Guys and Girls, What do you think about marriage at a young age?

I'm talking about 18 and up. Not younger than that.

Most Helpful Guy

• As someone who did get married young, my opinion might be a little biased, but I think it's a bad idea.

At that age, rushing into something like that doesn't give you time to really think about what you're doing. You don't really have an appreciation for the consequences.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm think it's foolish to make a permanent decision at such a young age. I mean sure, it's not *actually* permanent since divorce is a thing, but when getting married it should be done seriously, as if it was permanent for real. There's no thinking "oh well, if this fucks up I can always divorce them and get a new partner", you know.
    A teen/young adult isn't fully matured or their own person yet. Hence, they shouldn't be making such decisions when for all we know they could be a completely different person within the next couple of years. Not only that, but there's no point in "settling down" so soon, young people should focus on their education first, as well as getting a job, getting their own place, living on their own for a while etc. It's about finding yourself as much as it is about creating stability in your life.

What Guys Said 17

• Delaying marriage strongly correlates with lower likelihood of divorce.

Age of first marriage is a good predictor of income (delaying = higher income), but it is not clear the direction of causality.

• My personal view is live your life somewhat then settle down - I would consider 25 or under very young - Where I am from Ireland I would say average marriage age is 30 plus ( I checked 33.5 in 2014)

• Statistics I remember reading about age and marriage if I remember correctly showed, people who got married between 18-24 the divorce rate was 72%, almost 3 in 4 marriages failing.

• Not a fan of young people getting married that young. Most of them are divorced by now that I knkw

• I don't think getting married is viable unless you have already been with your partner for a while (your relationship withstood the tests of time).

Most people don't find a stable partner until their last years of HS or when they go off to college. It wouldn't be smart to get married only a few years later.

The only time I can see it happening is if you are one of those rare people who fell in love with a childhood friend whom you have known all your life and trust more than anyone.

• I have no problem with it if you're financially sound and you have a good relationship with someone you know well then go for it.

• Ridiculous. You haven't even developed as a person yet. So many things happen in life around that age that change your perceptions of things. So the odds of you being compatible in 4 or 5 with the person you married are pretty low.

• If marriage was made to last... not no fault divorce and "eat love pray" shit, then it would be ideal if couples got married at 20 and stayed married.

• It depend on for how many years the two have been together and if there is economical independence for them.

• I'm opposed to marriage at ANY age.

• i got married just before my 19th bday

• Not a good idea. Date at least 2 or 3 years first

• Dumb

• Marriage should be before or after twenties

• Maybe too early. But what do I know lol

• I think people should wait till their older honestly

• I think if you don't marry your highschool sweet heart your tour for love is over. TLDR boyo

What Girls Said 19

• Eh... I know there's rare instances in which it does work, but more often than not, people are still growing and changing SO much well into their 20s, and sometimes even into their early 30s. I think young marriages worked better for prior generations because they had a stronger sense of dedication and overall moral fibre than ours. We're all about instant gratification--if it doesn't please us in every way right this second, we're out. And sadly, that's how too many people view marriage these days--regardless of age.

• My mom married 2 months before turning 23 and she's happy she did. If you find someone good why not?
    But I doubt I will get married before I turn 25.

• I'm not into it because I feel like I need more time to explore my life before settle down. Plus, the divorce rate is very high among these young couples.

• Well I don't mind it as long as they are being serious

• Because college exists.

• If you're ready, and are legal then I don't see the problem.

• Well, whatever floats their boat.

• I think young marriages usually don't last. Many people get married for the wrong reasons.

• Two friends of mine married right out of college today. She has a serious eating disorder, they're too much alike in that they're more uptight, he dominates her completely (not meaning to because he's a nice guy) while she fades into the background, and they haven't banged yet (!!!). Let's just say I worry...

• Live together for two years first. If you last that long, then go for it. Rushing into it is a waste of money.

• its common

• Live... if you're ready go for it✌🏾️

• Marriage isn't necessary , maybe age 40

• I enjoy being married.

• Typically ends in divorce within a few years.

• Would not do it

• Well, I would want to have been out of University before getting married. I wouldn't mind getting engaged at like 19 or 20 so I'm kind of under reservation lol, and then getting married at like 25 or 26 once we both have finished school and started saving.

• I hope to get married by my mid-20s.

• Not a good idea because it tends to fail