Why do you NOT want to get married?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 9

• I don't see any legal benefits of doing it so seems like a waste of money. Plus I don't need to marry the dude I'm with to prove how much I love him.

• -loss of freedom
    -don't like the idea of being legally bound to someone
    -if things don't work out, leaving that person if a lot more complicated since the gov't will be involved
    -it's a traditional institution and I don't like traditions
    -they're a lot of hard work and effort that I'm just not willing to put in
    -just simply have no desire for it whatsoever

• I currently don't see any financial benefit in getting married. I might change my mind after meeting the right man but I'm always nervous about someone trying to use me financially. I have an inheritance and I'm a decent earner myself so I'm set as long as I don't screw something up. The wrong guy with good game could screw me up for life. I'd definitely have a pre-nup and keep our funds separate if I did decide to marry - he'd have to be secure enough to handle all that.

• Even in the unfortunate case of divorce, you'd probably be fine and keep all of your money. The court systems are set up in women's favor.

• @swellcity80 There are an alarming number of men out there that take advantage of women with money, they don't want to work, they want to be taken care of. This subject is always derogatory toward women, who through divorce, are allowed to share the assets of the marriage, but if the women are working too then they are entitled to that which they've contributed to. If a husband doesn't want his wife to work, then she's 100% dependent upon him and those assets, if he then he decides he wants a younger wife, she's entitled to half because she trusted him and the marriage that was promised to sustain her stability throughout her life. It only seems unfair when the guy wants both his new life and all the assets he's accumulated, leaving his wife behind with no work experience or education from which to earn an income capable of sustaining her quality of life. It seems unfair to both sides. Why not just keep promises? Women leave men too. There are bad stories about both men and women.

• I don't doubt that for a minute, I'm saying when the divorce comes its unlikely the bum of a man will get anything regardless, many rarely keep all of their own money, let alone any of their wives money.

• I don't not want to get married

• The only reason is because so many people marry for the wrong reasons. I've been in relationships with people who were with me for the wrong reasons and I'm not overly good at figuring it out. I'd definitely have to have a pre-nup if I got married.

• I hate planning, & I really suck at it too. I'm not really.. into commitment. Kinda freaks me out. Plus, no one in their right mind would/should want to marry me. I'm basically emotionless & would probably just kill you eventually anyways. And I'll never tell you "I love you".. except maybe while I kill you.

• I don't want to have to answer to anyone or have to consult anyone before I make a decision or choice

• Most studies show that marriage is great for men but, if anything, detrimental to women.

• well i want to get married… soooo I don't know why you wouldn't want to get married.

• Why?
      Look at divorce law, how it is applied by courts and what happened to the 50 per cent of men who are divorced.
      From a male point of view, marriage or any form of cohabitation carries with it a 50/50 risk of utter destruction and impoverishment for life.

• @cth96190 I'm sorry you think that way

• @jaymie95
      It is not about feelings, it is about facts.
      Feminist lobbying has resulted in law throughout the Western world that makes marriage or cohabitation suicidal for men.
      Even dating and casual sex have become unacceptable risks, due to child-support orders and false rape allegations.

What Guys Said 19

• For those that do absolutely get married, best of luck and good luck to them. However for those that do marry and have somebody then they also have somebody to lose. You can always lose your partner or spouse either through divorce or something randomly tragic or horrible thing may occur, and then somebody gets left behind and becomes widowed, not saying it's guaranteed situation to happen but more often than not somebody will go first and the other person will get left behind, as very rarely both partners leave this world at the same time.

For those of you that never ever want children of your own for whatever reasons that may be and will absolutely never change your minds, then marriage really isn't a priority as least from the way I look at it, and won't really matter. I suppose that if you did marry and is unsure how things are going to play out then you can try your best and work out any problems you had discovered in your marriage BEFORE bringing additional family members into existence. Otherwise, "when" an "if" an ugly split or divorce eventually happens then your children will get caught in the crossfire and get fucked over by your failed marriage (for some cases things may turn out fine, but I doubt that is very common). So if there are red flags post-marriage and things really didn't work out between 2 people no matter how hard they tried to compromise and work together, then it's best to split and start over fresh, a complete clean slate, the loss is not as great for both partners when they don't feel they are compelled to stay together just for their children. Though this usually isn't a big deal for those that are really fucking wealthy like celebrities and shit, but I'm just sayin' just really THINK about it.

Because, should and "If" a divorce ever occur, then it is much easier without ANY children involved and caught in the middle. Both partners can start all over with significantly less baggage, and will just have to choose wisely the next time around should they decide to marry again that is. And I sure hope they learned important lessons about everything about why their previous marriage ended in divorce and how they can improve themselves, what they should have and could have done differently should they decide to try again and re-marry someone else in the future.

• Getting married to me seems like a financial nightmare, and commitment that I don't feel like I'll ever be ready for; not that I want to go have sex with strange girls, but doing what I want to do whenever I want to do it. If I want to move to another state, it'd be much easier and simpler with just me, rather than forcing "my wife" to moving also. Then the unfortunate happens and you divorce, suddenly she's after everything, and your money. The court system is not set up for men to be successful, so most likely you'll end up splitting everything and maybe paying alimony. Shit like that scares me so bad, because I do make great money and I'm looking to invest, I would hate for this to be disrupted over a woman wanting it.

• The only thing I fear about marriage is how it changes people. The person you date will not be the same after you marry them; it's just a fact that has been studied for years and years. Weird too.

• What Mustachekitteh, cth96190 and idkwtftoputhere said!

A piece of paper and a ring doesn't prove and validate love, neither is it necessary.
    + you put yourself at risk and sell out yourself to the legal state that allows you to legally rip you off and devastate the rest of your days over this thing called marriage.

• Because people are pessimistic, that's why they don't wanna marry.

• Marriage is a financial institution these days. There is this sexual attraction for couple of days and then it dies off and if the marriage stays it's for children and financial stability! I don't want children and Getting involved with someone like this has lots of repercussions! After living alone for years I realise I do not need someone else to fulfil what I want. Plus being in the field of sciences you have no time for other things! Plus in times of freedom and holidays backpacking is the best boon of life! Which gets lots of restriction when travelling with an inexperienced wife as a traveller! that and a hell lot of things!

• Way too much for a risk nowadays.

• There is no way I can trust somebody enough to go into a legally binding contract such as marriage with them.

• It seems like people change when they get married, it seems like in the dating and relationship phase people let certain aspects of their lives change then when the ring happens their true self comes out and they comfortable lol

• because it seems all for women. like the dress, party, the ring. it costs a shitload of money.

• I don't have enough space to write it all here.

Google dontmarry. wordpress. That should give you a pretty extensive list of reasons that a man should never marry.

• Because it is too risky for a man nowadays.

• Not sure why I didn't want to... Best mistake of my life!

• What's the benefit of it?

A highly expensive ceremony and a just as expensive honeymoon for what again?

If you need to get married to prove that you love someone, you probably shouldn't be getting married

• If that's what you want, go for it. it can be an incredible life. Just take your time and give it 3 to 5 years before taking the plunge. Love is blind!

• I live in California

• Pretty much what @Mustachekitteh said.

• My biggest fear is commitment

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more