Would you consider signing a prenup?

Inspired by this MyTake:
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/marriage-weddings/a30493-get-a-prenup-because-tragically-marriages-don-t-last

Basically an agreement made before marriage that says what happens to your assets in the event the marriage fails. Would you sign one with your partner?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would want one.

Women benefit from marriage, women don't need prenups becuase the true nature of female hypergamy is women fuck up to gain higher status which is done by divorcing men after men.

Thanks for the clarification. I hate people who preach misogyny. He was probably rejected once or twice and thinks all girls hate him, so in turn he hates girls. Back on topic though, I would personally get a prenup to protect me and my future wife.

I have never once talked to that person directly, so no idea why he was trying to project on me.

Yes, I think it's a smart move. It's there just in case; I can't see the future but of course I wish to be with my husband for our whole lives. Things can possibly happen, though.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't get married without signing one.

What do you want in it?

Just things to keep all prior income, debts and future inheritance to the original owner and to outline the division of property in the case of divorce.

In most countries those things aren't included in divorces by default.

Where applicable, I would also ask them to waive their rights for alimony/spousal support.
      I say "where applicable", but really I would only get married in place where that is possible.

Do you think that is reasonable? What if she stayed at home for a decade and hence has no job when you get divorced and trouble getting one, let alone one that pays enough?

@nalaa
      Somebody who thinks of to staying home for a decade has no chances of becoming my wife.
      So that isn't really an issue.

What Girls Said 20

• Yes for sure. Any girl who says she wouldn't is disproving fact that she is marrying for 'true love' like she surely mentioned in another question if it asked for what she is marrying. Things don't always work out. We need to plan for that so that things don't end poorly and most of our money ends up going to lawyers.

• Absolutely. No prenup, no marriage for me.

Side note, the irony is my boyfriend was very upset when I told him I want a prenup which is the other way around than usual!

I think he only says that because his parents are happily in love and he has a good example. I on the other hand, didn't and I've seen the ugly side of marriage where people get used.

Guess that shows how people have different experiences which reflect on their stance on certain things

• I have no problem signing a pre-nup, as long as it's fair. Don't expect a woman to stay home and care for the kids and then get divorced and be paid no compensation for the lost years of earning. A fair agreement about wealth brought forward is fine, detailing the arrangements in case you divorce is fine, but it has to be fair.

I'd never expect a woman to stay at home and care for the kids. It'd be her choice to do that and something we discuss as a couple.

@NeptuneOftheSeas LOL bro you never met girls in America, maybe they're decent like that in the UK to pay bills and do all those things but here NOPE these women will live off of us anyway they can if they have that mind set of thinking they don't have to work and sense they have our children we are forced to take care of them too haha you'd be amazed of how many women act like that out here

@Fuentes bro you have no fucking clue about me, you're literally just spouting your own shitty experience with women. I've already said I don't want kids so how exactly do I want to do fuck all and use the kids as an excuse to live off a man? Please do explain that to me.

People do work those hours and it's pretty hard going, the situation I was explaining was a mutual agreement. Again, you've gone off on a tangent and used your shitty baby momma as an example of all women. You've also failed numerous times to answer any of the questions I posed so I'm done with you now. Fuck off and whinge about your shit choice in women elsewhere. You're fucking boring me.

• I'd definitely sigh a prenup

• No I would not. My husband and I are both young and building our lives together. Our assets are shared. I can see how a prenup would benefit an older, more established couple.

What happens if unfortunately things don't work out? Who decides who gets what in terms of financial matters?

He can have what he wants, I literally don't care. He'll get half of my pay and majority custody of our child anyway. His car is his, his dog is his, hell he can have my wedding ring if he wants. Materialism is just not something I'm about.

• I'm not getting married without one lmao.

• I would. Makes no difference to me. As long as he cares for any kids we might have, I don't need his shit.

• Sure thing. I have no problem with that.

• I wouldn't get married without one.

• I have a prenup but it's very basic.

• During my very very brief engagement, I actually wanted a prenup. But he insisted on not having one. Even though he's worth a hell of a lot more than I am.

I think they're just common sense. You can't pretend 50% of marriages don't end in divorce. Hope he doesn't get fucked over by whoever he actually marries.

• Yeah I would.. I won't have any intention to keep his money when I won't have the person I love.. 😕 we'll just part our ways..
    Unless he cheats.. then I'll be dragging him to court for every penny he's got

• In general yes, but it depends on what it says specifically. I think the law is quite reasonable already so I don't know what he would like to add?

I don't know, if I were to sign one, it would just make clear what my assets were before marriage and what her assets were. Just makes sense so that you don't have to go through a long legal battle for no reason.

Women almost always get custody of the children, men usually have to give their net worth to the women, they usually have to pay crushing alimony and/or child support payments, etc.

