Should a man completely choose an engagement ring, or should the couple pick it out together before the official proposal?

This question is for guys and girls. Do you think a man should be the only one involved in choosing/purchasing an engagement ring? Or should the woman have some part in it?

On one end I love the idea of the woman being completely surprised with the proposal and ring and seeing how well the man can choose something that is right for her.

On the other hand, some women, like me, who don't wear much jewelry, have a very particular style that may be hard to pin down, so it may be nice to have the woman choose the ring she likes, then the man choose the time/place/details of the proposal.

Which side are you on?

Most Helpful Guy

• Man should choose it, before proposing.

It's a good test. For example, if a girl says no because the ring isn't expensive enough, he knows right away she's not worthy.

• I agree with that reasoning, but I'm talking more tastes in style than price. You'd think the guy would know if the girl is like that before considering marrying her, too.

Most Helpful Girl

• the whole ring culture is stupid

What Guys Said 4

• I think they should go into q jewelry store to just look around so he can get an ideal of what she likes. Then, when he ready to propose he will know exactly what to get.

• Wouldn't it destroy the element of surprise from the entire proposal if a guy said "Honey, lets go shopping for an engagement ring so I can propose to you!"

• Couple should choose their ring together.

• There's something about a guy going out on a limb to propose to a woman, spending a lot of money, and the woman over his shoulder so that her soon to be "dumb" fiance doesn't choose the wrong thing that really rubs me the wrong way. No offense.

What Girls Said 3

• Man should choose it.
    Things like that, I go for suprises.
    Even if he chooses the ugliest ring, it can turn out to be a funny story. :D

• Honestly, I am okay with my future husband picking out my ring because he will know me well enough to know what I like. I also think it's just sweeter that way if he picks it out on his own.

• I want my boyfriend to choose (he's not totally ok with that lol)