Opinions on young marriages like married at 19 or 20?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on your attitude. Just two generations ago, this was common and worked out reasonably well because there was lots of sexism. Men and women each had definitive roles and, if you understood those roles, life was alright even if it wasn't perfect. My parents were married for 41 years until my dad died. He had just turned 22 when they got married and my mom was 18. I was born when she was 19 and baptized on their first anniversary.

Now, I'm not advocating sexism, but, in today's world, marriage means successful compromise which wasn't necessary in the past. Many of today's young people don't like compromise. So, if you can adequately compromise and be mature, then, sure you can make it work, but, more than likely, it won't work so young.

Thanks yes he's very committed and we're both religious and don't believe in sex till marriage and don't want divorce. He's a very serious and devoted guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I wouldn't because I think at that age there's still so much more to know and learn but I see nothing wrong with it. Everyone is entitled to do what they want and it shouldn't be anyone else's business. I've seen plenty of people get married young and still successful, and very much in love. Really depends on the individuals in that particular relationship

What Guys Said 15

• If I married that young, it would not have worked. I was not mature enough to really underestand all that marriage takes. Most that age aren't. This is why they usually don't last. I purposefully waited until I was 24 to consider it. Another thing I think is important is your experiences at the age of 19-20. Most of us haven't been in relationships that were solid enough to teach us a lot of what we need to know. You can be taught things that are needed between the two people, but putting them into practice is another thing entirely. Before all of you that think I'm nuts or too old to know, please save your comments. Remember, this is my opinion and we all have a right to our opinions. I've seen too many stupid comments made by young people, especially boys and men, know it alls, yet they can't understand this is an opinion forum.

• Most don't make it past 2-3 years. The ones that do last are due to the couples heavy involvement in some religious community.

We are both religious

Yeah, those marriages last. What i have noticed is if one of the couple loses their faith, so goes the marriage. I grew in a heavily Christian community, i went to ALOT' of 18 y/o weddings. Some of them are going on the 10 year mark.

Either way Congrats you two.

• Go to Utah. That shit happens.

• Too young for me but everyone is different! Whatever makes you happy, just make sure to think about it being for the rest of your lives.

• Lol. Whom am I to judge? I'm way older and never been married.

• Way to young

• 20 is the best age to get married, at least for a female.

• Terrible idea. Most to all end. You need to have your youth and have fun.

• I am with it , do it if you're sure about it

• At the age of 20 it's hard to say you're financially stable, or stable at all actually. I think around 30 is the right age to think about children but that's just me.

• It'll end before you realized that it started.

• At least they reproduced. Good for them

• Who the fuck cares

• I think young love like that is amazing but as long as they really want to stay together. But sadly sometimes it doesn't work out because well they're still young😅😱

• retards

What Girls Said 19

• Its over 18, so why not? I knew people who got married at that age and is still married today and managing. One is the same age at me, and one got married at 20. Only immature people with unrealistic expectations and is shallow never last. If I would have found anybody to marry at that age I would have. But at the same time I'm glad. Went through too much problems at those ages, and my late mother was sick.

• Personally I feel like it really depends on the connection. How long have you been with that person o. o and can you stand being with that same person the rest of your life.

• My personal belief is that its too young to get married, but if both people in the relationship feel ready to handle everything involved in it then go for it.

• I find it way too young.
    I just see how I was when I was that age and how I am now. I've changed a lot and I'm pretty sure it would have affected the relationship as well. Sure, some people might be ready for it but I just can't understand why they wouldn't wait five more years.
    The only couple I know who did this had a kid a year later and two years after that, they got a divorce

• I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the guy you are marrying has brains and he is serious about the relationship. If he is not, then find another guy, or wait for his to grow up a little more. 😊

I agree! Yes he has the brains haha! He's very serious about our relationship and doesn't want sex till marriage and no divorce. He said he would already marry me but... is worried about what his family will think. They are very religious and may think things are too soon.

I think you guys should go for it, and don't care what other people say. If you think you are ready, then I think it is ok. If his family knows you, then they may be somewhat ok with it, as well. I am sure you guys will be happy together. 😊

You sound so nice and like a great person! Yeah thanks I think he's too scared to but we want to.

• It's good

• its perfectly fine as long as they ain't scared of commitment

• That depends on the individuals.
    Some are very mature, and I find it cool/ alright, not that shocking.

• Bad idea.

• I married at 20... I wish I had waited.

• Marry at 20 divorce at 30.

• They usually don't last

• I dont believe monogamy is natural so dont see the point of marriage period.

• They don't last.

• Oohhh sol earlyyy

• Sounds cool

• Anything goes today... live and let live... meh

• Its regretful. But i married an older man so i was able to go through with it. It depends on the people. My parents were married when my mom was 15 and dad, 25. Theyre still together now, mom is now 45, dad 55.

• I personally would never. There's stil too much to see and too many experiences too live. I'm a pretty romantic girl, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I would need to live new things and kiss around and have my heart broken a couple times before being able to truly love & appreciate someone's company. If you really like each other, just enjoy your time together and don't rush things... why put a ring on it so soon? Just live and see what happens.