I think my girlfriend is hinting at marriage?

We've been together kind of nearly a year now (closer to over half a year but before a full year) but anyway, we had a bit of an argument a few weeks ago but it was quite pointless really. But I made her stand up, I looked in her eyes and told her that I loved her and wanted her in my life for the rest of our lives.

The way I worded it sounded like a bit of a proposal though, and she looked a bit shocked and I explained I didn't mean it like that, I just want to spend the rest of my life with her. I do want to get married some day but not this early on I guess..

Anyway, after that, the subject keeps coming up, I forgot what we said the other day, and today I mentioned a girl I saw on my Facebook newsfeed how she was complaining she was single one month, and the next she was engaged to some guy and she got married to him. And the conversation went from there then. I told my girlfriend I'd rather wait just over a year or two before anything like that happens, and she agreed, but something told me she was a little bit disappointed with that..
I feel like she maybe does want it so she can feel closer to me but I don't know..

Truth be told, on a different subject, I'm feeling a bit unhappy and unsettled with her at the moment. Yes I do want to be with her and I love her lots, but there's things going on at the moment..

But if she is unsettled over the other subject, is there anything I can do? Or say?

The thing I meant to mention though was that she keeps mentioning it at different occasions. She'll talk about it, then act like she's not bothered but then I see this disappointed look in her face

Most Helpful Girl

• Girls tend to push for marriage or commitment when they are worried the relationship is dying. Maybe she is picking up on the vibes that you are unhappy with her at the moment.
    You could try a "mini commitment" to make her feel better. Plan to do something with her that is a few months into the future, like a concert or trip. Then she knows that she is a part of your future without having to rush into a crazy marriage.

• I forgot I asked this question, but it's her birthday in a few weeks and I keep pushing her that I want to do something special for it! Mine is the week after and I've even said I'd sacrifice mine just to do something special for hers because she didn't have a nice birthday last year she told me.

There's some other problems going on at the moment between her and her family, and I'm trying to prove myself that I love her so much, I'm sticking through anything

• Perfect, that is a good chance to do something fun. You might want to keep her expectations low so she is more surprised by it. I'm sure she would be happy to have some space away from her family

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 2

• hmmmmm its clear she wants to get married with you... try and tell her its for a little bit later and show her things are going towards this

• Not really, you said your peace and your insight, you've been together for just nearly a year, I think anyone really would understand you'd want to wait longer.

What Guys Said 3

• "We've been together kind of nearly a year now (closer to over half a year but before a full year. . .." This reminds me of an adolescent saying, "I'll be 14 1/2 in 4 months." You are trying to stretch how long you've been together because you KNOW you have not been together long enough to consider marriage, right?

NEVER get married because you feel pressured or because you think it will make you feel closer. If you think you are not as close as you could be, that is a sign that you are not easy for marriage.

You are feeling unsettled because you sense her discontent. Women are usually in more of a rush to make things "permanent" and marriage is something that should not be rushed. But I do sense that you want to please her. Why not suggest that the two of you go shopping for a promise ring? (But only if you feel confident that you are heading in the direction of marriage.)

• i don't think she's hinting at marriage. i think what you said though certainly put in her mind that marriage is the end game

• The thing I meant to mention though was that she keeps mentioning it at different occasions. She'll talk about it, then act like she's not bothered but then I see this disappointed look in her face

• well i think wtihin the span of a year marriage shouldn't really be a consideration.

however i think perhaps you two should just have a conversation where you both express sort of what would be your hopes and desires and timelines for marriage. what you may want to achieve personally and in the relationship before you felt comfortable with marriage, and other things. I think it's great to have this conversation so that both people can explicitly lay out on the table where they are at and their expectations so people are on the same page

• marriage after one year and a half of being together? no, i would not do that personally.