Girls, How long can a relationship go before it becomes time to put a ring on it?

I have been with my girlfriend for about 4 years now and we have a happy stable relationship. Recently a few of our friends have gotten married and my girlfriend is the last in her close group of friends to not be married.
She has kind of started giving hints that she is ready to say "yes" whenever I decide to ask her. How long do you think a relationship can go for before it comes time to ask the question?

6

Most Helpful Girl

• it should never come down to that but I think she should stop hinting... Maybe tell her that hinting won't make it happen any faster, if she accepts this then she is the one for you... But it must be awful for her, nobody likes to be the last one and after 4 years you really start to question it...

What Girls Said 5

• well, i'm in your girlfriend's position~ all of my friends are either engaged or married, and i'm the only one still without a ring. but my man and i have been together for 2 years, and we both know where the other stands.

generally speaking, i recommend being together for at least 2 years (and living together for at least one of those) before proposing/accepting; if you're both on the same page, and you know she's the one, go for it.

in my case, i'm a student and my $ is tied up for the next 4 years (at least). but my man has been dropping hints that a proposal is coming, and he says that he has the whole thing planned out... so i guess we'll see lol.

as for you and your girlfriend, best of luck to you :) <3

• My 5 year anniversary would have been October 1. But he popped the question on August 1. And I'm glad. I was also dropping hints.

But my parents have friends who have been dating for 20 years and that works for them.

• Well I don't want to get married as I think it's a waste of money. But I've been told 5 years should be the mark a woman waits until they feel it isn't going to happen

• It really depends on both of you. I find it frustrating, as a woman, when I see other girls upset that their boyfriend has not proposed yet. Some people date for years before getting married and I think thats awesome. If you feel like you are ready and want to get married to her at any time whether its 1 year after dating or 4, it when you feel like thats the person you want to be with forever..

• It's time to ask now.