Do you believe people are single until marriage?

It's something I hear a lot in passing from family members.

That even if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend, you're technically still single until you're married.

Do you agree with this?

Most Helpful Guy

• No. If you have a romantic commitment with someone, you have promised being exclusive. Whether you have a government contract that binds you together with someone or not does not matter. Some couples choose not to marry and yet remain together for the rest of their lives.

They're not implying that people should go out and cheat on their significant other, lol. Not at they condoning it.

They're just simply stating they believe you're single until you're married. Like "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine." doesn't apply, things like that.

Well that's their belief. I believe that it matters if you two agree that it does, not when you put a ring on it.

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion, yes. Even if its in legal form. The reason why I say that is because in a dating relationship, the person is not legally "yours". The person is at liberty to do whatever they want to do. If they want to cheat, they can do it. You can get upset and end the relationship, but overall you cannot control what that person wants to do. In marriage, that counts for adultery and is grounds for divorce in some states. Dating relationships will still count as you being single, but you are 'involved' with somebody. Therefore anybody can risk taking you if you lose interest or become bored with the relationship. Pretty harsh, but sadly this ends the dating process.

I would still consider that person single until they are legally married. An engagement ring or the engagement itself does not guarantee the person will marry you, and likewise a similar event can happen where the person lose interest, cheats or have conflicting views, morals, etc. Nobody is safe. I believe that is similar to what somebody in the family was talking about. Not how exclusive you are, or wither or not your dating. Morally, legally and officially you are single but not available to date as you are being 'courted' by somebody else.

Pretty interesting view on it. i think it's probably the same way these family members I mention view it.

What Guys Said 29

• from a legal perspective sure they are single

but in my opinion if you are in a relationship with someone you are not single

• Yes, legally speaking they are single but practically speaking if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend even before then they are not single.

• No, that's placing far too much emphasis on marriage. You're single when you're not in love with someone in my opinion.

• I suppose it depends on how you view it some people or some cultures view it that way. Where even if your together with someone your still considered single until an official engagement.

Where as I am single until I am courting someone once that happens I'm off the market, exclusive for my partner only. But if I wasn't with anyone I'd be single.

It just depends on the individuals or cultures view on it.

Hope that answers your question. If I misread or misunderstood it let me know.

• No. I think that's foolish.

• No. I'd think most people would be exclusive in a commitment. A few might opt for an open relationship, a few others may even desist from defining their relationships. And then there's still the bunch who somehow manage to stay single all their lives. Well, take your pick.

• By law yes

It's also not adultry

The govt doesn't recognize your girlfriend as your partner

Society does

• nope. you have a commited relationship before you marry. it´s not like you meet a person in the streets and ask them to marry you xD you date first and then you enter a relationship before you marry.

• They are thinking in terms of marital status. Like once you get married you can never become single again, only divorced, seperated or widowed. In reality a wedding ring doesn't define your relationship status though.

That's not what they're thinking at all, but that's what you're thinking. So stop trying to project YOUR ideas onto others and claim them as their ideas and thoughts.

👍🏻 thanks for your opinion though

You're welcome, but you didn't clarify in your question and it is misleading. "Technically" as you claim they are putting it would imply marital status. So "technically" they are right but in reality they are wrong. Now everyone could be wrong if you didn't communicate what they are saying properly, I'm just taking it exactly the way you put it. :-)

• Legally, yes - cohabiting (common law) muddies the waters a bit.

• No there are so many people a couple before that

• No. You can be engaged and not single. You can also register a defacto relationship.

• if you have a boyfriend or a girlfriend then your not single

• bullshit

• in a word no

• No. Its not even true from a legal perspective where im from.

• you can't be single and in a relationship at the same time.

• Not really
    Cause if I was " single " I'd be dating other girls or flirting with other girls.

And I don't date that so I dint consider myself single

• I believe in abstinence, but No, I have never heard of anyone defining the term "single" that way.

• Nope. As long as you're exclusive, you're in a relationship.

• Yaaas.

• No.
    I know some married couples that were the singlest of singles I have ever met.

• Marriage is just a piece of paper real commitment is having a child with someone.

• they have a point tho

• No. If you have 3 dates with a person, I believe you are in a committed relationship.

• Legally Yes
    Technically Yes/No

• Not true, maybe they mean you're taking responsibility after marriage

• Wtf?

• legally, yes.

What Girls Said 17

• Yeah it's like that with some people in my country. Boyfriend/Girlfriend relationships are not viewed seriously, for many it's just friendship with feelings, but nothing sexual or barely any romantic gesture, you're basically out there (for other potential partners) until you officially get engaged.

• If you are referring to when that question comes up on official forms, then yes. You are single. If something were to happen to you, you do not have a husband or wife you are sharing money with and etc etc. It just gets more complicated when you are married.

I don't think they were ever referencing official forms, it's just what they say.

Oh well I mean I guess if you aren't married there is a lot less responsibility and such.

• No. Not really the "marriage is end all be all" type of girl myself.

• No, I don't think so. I certainly don't consider myself single.

• No, a committed monogamous relationship still counts as such with and without a special paper to say so.

• I disagree. In my opinion you are single when you don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.
    Just think about a couple who has been together for 20 years, who have kids and who are not married, would you say they are single? I wouldn't.

• Technically, it is. When I filled out a FAFSA for school, I put single even though I was certainly in a relationship at that time (not married). However, that doesn't mean you act single. If you are in a committed relationship, you act like you are in a committed relationship. If you are single, you act single! Bacially its just for the papers, nothing more.

• No but when filling out some doctor stuff that is the case. Since they have it as you're either married or single.

• Not at all. If you love someone and you commit to them and you share your life together and you both make a promise to be faithful, you are not single.

• no, if he or she has a bf/gf, then they are in a relationship.

• No. A boyfriend/girlfriend means you aren't single.

• Nope, that's really not true.

• No definitely not. you're still commited to someone either way

• No. I think when you're exclusive with someone, you shouldn't be considered single anymore.

• Well what else can you possibly be?

• Nah, I have a boyfriend. I do not consider myself as single.

• No I don't believe in that crap