What is the importance of marriage for you?

before marriage, we have sex, we do lots of sexual things... so what is the importance of marriage? even we have kids before marriage..

2mo What else?
2mo It is not a must to agree with me. You may not agree with me but when you tell this, please be more respectful and choose politer words

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I plan to wait until I am married (If I get married), before I do those things.
    Getting married mean you have to make a commitment. You have to stay with the same person till the end. Personal, I take relationships seriously, and I know I will put a lot of effort into a relationship. That is way I am not sure if I want to get married.
    If your going to get married, then you and the girl have to put a lot of effort in the marriage, together. It is not a one sided thing. If you make it that, then the marriage will fall apart.

Most Helpful Guy

• Being Christian, I believe marriage should always come before sex, and never take place with anyone other than their spouse.
    Either way, it should be seen as dedication in love. The two telling each other through it that they never want to leave their side, spending the rest of their entire lives together, and will never love any one else nearly as much.

What Girls Said 29

• We shouldn't have kids before marriage but I also wanna commit myself to someone with marriage.

• It's a vow to God that I stay with this person and learn to love him correctly till death do us p.

• Very important. In fact I will not have any sexual activity before marriage. And even maybe not kiss until after I get married.
    For me, my life would only be entirely complete after getting married to a good man.

We both are Muslim so we think same
      I wanted to see other people's ideas

"i know a few muslim girls WHO'RE..." :-D was it intended XD?

@ikterikhairmangdi nooo 😂😶

• I plan to be married.
    To me it's about making the love of my life (my partner whom I have been homeless with and struggled with) part of my family.
    Legally he is recognized so wherever I go, he is part of me and no one could disregard him as a simple boyfriend because he is so much more than that.
    I don't see it as a big deal. I see it as common sense because he is so important to me.
    Hearing my partner saying these vows would be incredibly significant because I know he would mean them.

In Early Medieval England before the church started regulating and recording marriages - you could get married just by holding each other's hand and promising vows to each other.
    Usually in a flowered field or somewhere romantic/enchanting.
    You'd have to be one before becoming one flesh.

Then the church spread this law that a marriage is only valid if taken in church with two witnesses.

So the initial origins of marriage are VERY romantic. The Church made it all institutional.

having sex, kids before the marriage? do u find it normal?

It is normal.
      Be ideal to marry the person you have a child with, because its not always planned.
      But accidents happen so don't marry someone or force a relationship just to be a family if you are wrong for each other.

Thanks for answer :)

• It's extremely important to me and my husband even in a time when marriage is becoming les and less common. It's not about a legal Union, it's about being committed to each other inside a loving monogamous relationship. It's more than just cohabitating with him it's about loving him enough to make a legal, binding contract with him that we will love, honor and cherish each other for the rest of our lives. It's about I love him enough that I'd marry him all over again even though it's not popular amoung our peers.

• I want marriage because it's a part of my culture-to me, I was raised to see marriage as the ultimate goal. Having sex doesn't muddle that idea to me :) I want to be married before I have a child, but if it happened before hand-nothing would change my view on marriage. Also, I'm not religious-so, it's not like I've broken some holy vow if I did any of these things before marriage.

• Muslims can'r have sex before marriage, so, we can't have children without marriage. so that's the important of marriage for me, also to live with my love one. It's not just the so called "title on a paper", it's more than that for us

I am a muslim too. I wish Muslim did this way... you know there are lots of Muslims living like an atheist

yeah i know... that's why marriage seems to be underrated for them, as they can do anything before marriage, so what's the point of a marriage if you can do that, right?

Absolutely right... if you don't want to get married and wanna have all sexual things, you won't find any importance of marriage..

• Marriage is when you have found the person you love and need. You finally want to become one. When you are married you are labeled as one body.
    But I mean what's the whole point?

A lot of people don't marry for such a reason and most of history, love wasn't even thought to part of marriage.

Your view is a beautiful one, but not one that many subscribe to anymore.

