Is it bad to think of home as where my parents are?

I'm married and have my own house with my husband, but every time I visit my parents I describe it as I'm going home. Is it bad that I do this or is it normal for the first few years? I've heard of the expression "home is where the heart is," and it's really got me wondering if my heart isn't lining up right or something.

Most Helpful Guy

• I doubt you'll only feel this way for the first few years. It's where you were raised. My mother has been in America for 16 years and when she goes overseas she still describes it as visiting her home.

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you feel as comfortable in your house with your husband as you do at your parents' house? I wouldn't like it if my boyfriend and I were married and he said that to me when going back to his parents' house. It would make me feel like he wasn't settled with me or was having issues feeling independent. Unless we were married and staying in an apartment or something temporarily, then I wouldn't want him to say that.

Yes I'm comfortable in our house. I spend lots of time in each room. I prefer my house because it's more new and clean. When I'm in the kitchen it doesn't feel weird like it does at my parents. I can cook and know where things are. I like doing chores and decorating my spaces. I don't know what it is. Maybe when we have kids things will change.

I don't think having kids will change anything. Even though you say that you're comfortable in your new house, I think that there is a comfort and familiarity level you feel at your parents' house that may never be matched in this new house. That being said, it's fine to have more than one "home." (Think about kids with divorced parents after all.) Just try not to refer to your parents' house as "home" in front of you husband (unless he does the same)

What Guys Said 1

• Yes, that is normal nothing wrong with that.

What Girls Said 1

• I do that too and it makes my husband upset at times. Cause i actually call my familys place home and not my husbands. But if you stop going to their place for a long while then maybe it can make you stop calling your familys place home.

I was there the other day and I thought about this a bit more. I honestly hated being at my parent's house, which is why I moved out to live with my husband (boyfriend at the time). However, I miss THEM. If they were to move to another place, my home would be wherever the new place is. Home is not always physical, but it can live in a memory, experience, and especially people. I visited my in laws this weekend and I couldn't wait to get back to my home, with my husband only, away from theirs lol. That made me realize why I felt what I felt.