Marriage at 16?

Ok so me and my boyfriend has been together for a while now and was thinking about getting married the only problem is he's 18 and I'm 15 almost 16 and can't get married without parental consent and my mom agreed as long as he had a job but things changed her mind after a while for some little fight we had anyways I don't want to hear I'm too young or anything like that I just want to know how to convince her to say yes again?

Most Helpful Guy

• To young, way to young it'll never work at your age, your better off just waiting.

• Nobody was tooo young back then Jesus parents Mary was like my age when she did

• I don't know what job but I know they had 10 kids and they were poor but they all made it when my grandma aka great grandmothers last kid was 11 he died and she never got with anyone after that with God by it side anything is possible

• When did they get married? 30s, 40s, later?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sixteen is a bit young by today's standards. I married at 18 last year to the guy I've been head over heels in love with since I was about 14, my parents (and his) wisely would never have consented for us to get married even if he were 18 and I was 16. Both of us are mature, but neither he or I were mature enough to be married at that age.

We just celebrated our first (of many) anniversary, I can tell you that even though he and I have been best friends since we were 5 and 6 years old. I thought I knew every thing there was to know about him, I'm still learning new things about him almost every day. This year has been challenging in many respects, things like establishing our own home, ourselves as a married couple, our order within both his and my families, attending college together, he just graduated with his Bachelors Degree moving to his Masters next year, I'll graduate with my Bachelors next spring then start on my Masters the next fall. Our plates are full, there are challenges as I expect there always will be with a different name on them as we progress along.

Is there anything that you want to do with your life? Besides becoming a young mother. Those are decisions that you need to figure out before you even consider saying "I do". If you intend on staying together as a couple in spite of your current age and maturity levels you should consider a structured "Courting Relationship" where there are predetermined boundaries, rules for being a couple all under the supervision of both sets of parents before you are even allowed to date unsupervised. (Some couples even do supervised dating after progressing through the courting period remain in the courting period until marriage.) If both of you cannot submit to a supervised relationship, I doubt that either of you are mature enough for marriage. Where you will be accountable to each other for absolutely everything!

Just a thought or two from a young married gal.

What Guys Said 17

• Please tell me you're kidding. You've got your whole damn life ahead of you and you're going to do something like this? It makes no sense. I hope your mother blocks it.

• That's exactly why I didn't want to ask anyone because I knew this Is what y'all would say

• At least if your mother blocks it you can wait 2 years to think it over before you ruin your life:

• That's the best advice you're going to get, kid.

• You dont wanna hear it but its for your own good.. YOU'RE TOO YOUNG!!!

• Marriage is after the age of 20 and after you find a decent job , go study kiddo

• It will never work out because you don't know yourself!.. You will change!.. And when you discover yourself and become stable with life and have your moments then is the time to get married

• would you get married if divorce wasn't a possibility?

• no just no... we are all immature... if you want to make your life miserable go ahead...

• Give her some time, and show her that you and he are both mature.

• nope dont, you have lot of time for that, enjoy the life, your too young to take responsibilities of a marriage

• So you want advise? But not for your goodness huh? People here telling you that you're underage are right, but hey if you wanna be pregnant poor divorced girl, i can say show your parents that you can live without them.

• No I don't want to be that and I won't with God by my side not government but God!

• Other GaGers, are you still reading this? WtF

• its too young, you need to wait till you have gone to college. things can change in college if people move apart, also people change emotionally as they age. wait till you are at least 21.

• You are still young be a fiancĂ© then when you start to get older marry him

• What is it with people marrying so going these days.

• Worked for Duck Dynasty. They look awesome.

• You need to both have jobs and be financially secure. You must graduate high school. You must have your own place.

Adult life is VERY hard. YOU are responsible for paying bills. No more parental support.

• Well my mum married at 17 and still is so it can work. But I would wait until you're 18. That gives a few more years to get to know each other and you won't have to get permission

• If you still feel strongly about it and know he's the one at 18 then go for it

• Maybe you could get engaged now. Enjoy and plan in the two years leading up to the wedding

• You are too young. No matter how mature you think you are (or even if you are REALLY mature) it's too early. Even people in 30s-40s can't deal with this stuff with ease then how are you planning to do all that stuff?

• People in 30s and 40s just getting married honestly r the most weirdest poeple I ever heard u mean what chick don't wan kids and an actual life

• Then what are you? You're still using SMS lingo, failing to convey your thoughts properly and still want to settle down with a guy? You're just 15. Even people in 30s are struggling to settle down properly or have barely found a stable income source and here you are talking about marriage.