@TheSpartan
      I think your perception of this is very biased. If you actually look at the laws they're not sexist.

I'm pretty sure custody is shared by default in most countries. If you don't want your partner to have custody you have to go to court and prove that your partner is an alcoholic or whatnot. I highly doubt courts in the US gives mothers full custody without a reason.

Similarily, in every country I'm aware of, alimony is awarded to the partner that has a lower income or no income. I highly doubt courts in the US make men pay alimony even if he makes less money. But giving it the partner with no income is not sexist, it's the only reasonable thing to do

"men usually have to give their net worth to the women" I have no idea what that is supposed to mean?

• I don't think so.
    A prenup in our marriages... religious /traditional usually lists different things.. not financial.. I am not sure. I would have to learn more about it.

• No. why would i self prophecise divorce on my marriage? I dont go into a marriage thinking of divorce or that this is " mine" and this is "his" but its " Ours". That mind set is why the nuclear family is dying.

• No I would not

Why not?

Besides marriage should be based on trust, if my marriage will be based on a piece of paper then no thanks I'd find someone else

@fuentes you're a judgmental prick and I can't be asked to argue with you, got better things to do

• Wouldn't even think about getting married without one

• No. No way no how lol

• To me that says you believe your marriage is going to fail. So no.

• I would sign one, however I have always thought about situations where the woman gets pregnant and then has to quit her job because majority of the time it's the mother who takes care of the kids by staying home. It worries me that if things go bad, in a situation like that, that perhaps your life goes on pause or you have to start your career again to support yourself and the guy just goes on living his with no road bump. Once again I haven't gotten married so I could be very wrong.

When my parents divorced, my father walked off with my mums 3-4 million dollars and left our life's and that was my mums. So to save that it makes sense to sign it.

You shouldn't get any of the guy money either.

And that's right, my point was no one should get anyone else's money but what happens when the mother makes the scarifices to quit her job and what not to take care of kids. Almost puts me off having kids because it feels unfair that it falls upon the woman. She won't be able to make money to support herself but the guy will during that time.

What Guys Said 19

• I understand the prenup and why you'd want it and I understand divorce rates are high. But in my opinion and the statistics support that opinion. If you get a prenup the likelihood of you getting a divorce goes up substantially. It's essentially saying, i dont think this will work and i dont want to risk it so I'm getting this contract for when it fails.

If you're all in, then be all in. Getting a prenup is leaving one foot out the door. If we dont want to be screwed in the event of a divorce, then a better change would be through what the laws of divorce entail. Like a cap for how long someone is required to pay alimony if any. And changing how child support system works. Having a contract for who pays for what, so whoever is paying isn't just handing over money, but money orders.

• The Netherlands passed a law making prenups the default type of marriage contract. This should be the law everywhere. Yes I would sign one.

Guess I know where I'm moving to

• Prenups are for if you have a lot of money or assests pre marriage but marriage in itself mrans both of you putting all you have into your union fot benefit, fulfillment of both partners. If a partner who was with you from the start and helped support you every step of the way to financial success large or small then together you both built that and is naturally entitled to as much as half or less but the likes of a gold digger who marries a guy for money deserves little or none, like if you married Ted Turner you didn't have to change no diapers or wait tables.

• No, I would not. A prenuptial agreement offers an "easy way out". If I'm getting married, then why am I putting that legal barrier around things? Two don't become one if that's the case. There is absolutely no way that I would sign a prenup.

lol famous last words... when she takes 2/3 your loot. get a prenup, look at the odds

over 50% end in divorce
      over 70% initiated by women... there's a reason.

• Yeah but judges can toss them out at their discretion so I'm not sure they offer that much protection.

• sure why not

• Yes, of course.

• I would do I anyway for business purposes. I am self-employed and about to start my own business. In case I fuck up I don't want her to be responsible for that.

• Why not?

• I wouldn't consider marriage to start with, Like I want women to screw me over. Prenup isn't 100% secure you know.

• If you don't sign a prenup in this day and age, you're an idiot. It's getting rarer and rarer that marriages survive all the way through.

• no. marriage is for suckers... and women.

• If I have a lot of money when I get married, I'd want to get one.

• Of course so the women can't take your money. I notice the feminists commenting on here are expecting the guy to pay out in divorce. Just goes to show that feminism isn't about equality.

• I'd do it depending on the situation

• I wouldn't be opposed to signing a pre-nup but it does make the whole prospect of marriage feel like a business transaction which leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

• If I ever get married than yes.

• Me and my fiance signed one for my wedding next week

Good luck with your marriage!

• yeah man, i can see myself sneaking in some sexy bdsm rules in there that my wife must submit to me. hahaha that would be fun.