Having Two Wives?

What do you think about a man who has two wives? Is it wrong? Sick? Do you think it's okay?
Where did the idea of being devoted to just one person as oppose to two, be considered the right of away or the only way?

If a man was married to you and told you he was going to marry his bestfriend which happens to be a woman what would you say, do or think?

Remember, in some religions, if you're religious, it seems like eve God was okay with the idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• As a religious person, the idea that God was always okay with polygamy is, well, inaccurate.
    If you read the bible you'll see God made one man and one woman. He didn't give Adam two wives, He gave him one wife and they were to populate the earth. Later on, God allowed polygamy because it helped spread people around more, which was His original purpose. Once Adam and Eve had eaten the fruit off the tree they lost everlasting life, so populating the earth would now take a lot longer since people would now be dying off.

Later on, God abolished the practice of polygamy and made it the way He originally intended again, one man and one woman.

As for what I think of polygamy, I think that it is POSSIBLE to be in love with two people at once, but that doesn't mean you should marry them both. Marriage is a sacred bond, a beautiful thing between two people that brings love and security to both man and woman (at least that's what it's suppose to be) so no, I don't think polygamy is ok. It brings jealousy and competition, and that's not what a healthy marriage is about

• God allowing polygamy because populating will take longer is your assumption on God's intentions. There's no passage to support this statement.

• Even in the bible, it is documented that polygamy brought jealousy to the wives involved. Just read 1 Samuel to see what I mean; Hannah was the wife of a man named Elkanah, who also had a wife named Peninnah. It is stated quite a few times that Elkanah loved Hannah, but she was unable to bare children, so he married Peninnah to give him offspring. Peninnah constantly harrassed Hannah to the point were she would become sick and not eat, because she knew Elkanah loved Hannah and not her. Peninnah was just there to make babies, as was the main point of polygamy.

• So, in essence, why would God allow such a painful practice if it didn't benefit his people in some way? It obviously did have its benefits, and that's why it was allowed. But when the time came, he made it clear that it would not be accepted anymore, especially if a man wanted to hold a position in the congregation.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 18

• There are some women who are cool with it.

It doesn't concern me so as long as it doesn't involve me.

If he did that to me, I would obviously be hurt. I would try to calm down and see if the marriage can workout. If it doesn't, then I leave him.

• As long as all partners involved are happy with it, I don't see why it's bad.

• Honestly, to each their own, but I don't see how having two partners is going to benefit your life.

• If having two won't be of much benefit, why would one partner be?

• One partner you can focus all of your attention on, if you have two lovers, you're dividing your affections and essentially creating more work for yourself. You have to provide an equal amount of love for two people, the way I see it, no matter what, someone will end up short changed.

• I think its actually very practical. You could have a 2 income family and a stay at home mom/dad. Save money on rent by sharing 1 room, possibly more sex even if one person isn't in the mood. Take turns cooking and cleaning between 3 people instead of 2. I think it only works if all 3 love each other, but I am surprised it isn't more common

• You only get one so either you choose her or me, but I don't think I would even give you a choice, if you even think about it, I'M OUT. But that's just if it were to happen to me, if other people agree to it and want it then I'd let them be though I'd feel sorry for them (the women) cause one is always loved more than the other, from my personal experience. And it kinda does affect the children as I'm affected.

• it probably pisses the wife off but it works for some people.

if a man was married to me and asked to marry his best friend i'd either
    A. hang him off the chandeliers
    or B. leave him

• I dont care. Do what you want everyone else does. BUT how do you feel about a woman with two husbands?

• I have seen it slot. And the wives are usually all friendly with each other.

• Interesting.

• And where have you seen this?

• In UAE with mostly Arab families but I have seen one who was Pakistani and had 2 wives.

• That they don't love either one of their wives and see people as commodities.

• If the first wife consents to it and the man is capable of honestly loving them equally and meeting their needs equally, sure, why not?

• >_> I'd divorce him if he ever tried the poly bullshit with me.

• It's not okay to have two wives wtf

• kill her

• I in general think itis wrong

• I just find it wrong. Your heart should be w/ ONE person.

• We are animals and we are designed to not be monogamous. But civilization has implanted this mentality that we only need one person in our lives. Most people fall in love with someone else or is attracted to someone else we all love more than one person, but in different ways. But I am monogamous and I can't imagine have a husband and a wife. Because there will be jealous and you're giving yourself to two people constantly I would think it would get tiresome after a while. If I married a guy and he wanted another wife I would leave. Because I don't want to fight for someone to choose to love me more than the other.

• It's wrong (and God never says he's ok with it)

• Selfish sex addict.

• Damn girl i like this answer🙌🏽🙌🏽

• More to marriage than just sex. Would the husband still be a "selfish sex addict" if the three had absolutely no sex? Would it be deemed okay?

• No, because what are the women getting out of the arrangement? Unending jealousy? Someone to share the housework with while hubby lounges on his arse all day. Hard pass.

What Guys Said 4

• i think one woman would be enough. i would not like it when my wife has two husbands. so i dont want two wives.

• not interested in that a bit

• It will probably make the wives jelousy of each other and fight for attention

• I would if I could