@Sami365 it's apart of law okay. I got it from a judge

Thanks for answer :)

• You get some legal benefits with marriage that you can't get without. That's really it anymore, unless you have religious convictions.

• Marriage only matters if both people are quite sure they're so in love that they'll be in a committed partnership for the rest of their lives. Otherwise, they should just date. I mean, divorce can get messy. Personally, I'm simply excited about enjoying the time I have with the one I love and wearing a diamond ring on my finger everyday. :) Some people make marriage a bigger deal than it should be.

• I don't do those before marriage, so marriage does have great importance for me.

I hope people think this way... they do their life just for sexual things...

• I will have sex before marriage but for me the goal is to have kids after I am married. I see marriage as a commitment that we will be together forever and build our lives and family on that foundation. I definitely want to get married but it isn't for everyone.

be ready for that goal to go out the window.

because, most who have premarital sex usually end up pregnant, with an std, or a broken heart.

@Sabretooth I am on birth control and I am a very cautious person who does not act on impulses without giving it thought. I will make him wear a condom as well. As for the broken heart thing... my heart has been broken before.

• Marriage isn't important. It's a choice to make a life long commitment with someone which you can make without marriage. You don't have to marry the person you love or want to make a life with. Only love, understanding, listening, and compromise will make it last. Not a piece of paper.

And yet, statistically speaking, married people are that much likelier to remain together than the unmarried whom shack up. Did you ever consider that maybe the act of marriage itself is a form of commitment?

@JRICHARDS1996 well of course it's a form of happiness. But I don't believe you have to be married on paper to have a happy life with someone. People don't have to go in front of a pastor or court to declare that they promise to spend their lives with each other. I'm sorry but with the divorce rate and all the nasty divorces I've seen people go through, it would have been much easier to just walk away.

And the whole world is killing eachother for a piece of paper

• I've honestly never seen the point to marriage. It's not really needed in the 21st century, but I am not against those who want it. If it makes you happy, go for it. I am just personally glad that I live in a time that it is not forced on me.

do u like to taste different males?

Anyway, Thanks for answer :)

And why are you avoiding my question? Whatever.

• Marriage is stupid, I try to keep the government out of my personal life as much as possible.

• Really important and no we doesn't have children before marriage this is dumb plus the child wouldn't have the same name as his mother..

• I want to get married so as I get to spend my life with someone I love and make half a dozen babies with them. Without marriage the kids would be bastards and that is not the best situation for them.

absolutely yeah... marriage is a awesome thing for kids, for relationship

• I think marriage isn't importance

• I personally don't plan on getting married or want to at all.

• Not important at all. Marriage is stupid.

• very important

• getting older and facing problems together, caring each other, commitment are everything!

• there isn't really an importance for it anymore in my opinion a piece of paper shouldn't prove your love to someone. at least that's my thoughts.

• Marriage has absolutely no importance to me.

• I don't get where men get this idea that marriage is a way to get money transferred to women since most men actually make LESS than woman!!
    My ex claimed to own a "business" yet he constantly "borrowed" money from me and then disappeared when it was time to pay back.
    I know women after women where their "men" disappeared on them after stealing their life savings and leaving them pregnant or with small children.
    Every fucking man I've dated in the last 5 years apart from the sleazeball who stole my money doesn't actually have a JOB! I get lame ass shit like "entrepreneur" who lives in a fucking rental and takes the bus because he can't even buy a fucking bycicle but wants to pretend that he's "environmentally friendly" and can't afford more than a fucking two dollar coffee for a date so get the FUCK over your PATHETIC asses thinking that WOMEN are the gold diggers when infact MEN are the fucking lazy ass GOLD DIGGERS who expect to make NO MONEY and still get their dicks wet, meals cooked, and clothes folded while they go back and live at their moms even at 40! GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELVES.

Ok… I got a little mad… not all men obviously some are amazing human beings.

