In marriage, would you take their last name?

Seems pretty straight forward.
Comment if anything doesn't suit you or if you'd rather hyphenate whatever.

If you'd keep your last name (as a girl), what name would you want your kids to take?

• Female: yes
  • Female: no
  • Female: depends
  • Male: I'd take hers
  • Male: I'd keep mine
  • It's the spinster and cat life for me.
For me: while my name is part of my identity and it would take time to get used to. I would happily take his last name. Because he is part of my identity by that point, part of my life and I want a family with one name. I don't think about how hard it would be if we break up because I'd go into marriage hoping for life not "ah well, hopefully a few years".

Since I can't vote and forgot to write it! Ha.

Most Helpful Guy

• If a girls doesn't take your last name then no marriage.

If your gonna do it do it right there is no half ass marriage I keep my name.

What if I wanted to give a 25cent Ring instead of s real one becuade it better for my wallet and my future money.

The only reason you keep your last name is for your future money and business opportunity outside of that what reason do u not have to.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would keep my name and the kid can have both at least I have lol

What Guys Said 33

• She can keep her name, but the kids get mine no matter what. That's just how I feel. I am the last of my name, my family would never forgive me for not passing it on.

• Hyphenate or mine. My first name doesn't work well with a Western European last name. She is Irish and my last name sounds like it could be Irish so it may work better that way? Its way to early to think about this

• I would certainly hope my wife would take my name

• I'd hope she's take my last name, hypenated names look weird to me an none would look good with mine.

• I'm the third of my name. (Named after my dad, who is junior after his dad.)
    I most greatly desire to have a son to carry on my name, making him the fourth! (or "IV")

• I really don't care to be honest.

• I would hope that my wife would take my last name.

• Your kids can still take your last name even if your wife doesn't (at least here in Italy, I'm not sure how it works in the US!)
      And what if her family name dies with her too? Would you still expect her to take your last name?

• @BarbaraP That's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it, but it won't be an issue probably.

• I'd consider it a red flag if she didn't want to take my last name... particularly if she was the kind of girl who selectively obeyed gender roles when it favoured her

• I really would depend.

• No, I would never take the woman's last name. House Poniatowski will live on.

• I don't even want my last name.

• I'm male and it depends

• Depends

• I don't care.

• I dont care. If i like her last name. Or if she's from a different country i would take hers.

• I've considered it.

• I would insist on flipping a coin. After that i wouldn't care.

• Honestly I don't know, I'd prefer to keep both?

• How come you don't have a male: depends option? If you did I'd choose that, but as is I don't think I can answer.

• I'd keep mine.

• I'm okay with both

• If she doesn't take my name, the marriage isn't happening.

• It's aganist our culture and relgion to do that everyone keeps his name

• We will talk about. I'm open for either.

• In my culture you both partners keep their name. And so I don't really care...

• I will keep mine and what she does is her choicd but i hope she will take mine

• I don't believe in marriage, though I want kids someday.

• since when do men take womens last name?

• my mom kept hers and hyphenated it with my dad. i took my dads

• No, because I don't live in the USA and this insane custom of yours isn't done here

• I am not American either, and it's not always a "custom" sometimes people just want to do it for their partners.

• More from Guys
    3

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 39

• I have no issue taking a guy's last name if he's really set on us being married. To me, it isn't that big of a deal.

• Probably F, but if I ever married ( a guy or girl ) I'd want both of us to heiphenate

(Example:
    King-Smith
    Smith-King)

• Nope. I'm not trading my last name for any other last name in the world. It's dying out, and it's also very unique. My brother and I are literally the only ones who can carry it on.

• In our religion, we are to keep our father's name.

But since they didn't put the family name for me, I might take his last name not sure. I would have to ask an imam.

• I love my current surname despite its meaning but when it comes to the surname swop I'm a traditionalist.

• yes i will

• Yeah. But I'm keeping mine too.

• If I did, I would tack it to the end of mine. I ain't working to be a doctor to be called his name. >:-o

• My boyfriends last name is way easier to spell than mine, so I want his. I don't know how I would feel if it was the other way around though.

• Probably not if I ever did get married. Last one in my fam with my last name, not throwing it away.

• i would use both his and my last name.

• If I did get married than no. Just seems pointless and non of the women in my family did it. And all have been married 20+ years!! (To those people who will say that it's part of being one family and the wife doesn't love you enough blah blah blah) its tradition they say and like most traditions it's up to you to do it or not! :)

• In my country most of women keep their maiden name after their marriage. If I marry a western guy and if he really wants me to take his name, I will do so.

• I'm in a relationship with a girl so not really sure what we would do!

• It is usual in my country for the woman to take his name (they can't both keep their name) but I have several reasons:
    -It would be weird to get used to it
    -In case we break up I have to change my name again (identity cards give you a headache in my country)
    -Everyone can search for me on social media by my full name and remember me this way
    -I am the only child
    -I really like how my full name sounds :)

• I'd like to have my family surname used for work purposes and my future husbands' surname for everything else

• is that legal?

• It made sense and it is legal.
      I was talking to my mum about this post and mentioned your answer, it's just a matter of people being aware of it etc. But it makes sense too.

• Oh coolies :D yay!

• I did take my husbands name.

• I will be keeping my own name. We're not having kids, so having the same last name doesn't serve any real purpose for us. I love my name and wouldn't want to trade it.

• I'm a female and yes I would take his last name willingly

• Yeah because I dislike my last name and I'd want our whole family to have the same last name.

• I prefer to have my own.
    At first I am myself and only then wife of someone.
    Would he take my surname? I guess no. So why should I change the name I have always had?
    Plus it sounds good.

• Id gladly take his as would my kids as well

• I'm used to my last name so I don't know if I'll quit using it or not. I've no objections to my boyfriend's last name, but not sure if I would want it to replace the name I have now.

• I'll add it to my other names but I won't replace my maiden surname with his surname.

• Yes I would.

• ı have two names so ı wouldn't want too keep my surname too and I kind of dont like it so I would take my husband's but ıf ı had only one name and I loved my surname ı would keep mine because ı think ıt's kind of a weakness to take you husband's surname like you're under control of him

• If and when I get married, I want to take his name, drop my middle name, and make my maiden name my new middle name.

• No, it's a part of my identity and I am the only child. I'd like my kids to have my surname too or at least double barelled.

• No other last name besides the one I already have goes good with my first name.

• The poll shows female vs males anyways lol so you didn't have to write it. But I'd change my name

• I realised that after I wrote it.
      But in my thinking I didn't want guys to answer as a "yes I'd want her to take mine" fashion to the answer of "yes" so I just wrote it. But ah well, no harm.

• More from Girls
    9