. It's to protect you financially, I don't think you'd like it if someone took half of what you earned before you ever got involved w them. Besides if someone is so sure that they will be together forever than I don't think there'd be a problem signing one cause it would never be put into play as we're supposedly 100% positive that we will be together forever that's why we're getting married lol course you could say it the other way as well that we don't need one cause I'm 100% positive we will be together forever lol

What Girls Said 11

• No prenups honestly are quite positive in my perspective doesn't mean you love the person any less. My parents signed one, and when they got split up my father still made sure my mother was taken care of.

• If the person refuses, I would be alarmed. But if I asked my husband to stay at home and simply take care of the kids, I see the prenup as me taking away him covering his butt if we break up.

I think in general, prenups have nothing to do with commitment.

• No. It determines how well you're able to see different outcomes and prepare for the worst case scenario.
    Nobody gets car insurance, hoping they'll get into a car crash. Neither do people get prenups, hoping or thinking that their marriage will fail. It's a safety net, nothing more.

• Nope. I think they're a good way to determine how naive someon eis.

• I don't think so, they just make sure that a person doesn't lose something if the relationship doesn't work for some reason

• I think it's a good way to judge how the other person views marriage. Anyone who is against a pre-nup in my opinion, especially in the 21st century, don't want to take the chance that they get divorced and are left with nothing. Most people who want a pre-nup want to protect themselves, not screw over the other person. And if you sign the pre-nup, the you agreed to the terms and conditions. There can't be a pre-nup if both parties don't agree, so I don't understand why no one would consider one.

• No a prenup is to protect assets. It has nothing to do with commitment.

• Exactly so if you both protect your assets then you know she's committed out of love not finance

• No, I don't like them

• I think they can be a good idea but me being the person I am would find it insulting as well

• I'm not even exactly sure what a prenup is and I'm married lol

• No. I'd want a prenup but I am very committed to my guy. Obviously, I want to be with my partner for the rest of my life, but I don't know the future. Things happen and I'd want to protect myself. He can protect himself, so there's no pressure in that regards and we could focus on our relationship instead of feeling resentment, fear (financially), or whatever.