Writing own Marriage Vows?

I'm getting married next year and we are wanting to write our own. Any tips in what to say in writing your own? Do you just basically say how you feel and how much you love them, Is it supposed to be short and sweet or can It be long?

Most Helpful Guy

• WOW WHOA THAT IS AWESOME <3 :D <3 Congratulations to begin with :) :) :)

1. Well I personally believe that the best words & vows are those that are left unsaid :)
    2. However, it does make people feel good to hear certain things
    3. You sure can say some sweet things but can execute a lot more in real life - all those that are left unsaid :)

Okay here goes (I tried)
    (a) I promise to love and care for you this lifetime till eternity
    (b) I will have faith in you and not just trust cause trust requires incidents while faith is eternal
    (c) I won't be forgiving to you cause there never will be a situation that I won't accept about you - I love and care for you as you are
    (d) I will be a husband / wife later but first of all I am a friend to you cause without friendship no relationship lasts
    (e) You aren't just my husband/wife but my lover & I'll lust for you with every breath and beat
    (f) I promise to be your friend and companion, your partner, ally, fan, adversary, comrade, student & teacher accomplice at all times
    (g) I give you my heart & soul, promise to walk with you for eternity

Well I tried and yes I can write a lot more lol

Good luck young lady, this is so awesome <3 <3 <3

• Thank you for liking my opinion young lady <3

• haha thanks stop it your making me blush over here

• Sure you look awesome when blushing as well <3 :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg congratulations! So happy for you!

I don't know about marriage vows, but let it come from your heart. It'll be special :)

• thank and that's what I was thinking having it be something like really from the heart but not over the top

What Guys Said 8

• It's a lot more than just how you feel.

When you and your future spouse are writing vows for your marriage, you're writing down the very foundation of the rest of your lives. You're both going to want more than a bunch of feelings and sweet nothings to hold up your relationship.

Marriage is a covenant; a sacred bond between a man and a woman instituted by and publicly entered into before God. There is no better place to learn about marriage than the Bible. In fact, the Bible expresses at least 5 aspects of marriage that you can expound upon in your vows:

1. Its Permanence - Marriage is intended to be permanent, since it was established by God (Matthew 19:6; Mark 10:9). Marriage represents a serious commitment that should not be entered into lightly or unadvisedly. It involves a solemn promise or pledge, not merely to one's marriage partner, but before God.
    2. Its Sacredness - Marriage is not merely a human agreement between two consenting individuals (a "civil union"); it is a relationship before and under God (Genesis 2:22).
    3. Its Intimacy - Marriage is the most intimate of all human relationships, uniting a man and a woman in a "one-flesh" union (Genesis 2:23 -25). Marriage involves "leaving" one's family of origin and "being united" to one's spouse, which signifies the establishment of a new family unit distinct from the two originating families.
    4. Its Mutuality - Marriage is a relationship of free self-giving of one human being to another (Ephesians 5:25-30). The marriage partners are to be first and foremost concerned about the wellbeing of the other person and to be committed to each other in steadfast love and devotion. This involves the need for forgiveness and restoration of the relationship in the case of sin. Mutuality, however, does not mean sameness in role. Scripture is clear that wives are to submit to their husbands and to serve as their "suitable helpers," while husbands are to bear the ultimate responsibility for the marriage before God (Ephesians 5:22-24; Colossians 3:18; see also Genesis 2:18, 20).
    5. Its Exclusiveness - Marriage is not only permanent, sacred, intimate, and mutual; it is also exclusive (Genesis 2:22-25; 1 Corinthians 7:2-5). This means that no other human relationship must interfere with the marriage commitment between husband and wife.

Your vows you don't have to be long, just make sure it's straight to the point about it. I strongly suggest you both to get marital counseling at your local church. God bless!

• I'm sure he is going to be using bible verses in his I need to bust out my bible and get to reading.. thank you I enjoyed reading your opinion

• "I, [name], take you [name], to be my [husband/wife], to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

"I, [name], choose you [name] to be my [husband/wife], to respect you in your successes and in your failures, to care for you in sickness and in health, to nurture you, and to grow with you throughout the seasons of life."

"I, [name], take you, [name], to be my friend, my lover, the [mother/father] of my children and my [husband/wife]. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph.

I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity. "

"I, [name], take you, [name], to be my partner, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the [man/woman] you will become, and falling in love a little more each day.

I promise to love and cherish you through whatever life may bring us

• hmm the first one is textbook vows as I'm going to call it, but maybe I could take a little bit of all of them and combine them into 1

• The Bride: "I promise to love you with all my heart and soul although I'm sorry I can't agree to root for the Nebraska Cornhuskers."

The Groom: "I promise to love you with all my heart and soul, and to root for the Kansas Jayhawks, the Kansas City Royals, and the Kansas City Chiefs with all my heart and soul forever."

• bawhaha you should add that I hate Nebraska drivers lol they either are trying to win the indy 500 or they've been watching to much Turbo (snails) there's no in between...

• It can be long. But you're making vows. Promise little, and you'll at least stand a chance of being true to them. Make 30 minutes of promises, you'll have broken one before the day is out.

• Maybe think about positive and negative situations you may encounter during marriage and how you would be there for each other :D
    That's part of what marriage is about I think: "in good and in bad times" :D

• I guess what I would do is be short and sweet and explain that you love him. :)

• You're the Peanut to my Butter
    You're the Star to my Burst
    You're the Milky to my Way
    You're the Ice to my Cream
    You're the Froot my Loops
    You're the Ghetto to my Booty
    You're the Best to my Friend
    And all that means
    I LOVE

• bawhaha that would be funny thanks the peanut butter would be super funny because I love peanut butter lol

• Cool and congratulations by the way 😊👊

• thank you

• Just steal the ones from Corpse Bride 😊

What Girls Said 1

• "Lets hope this does not end in divorce..."

Lol jk. I don't know

• geez rude lol.. no but seriously thanks for being honest about not knowing