Thanks for answer :)

Maybe it's time to look at the common factor in all of these cases

• Well, depends what you mean by marriage. Monogamy is important to me; i'm a very introverted person, i'm at my best one-on-one, and I form intimate connections with very few people. I like that I can focus all my romantic attention and sexual attraction on just my boyfriend, and I like that he feels the same. But I think it was better when marriage was a more private agreement between two people, like, historically a verbal contract would do really. And I don't think it should be about one day promising to stay with that person forever, because people change; you won't be the same people in the future, so how can you know what you'll want? It should be agreeing to be monogamous to that person for as long as you both want, and to treat them well: eg. be honest with them. Cheating would then be anything outside of what you agreed with your partner, that you didn't first talk out with them. You wouldn't cheat because you wouldn't want to hurt that person, rather than just because of one promise.

Marriage in the legal sense is all about capitalism; it was a way of trying to guarantee the parenthood of children for inheritance reasons. As a socialist, I do not like that aspect at all.

Although monogamy is important to me personally, also, I have complete respect for other lifestyles. People who are asexual aromantic, people who are polyamourous (sorry to anyone else non monogamous I didn't think of :s ) ; all cool with me as long as everything is consensual and nobody is hurting anyone else. I have great respect for diversity

• I used to look forward to getting married and being in a fully committed marriage, but now it's not want I'm looking for. Relationships don't seem to last for anyone, so my views have totally changed now

• Where I come from, the law favours the mother in a de facto (unwed) relationship, unless the mother has serious issues and is considered unfit to parent. So from a legal perspective, marriage makes rights more equal. There's also the cultural or religious influence to it - for some people, it's more important than the legal stuff. Personally, I think the commitment in a marriage is more binding and people generally treat it with more respect and gravitas than a de facto relationship. Each to their own at the end of the day!

• Not a fan of marriage. If you find a perfect person, then fine. But if you're gonna settle like most people, don't even bother.

women settle, men reach.
      age 36-45

because u lost the one thing that gave u attention, YOUTH.

Its hilarious how an average woman's physical shelf life is 16-25 and 25 is when it barely starts for most men, just LOL

Thanks for answer

What Guys Said 27

• Aside from legal considerations, marriage says to your partner that you feel so strongly that you are making a bond that cannot be broken easily. Words are easy to say: "I'll never leave you," but the first time there's an argument, you're packing your suitcase.

Marriages don't fail because it is a flawed institution. Marriages fail because people rush into them expecting that everything will be hot biscuits and honey and they are not willing to work on the marriage when they encounter problems.

If you are not ready for marriage then you shouldn't get married. There is no need to criticize marriage because that is an insult to all of the couples who are quite happily married.

So beautifully spoken! I wish I could articulate myself in the manner you did when I'm getting cornered into giving up my belief and faith in marriage. Thank you! Especially since it's coming from a man since most men these days are so jaded they are bitterly against marriage.

Thanks for answer :))

• If all you do is think that marriage is about steady sex, then you have no understanding about love and marriage.

Marriage gives you a sense of security. It is an amazing gift. Here is this other person who is saying to you "Hey! You know what? I like you so much that I want to spend THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH YOU! I want to be there for you and, of all the people in the world, you are THE ONE AND ONLY person who I want and trust to always take care of me, protect me, and look after my best interests.:

Furthermore, fortunately, adults realize this, thus we have marriage codified into law and that, not matter what any religion says, everyone deserves that have their relationship like that recognized - that the law says that the two married people are each other's best friends and the one to make critical decisions for the other in times of incapacity and also are the primary beneficiary of anything from the other.

