Would you marry someone with a different religion?

Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a Muslim.
    1st wife :- She is a Muslim too.
    2nd wife :- She is a Jew.
    3rd wife :- She is a Catholic.

Did I make any of them convert? The 2nd is still a practicing Jew.
    3rd, she converted on her own accord.

Children, I tell them there is only 1 God and it is up to them to find out which is the right way and to be respectful of other people's religion. The children with the 1st wife don't have an option but to be Muslims. The 2nd, we teach them how to be both Muslim and Jewish. The 3rd, it used to be that they had both but their mother stopped them from having anything to do with being Catholic after she converted.

I still can have a 4th wife, maybe who knows I would get an atheist :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would. Having a good heart, being a good person and treating me right is what matters to me most. So, someone being different religion than me or having no religion at all, is not an issue for me. As long as both people respect each other and what they believe, than they can cohabitate peacefully and be happy even if they are different religions. Everything boils down to respect, as long as you have that, you're good as gold.

What Guys Said 16

• i couldn´t respect a person who superstitiously believes in everything an age old book says to the point where i´d like to marry them.

• As a "religiousless" (don't even know if this word exists) guy in a country were the vast marjority of the population has a religion... I think that there's a high chance of this happening. All I ask is respect.

• Being an atheist myself, I first wanted only a fellow atheist (like my first girlfriend) and then, eventually, I liberalised it a little, that I am okay with a person who has a cultural non-ritualistic affiliation to a religion.

Now I have liberalised it further, that I don't mind a religious person so long as she is able to accept constructive criticism on religion and she doesn't stress her opinion on me.

Technically, if I marry anyone who is not an atheist, I satisfy the condition of the question and yes; though my answer would have been different a couple of years ago, my answer now is YES, I am willing to marry someone with a different religion.

• Date, sure. I won't have children with her.

• no religion, but not a atheist either. Basically I dont really like people who are close minded and yes, I consider atheists close minded too. im something along the lines of agnostic but then again thats a broad term. I dont accept or deny anything unless its proven. I wouldn't want someone shoving down a 2000 year old book down my throat let alone my children's. I want my children to be free thinkers, and not think from a book.

I'm an atheist and I agree. If i were to have kids (eventhough i don't want any), I would want them to pick their religion or lack there of because they looked into it themselves. That is the conclusion they came to. I feel like indoctrinating a child to any ideology will make their thoughts not genuine.

@Kawaiigurl1234 their thoughts may be genuine if they are raised into it, but I think its wrong to manipulate your kids into thinking how you think. I used to be religious because I was brought into it and I couldnt imagine a world without because It was all I knew

Well for me personally it was i'm religous because my parents told me god is real and my parents never lie to me. Does this make them liars? Of course not. I just came to a different conclusion to religion than them.

• No, because there will be conflict that will destroy the relationship.

• I rather stick with a nice Jewish girl.

• Yeah I don't mind as long as she don't convert me to her own religion

• Nope. It makes raising children too difficult.

• No. I wouldn't marry anyone. But putting that asside, it depends. If they just never talk about it, that's fine.

• Any religion as long as she doesn't put the afterlife above her present life lol

• I wouldn't care.

• That awkward moment when you both think your spouse is trying to send your kids to hell...

• I don't know

• Absolutely. It's the same as marring someone of a different race. Love is love no matter what.

• Kum @ meh baby 👄💋

What Girls Said 19

• I would never be so closed minded as to limit myself from dating someone from a different religion, but realistically, I don't think I'd fall in love with someone who was religious. I, myself, am spiritual at best, preferring science over fiction, if you know what I mean. I just imagine myself falling in love with someone who holds similar belief systems as I do.

• No, it is difficult enough when you are in agreement on all the nonnegotiables. Alone, then to put something as important to me as not agreeing on my faith, that would be something that would be a deal breaker for me. I've known of more than enough couples who split over issues stemming from disagreement in their faith; I wouldn't want to open myself up for the probable heartbreak.

• I don't have a religion but yup. Not many would be too fond of spending the rest of their life with me though lol

• It depends on what the religion is and how religious they are. For instance if they try to force their own beliefs on me then no. If we can accept our differences in religion then we can work around it. My parents can be very religious and it feels straining when they force me to do certain things. Also they can come off as homophobic, which is what really bothers me. They need to be open minded

• nope, because it's the most important thing to me and I would prefer if he follows the same religion as me.
    Something about spiritual connection.

you clearly dont know what spiritual connection means, if you feel that religion has anything to do with connecting people.

@Bobbyhill1 my goodness.
      Having faith in same God is what the difference is.
      Believing in same heavan, same way of certain things happening that are mentioned in my holy book, and so on is just not the same is being with someone who believes in something different.

Marriage is not only about love between two people but is also an way of worship.
      It helps the two get closer to the God.

I cannot have that connection if I am with someone with different beliefs.

guess I never understand that. Will you also force your beliefs onto your children for spiritual connection?

• No because it might cause problems in how to raise the children.

• Sure, if I love them.

I mean, I'm not religious, but I'm saying if they believe in something I'd respect that.

• Unlikely. I feel like a religious person wouldn't wanna date ME as much as I wouldn't wanna date them anyway.

• Nope.

• No because i'm an atheist and that won't end well

• nope, i prefer something simple and not complicated

• No, because there will be a problem when we have children.

• I might have to since Zorostrians r so rare

• Nope. I'd rather marry someone with the same values and religion so that we can agree on what we want to instill morally to our children.

• Yes I would

• No I would not

• i don't think so

• No it causes too many issues on views, values and morals. Not just in relation to children but many other aspects of the relationship too. Religion isn't a hobby it is part of everything you do it can't be put away when you are with your partner.

• N. O.