Marriage, when is it toooo young?

After climbing Croagh Patrick recently, I witnessed a young man propose to his now fiancé. they did not seem to be dating too long. What I want to know is; When are you too young to propose marriage?, When did you do it?, Whats the norm? and also How long should I wait before its ok to ask MY girlfriend?

Most Helpful Guy

• Americans are getting married later and later now. Right now, the average age of first marriage in the United States is 27 for women and 29 for men, up from 23 for women and 26 for men in 1990 and 20 and 22 in 1960.

When is "Too Young"? It really depends on the person. I married at 19, and was divorced at 20. I then married again at 24 and have been married ever since. My Mom and Dad married at 27 (he was a widower and it was her first marriage), and my Grandparent married at 17 and 18. Both of them were married until they passed (grandparent) or are married still (parent).

Statistically speaking, the older you age, the lower the chances of divorce. However, and the funny thing is, if you wait too long, your chances of divorce go back up.

According to the website listed below (I have no idea how accurate it is), prior to age 32, each additional year of age at marriage reduces the odds of divorce by 11 percent. However, after 32 the odds of divorce increase by 5 percent per year.

family-studies.org/.../

What Girls Said 6

• I don't think you're really too young if you're an adult, of course people will have their opinions and feel that when you're in your younger years you haven't experienced enough life to make a huge commitment, but some people want to. I think when you know you know and it's mutually felt.

• i don't think there's a "norm" to it... i think it all depends on the couple's choice

• Anything below 22.

• Under 20.

• under 23 is too young

• I'd say under 21. Between 18 and 21 your whole outlook, ideas etc undergo a drastic change. I don't recommend under 21 for that reason. You may be great with each other at 18 but after 21 you may find you can't stand each other... May... Not a foregone conclusion.

What Guys Said 3

• I actually think that early to mid twenties can be still be considered too young. Depending on the laws of the place you live some places allow marriage when both parties are in their early teens such as in New Hampshire you could marry when you are 14 years of age provided the fact that you get Parental Consent. Everywhere else the minimum is 18 WITHOUT any kind of Parental Consent except for Mississippi (21 is minimum age to marry without consent) and Nebraska (21 is minimum age to marry without consent).

• 16-18 is too young

• 1 day old.