Your age to study, learn something useful, to make mistakes (not the big ones like 'marriage') and learn from them. Stop thinking about it, you're WAY TOO YOUNG! Heck even I feel I'm not ready for that shit. You can't possibly be ready for it. Stop it. It's for your own good.

• lloloolol no

What Girls Said 19

• Convince her to say yes when you're old enough to work at a job that will help you bring in enough money to pay hte bills without living paycheque to paycheque, as well as enough to be self-sufficient, should you guys break up.

The fact that you're bringing up the fact that Mary and Joseph were young and got married somewhat successfully only showcases how much maturing you have left to do. You realize that that's basically a fairytale. Not only that, but Mary and Joseph didn't have utility/hydro/electricity/cable/internet/cellphone bills to pay, amongst many other things.

• I also kinda wanted to marry at 15 and I don't think it's impossible (except that my parents would obviously disapprove) but not in today's age.
    Now if anything people are marrying in their 30's. 30 is the new 20 and people were much more mature in the past.
    No need to rush just focus on your education for now.

• You probably don't want to hear this but 16 is way to young to get married. Who's gonna pay the bills, buy groceries for the house, etc. If I were you I would finish high school first and then graduate and go to college (if you chose to) get a degree, and then think about marriage. Getting married at a young age is not a good idea You haven't even experienced life yet. Don't throw it all away by getting married so young.

• your mum was considering it?
    wtf I don t give a damn about your description it s a no.
    why?
    cause you are still a kid, you re still naive, you don't know what you want, you have no income, no job, you actually need money for school, you re too young for sex
    etc...

• Make up, tell her you're sorry (even if you're not). Of you two are really in love your mom will see that and let you marry.
    Now I know you don't want to hear it, but please listen. If you're mom won't say yes you can wait till you're an adult and then get married. I think you should do this anyways. If you really love each other you can wait a few years. It's not like you won't be together, you could even move in together. But if you wait till you're an adult you'll know you two are in love because you were willing to wait.

But in the end it's your choice, I wish you and your boyfriend the best of luck.

• This can't be real.

• Sweetheart listen to us. Basically every other person who is commenting or will be commenting has more life experience and is trying to help. You should try listening to us before you fuck your life up. Why are you guys even dating? You're underage. This site will give you the bitter truth. Life is not a fairy tale you have to make it your own way and not depend on a man. Make sure you are successful and happy before you decide to settle down. Seriously you are fifteen, you're hardly an adult you can't even vote.

• Did you just tell the blue anon that people who don't want kids are weird? Or at least that's what I got because you don't know English. I don't think I want kids do you have a problem with that?

• This is the most ignorant question i ever heard. Did you even think about the future? Think about how you're going to make money so you can afford everything you want or accept to live the poor life? idc how much you love him remember that love comes last when you finish your studies and make your own money so that when you have a baby you can afford him all his needs girl please don't take stupid decisions you have a long road in this life before marriage

• Just tell her that you want to get engaged and the marriage can wait. Or just get your boyfriend to get a job then remind her of your original agreement

• Sounds like a divorce waiting to happen.

• try and show her you're responsible enough to be able to care after a husband and a a household

• I think you should wait. Things change when you're out of high school. You might regret it.

• will it's your right to marry him but if you married now you will not study any more and you will not help him anymore but it's your right after all and your mom should know that

• WAY TOO YOUNG. Dear god.

• Nope nope nope nope nope

• Prove to her that you and your boyfriend are in a healthy, mature relationship.

• Thank u that's the best advice I've gotten but how exactly tho!

• Thanks urs helped a lot

• Any time, good luck!

• Don't, you're gonna regret it. You have your entire life ahead of you, you're a little kid

• Isn't that illegal?

• If she's a good mom which sounds to me like she is. You won't be able to change her mind. She's doing you a favor. Teenagers can't even wipe their own asses right. Being married isn't glitter and unicorns. You need to get a job and be a housewife which you are not ready for.

• I don't know who's the craziest your mom for allowing you to get married, your old ass boyfriend or you. You're 15 why would you even do that? Where were you live? Who would be paying for your bills? Who would pay for the wedding?

• We wouldn't want a big wedding to pay for and besides mine and his phone bills my mom will be doing all the others because I'll be living with her can't move out till 18

• No I didn't say that either

How long did you live with the boy?