• Well first we have to WANT to be together. Not staying together because an unplanned pregnancy. We have to have the same beliefs and if we have different ones we have to both be on agreement to respect each others and not want to convert one another. We have to talk about how to raise our kids. We have to talk about our life goals. We have to talk about where we want to live. If there's any disagreement dependibg on how important it is to you, you may not want to get married. I personally couldn't marry anyone who didn't want to travel to other places in the world because that's what I want in life. If we argue too much we shouldn't get married. If we haven't experienced living together we shouldn't get married unless we spend tremendous time together and are confident we'd be able to do it. If we have never spoken on a deep personal level, if we've never cried together, if I can't feel comfortable to be myself, if I can't express my interest which include sexually, what I feel mentally, how I want to live physically we probably shouldn't get married. If you discourage me to do things that in no way will effect my life negatively talk down on me or one of us is constantky out of touch with the other we shouldn't get married. If you can't trust the other person fully it's a horrible idea.

I have to have all that worked out before I could ever actually agree to spend the rest of my life with someone. I don't want to get divocrced so it needs to be done right the first time for me. If there's anything I'm picky about it's definitely who I plan to marry.

• There is none. It's just another way to transfer resources FROM men TO women. And divorce is yet ANOTHER chance for a woman to get free shit, paid for by a man.

Marriage is a dying concept. Its end can't get here fast enough.

• Marriage is about responsibility not just sex

If people are true to each other then they don't even need the institution of marriage.

Honey, people are living together, having kids, living in the same home without marriage. They think they are true for themselves. But again they don't get married

Read again...

• Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman, it is one in which the couple agree to care for each other in sickness and in health. Married couples usually have children after getting married and are a key part of that child's development. Sure there may be individuals who get married and then divorced after a short period of time but that is because they get married too quickly. This does not reflect on the nature of marriage but on the individuals who treat marriage as simply something to try.

I hope to get married some day and have kids.
    It's something that is very important to me.

• The importance of marriage can only be grasped by those whom are married. Every married person I know insists ardently that they would not change their decision if they could, and that those who liken living together to marriage are foolish at best. Marriage is the definitive last step in a relationship. Hence why the same people who dismiss it as useless are the same ones who fear it, because deep down they know that it is different and higher.

• Marriage is supposed to be the foundation for family.
    Family is the foundation for community
    Community is the foundation for government

This is the way it is supposed to work. It does not work the way it was supposed to and is even less efficient with scattered dysfunctional families.
    It is what it is

Just my opinion

• Marriage is useless and a (legal scamming) tool invented by the government (who collect our taxes and dictate us with their laws and want to control us with their media), the church and religion (who manipulate us people with their nonsensical beliefs and delusions).

People can get married but I will not, ever.

(To hell with marriage)

• If you're non-religious, like me, marriage has no real meaning. It's more like icing on the cake. A big love ceremony. It's not necessary, but I would totally do it if my girl wanted to.

It wasn't religious until the early medieval Catholic church decided to regulate it. It was cultural.. more a romantic ideal of two lovers promising to each other and moving in together to make a family.
      Assuming you are talking about Western Marriage.

Thanks for answer :)

• it has many benefits to women since divorce court favors them 7 to 1.
    women also KEEP the benefit (security) in divorce in many states (alimony, maintenance and other disempowering factors of feminism)
    men keep nothing from marriage in divorce that they got from the (traditional) woman.

it has no benefits to men.

• I don't see point of it - Just cohabit and have kids

• It's not important to me at all.

• Very little importance at this point of my life.

• Importance? Absolute bottom on my priority list. Actually it's not even on my priority list haha

• Taxes...

• Marriage is the biggest gamble in your life in my opinion.

• marraige for a man is like tampons for him
    useless

• Love- Is the most important thing to me

• Well for me its important, i will only have sex after marriage when i marry a cute good girl.

• i think marriage in your case is only for her rights

• Its just a trap women fool men into

No trap on our end. Many of us don't even want to get married. Marriage was likely a concept created by men anyway

Thanks for answer :)

• Been there, done that. Lost everything. marriage is a sham

• not interested in marriage at all. i had emotionally abusive parents though so I decided marriage ain't for me.

• Not much except you can get your spouses health benefits and pension when you have that license

• marriage is no longer an important thing to me

• It holds none. That is why I don't want to get married, among other things.